Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
12546 Discussions

Keep getting "Intel Optane memory application ran into a problem" on Intel NUC i5

Cage7500
New Contributor I

My son's computer (Intel NUC Frost Canyon i5, NUC10i5FNHJA) has started having some performance issues.  It has 16GB on Intel Optane memory.  But the Optane Memory doesn't appear to be working properly.  

Around the same time as the start of performance issues, he started noticing a small red X on the Optane icon in his system tray.  When you try to run right clicking and running the application from the system tray, you get a dialogue box with "The Intel Optane memory application ran into a problem."  And another dialogue box opens above the system tray that says "Intel Optane Memory.  An error occurred.  Click for more details."  Clicking for more details just brings up the first dialogue box.  

I don't know if it's related, but I tried running the Intel Driver & Support Assistant.  The webpage opens but gets stuck on "scanning your system" and never moves on to the next step.  

I've attached the Optane Memory log from my son's user profile (he's the primary user).  Also attached the log from my user profile; I noticed that it has several instances of this entry:

=====================================

ATAL2022-03-10 06:17:26 – Unexpected error

System.Management.ManagementException: Invalid class
at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
at System.Management.ManagementObjectCollection.ManagementObjectEnumerator.MoveNext()
at System.Linq.Enumerable.<CastIterator>d__97`1.MoveNext()
at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereEnumerableIterator`1.MoveNext()
at Utils.WMI.WmiProcess.CreateWmiProcesses(IEnumerable`1 managementObjects)
at Utils.SingleInstanceAppManager.IsThisTheOnlyApplicationProcess()
at OptaneUI.App.<OnStartup>d__3.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
FATAL2022-03-10 06:17:26 – Error code: 0xA0080014

=====================================

Any ideas?  Can I disable the optane memory somehow (not sure how as the application will not run), uninstall and reinstall the application?  Something else?

Thanks much.  

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
52 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

For starters, I would try a clean install of the package. Uninstall the package, reboot and then reinstall the Optane/RST package again. Here is download link for package: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19617.

Hope this helps,

...S

Cage7500
New Contributor I

Scott:  Thanks.  How exactly do I uninstall the package?  Just uninstall the Optane application?  Would I need to somehow disable (un-enable) the Optane memory first.  Sorry, don't have much experience with RST and the like...   - Mike

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee
I believe it can be uninstalled from the Apps & Features applet.
...S
Cage7500
New Contributor I

Scott:  Got it.  Thanks.  I'll try that this weekend.  Was worried I might have to do something with the BIOS.  - Mike

LeonWaksman
Super User

Be careful, before uninstall Optane Application, you have to disable Optane first. Otherwise you will have unbootable system.

Leon

Cage7500
New Contributor I

Leon:  Ok.  Thanks for that tip.  Thought that might be the case.  But how can I disable Optane if the Optane application won't run?  I thought you used the Optane application to disable Optane.   Any ideas?  - Mike

LeonWaksman
Super User
Mike,
I'm writing from my mobile. Once I'm back at home, will send you instructions how to disable Optane from BIOS.
Leon
Cage7500
New Contributor I

Leon:  Great.  Thanks very much.  - Mike

LeonWaksman
Super User

Mike,

1. First off all if you didn't yet, I suggest to have full image of you drive. I'm making backup with Macrium Reflect 8 Free 

which works good with Optane Enabled system.

2. Next, you may try to repair the Optane Application: Enter Windows Settings, Apps & features. Click on three dots on the R.H. side of Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management > Advanced options > Repair.

3. If the above not helps, see the attached video clip, how to disable Optane from BIOS. Since I've never did this, I asked for the backup in case that something goes wrong.

Hope this helps

Leon

Cage7500
New Contributor I
Leon: Thanks very much. I won't have time to try this out until next month. But I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again for you help.
Cage7500
New Contributor I

Leon: 

Late follow-up on this.  Thanks again for all our advice.  I followed your procedure to disable the Optane memory, saved and exited. I rebooted, then tried to uninstall the Optane memory application (version 17.7.0.1006). But then I get an error message saying "Intel Optane Memory Failure. Intel Optane Memory is Currently Enabled. Application cannot be uninstalled."

So, I tried again, but this time I saved the settings and did not exit. The BIOS screen said that it could take from "a couple of minutes to a couple of hours" for the Optane to be disabled. The screen also says to not restart the computer before that. So, I let the compute sit (with BIOS up) for eight hours. Then exited the BIOS and restarted.

But (again) when I try to uninstall the Optane memory application, I get the error message saying that I cannot because Optane is still enabled. The error message says to disable Optane using the Optane memory application. But - of course - I can't access the Optane memory application because it isn't working (see my first post).

Any ideas?  Thanks again.

- Mike

Optane Error 2022-04-16 184588.jpg

Steven_Intel

Hello Cage7500,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We would like to know if you still need assistance with this issue. If you do, please let us know.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

Cage7500
New Contributor I
Steven: Thanks very much for asking. I'm still having this problem, but I haven't had the time yet to apply the fixes Scott and Leon suggested. Do you think that approach (disable Optane via BIOS, uinstall, reinstall) is likely to be successful?
Steven_Intel

Thank you for your response.

Yes, please try the steps recommended by Scott and Leon, and let me know of the outcome. If the issue persists, I will need to investigate more about this.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Steven_Intel

Were you able to check the previous post? Please let me know if you were able to try the recommended steps.

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Cage7500
New Contributor I
Steven: Sorry. Haven't had time just yet. Thank you for keeping an eye on this. - Mike
Steven_Intel

Thank you for letting us know you have not tried the steps yet. As soon as you have an update, please let us know.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Steven_Intel

Hello Cage7500,

I am just following up to check if you were able to perform the steps. Please let us know as soon as you have an update on this.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Cage7500
New Contributor I

Steve:   Thanks for keeping your attention on this.  I should be able to (attempt to) repair the Optane memory this weekend.  I'll let you know how it goes.  

Mike

Steven_Intel

Thank you for your response.

Please let us know once you have an update on this case.

Best regards,

Steven G.