Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Locked out of my NUC, help!

I think that I trapped into a BIOS bug (bios version is most recent, I flashed the latest one from the Intel website a few days ago).

I had lots of trouble getting Windows 7 installed on that thing (this is another story), and at one deperate point I enabled the BIOS function "BIOS setup auto-entry" in the boot configuration.

The result is that I now get the attached screen when powering on. The problem here is that the BIOS hasn't initialized the keyboard at this time! There seems to be no way beyond this point.

I tried a lot of things, and the only way that I can get around this is by removing the BIOS security jumper *and* the CMOS battery. I can get into the BIOS setup again, but nothing has an effect. I can disable that "auto-entry" function as often as I can, the system keeps being locked.

I have access to the flashrom tool, and could even unsolder the flash chip and reprogram sections of it, if I knew what to change. I think even an SPI flash chip from a broken NUC would help, if anyone has one.

0 Kudos
27 Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi there. I know it's an old thread now but I have this exact problem with a NUC. Where do you find the older BIOS version, if you don't mind?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

What is the exact model number of your NUC?

Explain "locked out".  Does the nuc boot to the bios?  Does the nuc boot to the OS?  Can you log in?

What OS and version?

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi,

It’s a D54250WYK and I have the same issue as in this thread where I only get to Bios auto-entry with ESC or F2 options without the keyboard working.  I have upgraded BIOS(several times),to latest by removing bios jumper and holding down the power button for 3 beeps, pulled battery for a day, but this BIOS Auto-Entry setting never seems to be cleared and I can’t get passed it.

So I'm looking for an old BIOS version that seems to be able to clear this boot state.

And just to clear, I cannot get into BIOS anymore at all

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

The latest bios can be found here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29075/BIOS-Update-WYLPT10H-86A-

An "old" bios?  Any old bios will do?  Seriously, it is hard enough finding old bios files.  What bios did you have in mind?

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

You do not need a older BIOS.

Power on holding the power button down for 3 full seconds. When the Power Button Menu appears, use the F2 key to enter BIOS Setup. Make sure you fully reset the BIOS configuration (using the F9 key) and never, ever enable Fast Boot (which doesn't make the BIOS any faster regardless).

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks for engaging in my issue. I thought I was continuing a thread started by FBoeh1 with much of this was discussed already. I mistakenly replied to your post, Scott. Sorry about that. I'm a newbie on this forum.

I can't get to the power button menu as the page that always comes up, regardless what I do, is a screen saying "BIOS Auto-Entry Enabled" with the options "ESC" to skip or "F2" to enter BIOS are presented and my keyboard is not working at all. 

The only action I can take with with the NUC is to remove the security jumper, start the NUC, hold down the power button until 3 beeps have passed and upgrade BIOS using a USB stick. (With the jumper removed, I get a small menu where I can "skip the menu" or "clear supervisor passwords"). I have upgraded BIOS 3 times now and I still get the same "BIOS Auto-Entry Enabled" screen after putting the bios security jumper back. Keyboard still doesn't work and no power button menu appears when I have the jumper installed and doing the 3-beep "thing".

FBoeh1 claimes that downgrading to BIOS WY0018.bio actually cleared this "BIOS Auto-Entry Enabled" state and entering BIOS was again possible. Obviously I should have asked FBoeh1 for the firmware.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Sounds like you configured for Fast Boot and then did BIOS Auto-Entry from Windows. You should be able to avoid this by holding down Power Button for 3 full seconds. If you release early, yes, you will still hit the BIOS Auto-Entry scenario. If you hold long enough, it should get you to the menu. Try again.

...S

P.S. I don't believe that you can downgrade to WY0018 if you have close to latest installed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Tried the power button menu 20 times at least  

Either it turns off (too long) or it restarts by itself after I release the button only to stop at the same BIOS etup Auto-entry again.

Yeah, I've tried some BIOS settings for other reasons and got stuck in this state. SO annoying that nothing seems to reset this particular setting which is pre-BIOS.

Downgrading is my last test. Can't use the NUC anyway...

0 Kudos