Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Volker_S_Intel
Employee

Latest FW HN0053 not working properly as FW HN0052?

Upgraded BIOS on NUC8i7HVK from FW HN0052 to HN0053. After no boot path found (even not with recovery usbs boot). I downgraded back and the boot path at M.2 installed SSD was visible back and been able to boot successfully.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

1. If you are not have Samsung SSD installed, probably the update to version 0053 is not significant for you, however I can only ensure you that I have bios ver 0053 installed and works without problem.
  2. What method dis you use to update bios to version 0053?
  3. Did you get confirmation that bios was successfully installed?

Leon

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Yea, BIOS 53 installed cleanly (used F7 method) and my HV booted without issue afterwards. I am using Intel SSDs in my HV. The major fix in BIOS 53 was related to Samsung eDrive encryption. Are you using a Samsung SSD? Do you have encryption enabled?

...S

Volker_S_Intel
Employee

1. I'm not using Samsung SSDs. Intel only.
  2. Both tried: Windows and BIOS update methods. Both have had the same results.
  3. Yes both methods have been confirmed installed successfully.

The 0053 can't be only Samsung related because 0052 works and 0053 not in my case.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Fact is that many users have this version (0053) updated successfully. I suggest that you update your bios using bios recovery method with Security Jumper removed.

Bios Recovery with Security Jumper removed: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html

1.Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 with Bios file HN0053.bio https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28458/BIOS-Update-HNKBLi70-86A-?product=126143 . Format your USB with Quick Format option unchecked. Do not format your USB in MAC (OS) or Linux machine. Use Windows.

2. Disconnect the power adapter and remove the upper cover and the LED panel from your NUC. Disconnect the LED panel connector before panel removing.

3. Remove the yellow security jumper (see Product Technical Spec, para. 2.2.3.4, page 46 ) and close the bottom cover. https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/nuc-kits/NUC8i7HVK_TechProdSpec.p...

4. Insert the USB with the HN0053.bio file.

5. Reconnect the power adapter and power ON the NUC. Wait 30 sec - 2min. The Recovery process will start automatically and will end after 2 -5 minutes.

6. When bios recovery completed, switch the power OFF, remove the power adapter and replace the Security Jumper (pins 1-2) . Reinstall the LED panel and the upper cover.

7. Power your NUC ON.

Hope this will work

Leon

Volker_S_Intel
Employee

Why I should do that having a running a FW 0052 version? Sorry, I will not start additional recovery options and may getting into additional issues on. So, remaining on - in my case - stable 0052 - and may it is worth waiting for Intel contributers for analyzing the issue.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I will say two things. First, you are not going to know if the issue is something in your particular NUC's BIOS (which, based upon the fact that you are the only person reporting this issue, is likely) unless you make the attempt to install this BIOS again (using BIOS Recovery (as Leon suggested), since this ensures everything is completely overwritten, and then (my recommendation) resetting/reestablishing BIOS configuration). Second, regardless of whether or not BIOS Recovery actually addresses the problem, doing so will help determine whether there is a BIOS issue to be looked at (I can just about guarantee that the BIOS team will not look into the issue if you are the only one reporting it; Intel's BIOS team would get absolutely nothing done if they were forced to investigate every individual sighting received).

Bottom line, it is in everyone's best interest if you do the BIOS Recovery. If you want to wait and see if others report the same issue, we can't force you, but that's really not in the spirit of community cooperation.

...S

Volker_S_Intel
Employee

I would be very carefully with the bottom line statement not knowing about the circumstances. The NUC is a production NUC, so not able to start testing or even - as already stated - not may getting more difficulty.

So I will wait for next releases then.