cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

Looking for NUC with HDMI 2.0a and Toslink/SPDIF

Jump to solution

How can I find a NUC with HDMI 2.0a and Toslink/SPDIF (optical or cinch)? Is there a matrix somewhere?

For NUC7i3BNH people are talking about an optical out, but on the page https://www.intel.de/content/www/de/de/products/boards-kits/nuc/kits/nuc7i3bnh.html https://www.intel.de/content/www/de/de/products/boards-kits/nuc/kits/nuc7i3bnh.html

no toslink is mentioned.

NUC6CAYH seems to support hdmi 2.0a and toslink, but maybe this box is not the fastest?

(I assume if the NUC supports hdmi 2.0a, the hardware will also support HDR in theory if there are drivers? I plan to use ubuntu)

Tags (1)

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

The NUC6CAYH has TOSLink, but only supports HDMI 2.0 (so no HDR). Similarly, the NUC6i7KYK has TOSLINK, but only supports HDMI 2.0. If you want both HDMI 2.0a and TOSLink, you will have to look at the new (just arriving) NUCs. Your Mainstream choice is the NUC7CJYH (yes, again, only a Celeron). Your Extreme choices are the new NUC8i7HVK and NUC8i7HNK.

...S

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Highlighted

The NUC6CAYH has TOSLink, but only supports HDMI 2.0 (so no HDR). Similarly, the NUC6i7KYK has TOSLINK, but only supports HDMI 2.0. If you want both HDMI 2.0a and TOSLink, you will have to look at the new (just arriving) NUCs. Your Mainstream choice is the NUC7CJYH (yes, again, only a Celeron). Your Extreme choices are the new NUC8i7HVK and NUC8i7HNK.

...S

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Novice

Scott thank you for your valuable answer!

The NUC7CJYH looks perfect!

Its a pity that there are so many different models but no help to differentiate them.

Here if found a spec sheet: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/nuc-kits/NUC7xJY_TechProdSpec.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/nuc-kits/NUC7xJY_TechProdSpec.pdf

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi, I just joined these forums since I too am looking for a NUC that supports TOSLINK (S/PDIF optical audio out).

In my case, however, I am looking for a 7th generation or 8th generation processor (in the NUC), which eliminates the NUC6i ones. Ideally I would like one that uses the Core i5. Originally HDMI 2.0a was not a criterion, but perhaps it should be?

What can you recommend, other than NUC7CJYH? I found http://nucblog.net/2017/09/2018-intel-nuc-models/ this blog post about 2018 NUC models: so does that mean it is best to wait for the Bean Canyon models in the second half of 2018? How about Hades Canyon (am I correct in presuming that HDMI 2.0a can be filled in with a discrete graphics component)?

The other option is to forego TOSLINK directly on the NUC, and extract the signal using an HDMI to HDMI+TOSLINK extractor. The destination speakers are only 2.1 and accept PCM 24-bit/48kHz maximum, so TOSLINK should provide fine performance. It looks like prices for such extractors range from $20-40. However, I am concerned that adding an extractor to the signal path could introduce additional delays in the signal.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Did you see the NUC7PJYH ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I did not see NUC7PJYH. Looks good, thank you.

That being said, it would be nice to get something with a better processor. I have been out of the loop with Intel's marketing of its desktop processors, but it looks like performance-wise, it goes (along with NUCs:

Atom - None

Celeron - NUC7CJYH

Pentium Silver - NUC7PJYH

Pentium Gold - ?

Core i3 - ?

Core i5 - ?

Core i7 - (7th gen? - none?) - 8th gen: NUC8i7HVK and NUC8i7HNK

Core i9 - N/A: not in NUC

I think I am aiming for Core i5 ideally, but more in the range of Pentium Gold through Core i5.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Any others?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Is the power supply normally included if I order it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Answering a number of posts...

Sean (SeanTek),

Here is a list providing all of the base NUC models, ordered by processor type. By 'base', I mean that I haven't included any designation information (for chassis type, etc.).

Atom DE3815TY

Celeron DCCP847SK/DY, DN2820FY, NUC5CPY, NUC6CAY, NUC7CJY

Pentium/Silver NUC5PPY, NUC5PGY, NUC7PJY

Core i3 DC3217BY/IY, D34010WY, NUC5i3RY, NUC5i3MY, NUC6i3SY, NUC7i3BN, NUC7i3DN

Core i5 DC53427HY, D54250WY, NUC5i5RY, NUC5i5MY, NUC6i5SY, NUC7i5BN, NUC7i5DN

Core i7 NUC5i7RY, NUC6i7KY, NUC7i7BN, NUC7i7DN, NUC8i7HN, NUC8i7HV

Many of these have already been discontinued, of course, but are likely still available in the marketplace.

Martin (1Martin),

I marked the above list per your requested features. The bold entries include TOSLink support. The underlined entries include HDMI 2.0a support.

I would add that there are NUC models that have DisplayPort or USB-C/Thunderbolt ports that should support DisplayPort-to-HDMI2.0a adapters.

All NUC Systems and Kits come with Power Supplies; only the (bare) boards come without. When order a NUC, make sure you use the proper product code that includes support for your country's power plug type(s).

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

It seems that the NUC7CJYH does not support HDR10.

See

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Scott is it possible to run the NUC8i7HNK in a power saving mode to save energy when it is idle in the night? I'm not talking about sleep or hibernate, I mean low power consumption when idle.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Your choices for standby states are S4 Hibernation, S3 Sleep or non-S3 Modern Standby. [Aside: note that if you want to use Sleep instead of Modern Standby, you have to configure for S3 in BIOS Setup and then install Windows 10. If you want to change back, you have to reinstall Windows 10 yet again.] When the system is idle, it will transition into the S1 state and save some power, but this comes nowhere near the savings we are talking about with the standby states. Remember that there are lots of other devices that remain fully powered up until you enter a standby state.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi Scott,

thanks for helping and answering.

I currently have a NUC7PJYH as a home server. It has only 10W TDP. It is running a TV server, nextcloud and home assistant 24/7. But now the CPU comes to it limit and I need sth. stronger. Thats why I ask about the NUC8. But the NUC8 has got 65W TDP and if it runs 24/7, it costs a lot of energy. Because of nextcloud and tv server, it cannot go to S2 or S3.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

65W is the absolute maximum that it would ever use. At idle, the consumption is a *lot* lower. Here is snippet from AIDA64 sensor display showing power utilization of a NUC8i7BEH running at close to idle (I am using Remote Desktop to access it, so small load on target):

Power.jpg

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos