Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

11298 Discussions

Is this possible to upgrade the CPU on Intel® NUC NUC5PPYH

QVu1
Beginner

I am using Intel NUC NUC5PPHY with Intel Pentium N3700. I want to upgrade to Core i3 or I5. Is this possible to do that?

If yes, please give me some suitable CPU.

Thanks

1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

No, it is not possible to upgrade the processor in any of the NUCs. They are permanently mounted on the board. Your only real choice is to purchase a replacement unit. There are lots of NUC models with 5th and 6th generation Intel Core i3, i5 and i7 processors to choose from. The 6th generation models require DDR4 memory, which means you cannot use the (DDR3L) memory that you have in the PY NUC.

Hope this helps,

...Scott

View solution in original post

6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

No, it is not possible to upgrade the processor in any of the NUCs. They are permanently mounted on the board. Your only real choice is to purchase a replacement unit. There are lots of NUC models with 5th and 6th generation Intel Core i3, i5 and i7 processors to choose from. The 6th generation models require DDR4 memory, which means you cannot use the (DDR3L) memory that you have in the PY NUC.

Hope this helps,

...Scott

View solution in original post

MrSoze
Beginner

Please congratulate the Intel staff on the absurd choice of soldering CPUs permanently to your boards. This guarantees that the format will fail and in a few years it will be obsolete and forgotten. What Intel did with its motherboard division (wipe it from the face of the earth and erase all downloads) will happen to Intel NUCs, but this it will be the users' decision, not Intel's.

Soon other manufacturers will creat NUC clones with removable CPU sockets and you'll be done. Great choice, again. You have succeeded in ensuring your inevitable failure with this product.

AlHill
Super User

Do you have a question?

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

idata
Community Manager

Scott is right, we cannot upgrade the processor on any Intel® NUC, for you to have a new processor version you will need to purchase a http://ark.intel.com/products/series/70407/Intel-NUC-Boards-and-Kits new Intel® NUC

Best wishes,

Ivan

exopina
Beginner

I have NUC5i5RYB and desperately need a CPU upgrade.  Do I need to replace entire casing or can I replace just the CPU? Any CPU's you would recommend that would fit my case?

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @exopina 

Please read Scoot's post above (in the green frame).

Leon