cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Kingston A2000 M.2 SSD problem Intel Nuc5i3RYK

Hi,

I tried to upgrade the 64Gb Sata M2 SSD in my NUC5i3RYH and after several tries I got into the Windows 10 setup (I had to enable Legacy boot). The problem I now have is Windows setup doesn't create the right partitions.

The error I get is "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computers hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu"

If I try to boot in Legacy it says there is no boot drive detected.

Does someone have a solution, or is the SSD not supported?

0 Kudos
30 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

You need to be in UEFI mode.  If your bios is not updated, it should be.

And, you should create your Windows 10 install media from here, following the Microsoft instructions:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

When you boot your install stick, select the UEFI option.

Do a custom install, deleting ALL PARTITIONS on the A2000, but do NOT format.  Select the unallocated partition, and let windows do the rest.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I've created the USB with the Microsoft tool and the USB is in UEFI mode if I check it at the boot devices. Bios is the latest version.

I can see the A2000 as NVME SSD in the bios but it doesn't show up in the boot devices when pressing F10. Deleting the partition also doesn't work, I get the same error message when trying to install Windows 10. Booting without legacy mode turned on gives me the "no boot devices detected" error.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

the A2000 is not going to show up in boot devices until you have an OS installed on it

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Tried again, got into Windows 10 setup but when selecting the partition I get this (sorry it’s in Dutch)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Sorry, I cannot read Dutch.  Translate it for me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

It cannot create a new partition or find a existing one. When I click on it I see this:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computers hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

In your bios, You have selected UEFI, and your SATA mode is AHCI?

In the Custom Install, after you deleted all partitions on the ssd, it is saying "unallocated space"?

When you booted the install stick, you booted it in UEFI mode?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Also, confirm the ssd size?  Is it 64GB or more like 250GB?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Some pics of the bios settings
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Old is a Transcend 64Gb Sata M2 and thr new one a 250Gb nvme M2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

In your third pic, uncheck legacy boot priority.

If this does not help, @LeonWaksman may be able to help, as I do not have that NUC.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

It won’t boot when I do that

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

This is what I see.

I get the feeling this ssd isn’t supported
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

When you use F10 to select a boot device, are you selecting the usb stick UEFI mode?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Screen blinks and nothing happens, doesn’t boot.

If I just boot it does go to Windows setup, but when disabling legacy it doesn’t boot at all.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Anoying I can’t edit my post.

What I mean is in the F10 menu I see the USB but when I select it the screen blinks and it goes back to the menu
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

I am going to defer to @LeonWaksman  He is the wizard on these nucs!

Highlighted
Super User

Hi @Mpothoven82  and @AlHill 

Checking at Technical Product Specification, para TABLE 1 (page 11) and para. 2.2.3.2 (page 47),it's looks to me that your NUC5i3RYK, equipped with I3-5010U CPU (your NUC) doesn't supports NVMe SSD. While NUC5i3RYK equipped with I3-5005U CPU supports such SSD (only with limited performance). So, I thing in your case you need to buy SATA SSD or, newer generation NUC.
I for my self, don't have NUC RY to verify this, but this is my understanding while I'm reading the TPS.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

But it does recognize it in the bios, it had the option for nvme.

Expansion Options
PCI Express Revision
Gen2

PCI Express Configurations ‡
M.2 slot with PCIe x4 lanes

M.2 Card Slot (storage)
22x42/60/80

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/83256/intel-nuc-kit-nuc5i3ryk.html

0 Kudos