Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PNomi
Beginner

LED Skulls / Eye and Power button not functioning : what do I have to do to have them on again ?

Since a few days ago, I have a problem with LED on my NUC Hades Canyon 8i7HNK : the LED skull is not working ( eyes also ) and the Power Button LED too. The two others front side LED are working. I have downloaded the Intel LED manager but cannot make them working again. I did not do any change to the BIOS set up, and the Bios / Drivers assistant is green ie my system is up to date ( BIOS v 0053 ). Any idea of what can cause this problem and how to solve it ?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

1. Please verify that the LED cable (under upper lead) is connected on both ends. If you didn't open this lead and the LED where working, there is no need to this check.
  2. Uninstall the LED Manager.
  3. Enter bios - press F2 during boot. Press F9 followed by "Y" to set bios default settings. Press F10 (Y), to save settings and exit to Windows.
  4. Check if the LEDs work now. Thay suppose to work without LED Manager. Now, you may reinstall the LED Manager.

BTW, on the front panel there are three LEDs in addition to the POwer LED: Disk Activity, Network Activity and NUC Performance.

Leon

PNomi
Beginner

Thank's for your answer but unfortunately it doesn't solve the problem :

• Skull + Eyes LED not working
  • Power Button LED not working
  • all three other LED working

I checked the BIOS settings and cannot see anything turned off.

As I did not open my NUC since installing the SSD and RAMS in August of last year I do not see the new factor that can explain this behavior.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

On a number of occasions, I have noticed that the Skull Lighting and LEDs will stop following the configuration that I put in place. When I see this, I simply open the LED Manager and click on my profile to reload my configuration and it is good to go again. I reported this issue to the development team but have not seen an update released since then.

...S

PNomi
Beginner

I have tried it already but no change... I think that the fact that I downloaded the LED manager after the problem happened might be a factor, as the configuration I saved is with the problem :+(( and before, I dod not even know there was a LED manager software because I did not needed it.

I am contacting the Technical Assistance and will keep this file informed.

LeonWaksman
Super User

In order to ensure that the problem is not caused by hardware (for example disconnected cable) please enter into Power Button Menu. While displaying Power Button Menu, all LEDs including Scull/Eye and the Power Button LEDs. The LEDs should be illuminated irrespective of settings in BIOS or in Windows software.

In order to enter Power Button Menu, press on Power Button and keep it depressed while counting: 1001, 1002, 1003, 1004. Release the Power Button and the NUC should boot into Power Button Menu.

If the LEDs will be illuminated, the problem is in your settings/installed software. If the LEDs will be not illuminated, please open the upper cover and check that the connectors are probably inserted.

Leon

PNomi
Beginner

Thank's again - I've done as you said and it is not software related as I got to the Power Button Menu without skull / eyes on ... so it must be hardware related.

I will open my NUC when I come back, as I have a ton of work to do and then leave for a week.

I'll keep you posted.

uhoh
Novice

Try this: unplug it, wait, and plug it back in.

Not being sarcastic! This may actually be your solution. I think there is something off about how power is drawn in the unit that occasionally causes the LEDs to not function. I have this same issue intermittently on my NUC and unplugging and replugging it fixes it every time.

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello PNomi, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you. If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation