MNeug
Novice

LG27UD58 disconnects when trying to install Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Hello,

I just bought a NUC 6i7KYK.

The system:

- RAM: 1x Crucial 8 GB DDR4 2133 SODIMM 1.2 V CL15

- SSD: 1x Crucial 275 GB MX300 SATA M.2 2280SS

- BIOS: updated to 0050 (0041 was installed)

- Monitor: LG 27UD58 UHD 4K 27"

The goal:

- running Ubuntu 16.04.3 Desktop

The method:

- downloaded the Ubuntu ISO image to my Win 7 HP EliteBook

- prepared a 16 GB SanDisk USB 3.0 stick using rufus 2.18.1213 (thoroughly formatted and checked for defects, took almost an hour ...)

- booted the NUC with the USB in the front blue USB slot of the NUC (haven't tried others because that is not a very likely cause); power, HDMI, ethernet, mouse and keyboard connected

- the NUC recognises the boorable device and steers me right to the grub screen of the Ubuntu installer

so far so good ...

Now the issue:

No matter what option I choose (try Ubuntu without installing, installing Ubuntu or installing Ubuntu as manufacturer (yup, I even tried that)) the connection between the NUC and the LG is lost. The power Button on the NUC does not indicate anything. The device just keeps running (LEDs on without blinking or beeping and fan running). I supose it's loading the installer for Ubuntu, but I cannot see that because the monitor goes to power saving mode. Switching the RAM to the other slot didn't help. The compatibility between the NUC and the LG doesn't seem to be the problem, because I see things. I see the boot screen, I can enter the BIOS (obviously since I updated it) and I see see the initial Ubuntu boot screen. The bootable USB device isn't the cause either, because I can boot my EliteBook with it and go all the way to the actual Ubuntu installer. I can not test another monitor (do not have access to one with HDMI connection) or different RAM.

Anyone got any ideas how to solve this mystery? Or am I missing something obvious?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
MNeug
Novice

I just tried Linuxmint 18.3 and I noticed that, for a very brief moment between the Linux boot screen and the disconnect, the NUC displays an error message. It is there for a very short time (I had to do a series of photos to capture and actually read it). It reads:

[ 5.622448] mmc.0: Unknown controller version (3). You may experience problems.

Well, indeed I do ...

I suppose this message is also displayed when I try Ubuntu. I'll test that.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Is your BIOS set to default settings? If not, enter BIOS setup (press F2 during bot when F2,F7,F10 menu appears). In BIOS, press F9 followed by "Y" and then F10 followed by "Y" to save the settings and exit.

Leon

MNeug
Novice

I suppose it was (why would a new NUC/BIOS not have default settings loaded?). I didn't change anything besides updating to 0050. But I nonetheless did as you suggested and reset the default settings. I am currently reformatting my USB stick to return to the Ubuntu installer. As soon as I tested these "new" settings I'll get back to you.

LeonWaksman
Super User

1. Did you checked in BIOS settings that your SSD is recognized? Can you see it in BIOS?

2. Press F10 during BOOT phase in order to enter to the BOOT Menu. Please attach an image of this menu.

Leon

MNeug
Novice

The reset did not help. Same error.

How do I know that the settings are actually the default? After F9->yes there is not really a confirmation of the reset.

edit

Yes, I do see both SSD and RAM.

edit2

I attached the image or the boot menu.

LeonWaksman
Super User

1. Boot again and press F10 to enter the BOOT menu.

2. Move cursor to the last line - UEFI option and press ENTER to boot from UEFI.

Leon

Edit:

See the following information how to install Ubuntu (copy this link without quotes): ' https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI ' . In your installation you need the 64bit version of Ubuntu.

MNeug
Novice

Same error. Although, the grub menu looked bigger this time, probably different resolution.

btw

I noticed that the BIOS displays my system as Intel Desktop Board NUC6i7KYB. Shouldn't this be 6i7KYK?

edit

It is the 64bit version. (file name is "ubuntu-16.04.3-desktop-amd64")

LeonWaksman
Super User

Sorry, can't help. The NUC6i7KYK is for the kit model (K stands for all Kit), while NUC6i7KYB is the board identification (B stands for Board). So, the identification is OK.

Leon

Edit:

I know that you want install Ubuntu, but just for a test, can you try Windows 10 installation? You can prepare installation media and download Windows for Microsoft site: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 Download Windows 10

MNeug
Novice

The MediaCreationTool produces the error 0x8007EE2, despite an existing connection to the internet.

LeonWaksman
Super User

When this error occurs? While the Media Creation Tool is trying to save Windows image on it? If, the answer is positive, use other USB or if you don't have one try to reformat your USB using SDFormatter tool: ' https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/eula_windows/ ' (copy this link to address bar in your browser without quotes).

Leon

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Ubuntu 16.04 may not have full and proper support for the processor and chipset. Try using the 17.10 version and see if that does better.

...S

MNeug
Novice

I double click on the .exe and after about one or two minutes of nothing (no hint of anything doing anything on my computer) I get the error message. I already tried with disabled Windows Firewall.

edit

The ubuntu-17.10-desktop-amd64.iso doesn't work either.

I'm going to wait if Intel knows more about the error message. I don't believe it's the OS. There are people who successfully install Ubuntu on their 6i7KYK (example: https://github.com/rm-hull/skull-canyon GitHub - rm-hull/skull-canyon: Notes on setting up Ubuntu 16.10 (Yakkety Yak) on Intel NUC6i7KYK). Also, Intel lists Ubuntu as customer reported compatible with this NUC (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005628/mini-pcs.html# secondTable Supported Operating Systems for Intel® NUC Products).

MNeug
Novice

The error indicates some issue with the SD reader. I found several other Ubuntu/Mint/Arch users have had the same problem, one even with the 6i7KYK. But this user never got a helpful response or gave a follow up whether he/she found a solution. The most common fix requires a running OS. It just blacklists the SD reader. Another fix is adding acpi=off to the boot commands in the grub menu; didn't change a thing for me. I also tried disabling legacy boot in the BIOS as is recommended by Intel themselves ... for other NUCs at least. And I even disabled the SD reader entirely via BIOS. But the only good that did was an error during boot, so that I didn't even get to the grub menu any more:

"PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent.".

Well, I think I will have to let the matter rest for this year.

MNeug
Novice

So, the new year brought some progress. By adding 'nomodeset' as a boot parameter I was able to both start the Ubuntu 17.10 trial and also get into the the installation routine afterwards.

However, I ran into new trouble:

When launching the Ubuntu trial I'm unable to start applications. I tried 'install Ubuntu 17.10', Firefox, and settings. After starting from the desktop nothing happens. Starting from the applications menu returns an Input/Output error each time.

When I try to install Ubuntu 17.10 I get to the screen where the installer wants me to select whether I want Updates installed during installation and if I want third party Software. I select both and click to go on with the installation. But then I'm kicked out of the installer and error messages are displayed on the screen (see attached image 342). A similar error was displayed after I wanted to restart out of Ubuntu (some more lines but in essence the same).

Then I wanted to restart the machine via the NUC's power button and the errors multiplied changing the figures slightly.

Could this mean a defective SSD? Should I try the 16.04.3 LTS?

A question regarding this forum's etiquette: Should I post this as a new question since my original problem is solved and this seems to be a different issue?

edit

I added an image of the second screen with more of the error messages.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Sure looks like a problem with the SSD, but I do not know what effect(s) these parameters might have on SATA device access. If it is the SSD, this will be second time within a month that I have seen a user having problems with a MX300 drive.

Something additional to try: Go into BIOS, disable the SD card reader and then try to install Linux without any parameters.

Hope this helps,

...S

MNeug
Novice

I was able to install Ubuntu 16.04 via another USB device.

So the answer to my initial question would be: Add 'nomodeset' as boot parameter and use Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.