Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ERegn
Beginner

Is warranty voided if I solder header pins on the motherboard?

Jump to solution

I'm talking about the directs header pins on the motherboard, those which on the NUC5iX series are displayed in the technical manual (see attachment 1), but in the NUC6iX series are not only absent in the manual, but they haven't been even soldered on the motherboard. The same with the NUC5PGYH model.

They are still present as contacts on the motherboard, but need to be soldered directly.

Attachment 1 - NUC5i5 header pins. Attachment 2 - NUC5PGYH header connectors without pins.

I had to solder 2 wires for the remote power trigger and 2 wires for an activity LED.

On that model these connections are even double, why? They both work.

Long story short: if I solder wires on the header connectors, is the NUC warranty still valid?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
AlHill
Super User

No, the warranty is void since you have physically modified/damaged the board. Look under "What is physical damage?" here:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/services/000006268.html Warranty Services FAQ

Doc

View solution in original post

10 Replies
AlHill
Super User

No, the warranty is void since you have physically modified/damaged the board. Look under "What is physical damage?" here:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/services/000006268.html Warranty Services FAQ

Doc

View solution in original post

ERegn
Beginner

Thank you very much for such a fast reply.

Do you suggest to remove the soldered wires before sending it through the RMA?

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

If you've added wires, you've voided your warranty and you cannot send it back. Whether the wires are there or not really doesn't matter; Intel is not going to take it back.

ERegn
Beginner

But why? I did nothing that is listed in the FAQ.

"Screwdriver damage

Trace damage

Connectors and sockets

Recommended actions to reduce or prevent damage

Develop proper handling guidelines"

I read all these cases and what I did is not listed.

Why Intel provides a remote power on/off (as well other remote solutions) if the only way to achieve it is to void the warranty?

I am a "maker", and Intel's NUC boards should be the perfect choice for people like me, but if the warranty is void, what's the point at all?

n_scott_pearson

I am going to say two things:

1. By definition, you *have* damaged the board. Putting a soldering iron near the surface of the board can cause all sorts of unintentional damage (even if you are an "expert"; there is no way to guarantee against it).
  2. If there is no physical connector (with vertical pins) provided on the front panel header (i.e. you are looking at (and soldering to) bare pads on the board) then (a) this product, by definition, is not providing a remote power on/off capability and (b) when there is no physical connector provided, it is also possible (and perhaps likely) that there is missing circuitry associated with the support of this header.

I am not an Intel representative (well, not anymore, I am retired) and thus not the one you should be arguing with. I believe their response will be the same, however.

...S

JHoff6
Valued Contributor II

What about in cases like this: http://www.gorite.com/intel-nuc-hdmicec-adapterbroadwell-series-5th-gen-p8-nuccecv1-5 Intel NUC HDMI-CEC Adapter - Broadwell Series (5th Gen)

That's an Intel-approved partner selling an item with the following in the description: "NOTE : This unit will require you to solder 2 wires to your NUC PCB ( Red and Grey wires)".

n_scott_pearson

Same response. By my interpretation of the warranty, you would be voiding your warranty if you perform this operation.

...S

AlHill
Super User

As I am an old guy, I remember my successes at repairing and modifying single-layer boards. I also remember my failures at trying the same on multi-layer boards.

Doc

JHoff6
Valued Contributor II

I was being a little facetious. I agree with you, it likely voids the warranty.

idata
Community Manager

Hello:

Thank you very much to all the peers working on this thread, your comments are very useful.

To cpx1:

I just wanted to confirm the information posted previously as correct, if you soldered the header pins that will avoid the warranty, because as it was mentioned before, it is consider a physical damage.

I sent you a private message.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto