Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor III

Is the NUC8i7HVK about to get a BIOS update?

I am just about to rebuild my NUC8i7HVK and I noticed that the NUC8i*BEH based NUCs just got a fairly substantial BIOS update. Is the HVK up next?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

Doc

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
Highlighted
Super User

@BHarr8​ ,

1. I hope that you realize that NUC8i7HVK and NUC8i*BEH are completely different computers. There is no "competitions" or whatsoever between bios updates for different machines. Bios is updated only if needed (and not on some scheduled base).
  2. Fact that Bios ver. 0071 was released for NUC8i*BEH and version 0054 for NUC8i7HVK is not related for "better treatment" given for NUC8i7HVK, but that there was not need for update.
  3. Now, after all explanations in the above paragraphs, could be that in nearest future we will see new version for NUC8i7HVK. This fact should not have any impact of the day you will start rebuild your NUC.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor III

Do you pay attention to the security issues involving Intel? The BIOS updates incorporate microcode updates and new BIOS incorporating those microcode updates do come out around the same time.

I also use RAID and it is likely that this will see an update in the next BIOS update.

Starting from square 1 with the current BIOS is simple best practices, not sure why anyone would recommend against it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

1. I've never recommended not to update Bios. I've my Bios and Drivers updated to latest version. Intel is not publishing date for future Bios release. The version 0054 is currently the latest version for NUC8i7HVK. I'm working with this version installed, and don't have any problems. Once new version will be release, I'll update my NUC.
  2. If you are so concerned with security issue, you should be aware that while computer is connected to Internet, it is vulnerable to hackers attacks. Firmware update can protect you from some know vulnerability, but never will hermetically safe. The only way to keep your data safe from hackers, is keeping your computer disconnect from Internet.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor III

How is #2 helpful? I have been on this forum for a while now and at first there was some helpful advice but today there are more than a few really sarcastic "helpers".

In the past I have asked about upcoming product and updates and gotten useful feedback, today its always like that scene where the Wizard of OZ is questioned.

Some examples of good support on this forum:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490VczSAE/clarification-on-16511030-issue

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490XKKSA2/380gb-m2-905p

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

The bios update (0056) is available now.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28820?product=147502

Doc

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
0 Kudos