Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12517 Discussions

Looking for bios update for laptop kc7

klaihao
Beginner

An unscrupulous merchant sold a laptop X15 (intel ncu x15 kc7) to me and escaped, now I found this laptop is an manufacture test version, and some problems are taking place:

problems:

1. If AC Adapter is disconnected after last shutdown, the next boot must black screen unless force reboot again.

2. An infomation "System is in manufacturing mode..." is shown on bios logo when boot.

3. Left USB Port is often disconnected automaticly.

4. Intel Control Center 2.3 cannot control the keyboard led, just a little key leds is lighted.

5. Other strange problems I dont know how to say.

I think may be the problems is resulted from the early version bios bugs, but I cannot find any infomation about this bios: kccml357

So if I can get the new bios rom or intel flash image tool for HM470 and new ME to solve the problems?

Some infomation of the laptop is:

CPU: i7-10875H ES(Genuine Intel(R) CPU 0000 @ 2.10GHz 8C/16T)

CPUID Revision: 000906EDh

Core Stepping: R0

Microcode Update Revision: CAh

Motherboard Chipset: Intel Comet Point-H HM470, Intel Coffee Lake-H

DMI BIOS Version: KCCML357.9012.2020.0121.1035

System BIOS Version: 5.17

Embedded Controller Firmware Version: 0.29

ME Version:  14.0.30.1100

PCH PCI Device ID: 8086-068D

0 Kudos
14 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Problem #1 that you will not be able to get past is that the processor is an ES - engineering sample, which are never supported.

You got, for lack of a better term, screwed.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

klaihao
Beginner

But why the engineering sample can entry into the consumer market so easy?

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

They are not supposed to. In fact, it is actually illegal to sell ES systems. Intel owns these systems and no one outside of Intel has the right to sell them. Make sure you contact Intel Customer Support (directly, not here) and provide them with information about the person or vendor that sold the laptop to you. Intel will go after them and, if nothing else, block them from ever getting any more ES units.

...S

David_G_Intel

Hello @klaihao

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. I will send you an e-mail to the e-mail address associated with your community profile to continue with the case.

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

hg946902208
Beginner

Hi,I'm also met same thing,my loptop's bios version is kccml357;now press power start loptop ,it will infinite restart,if want to normal run it ,must hold on FN+D before press power ,How did you finally solve it? please tell me.

n_scott_pearson

There are no updated BIOS releases provided for Engineering Sample Prototype Laptops. These prototypes are provided for field validation and press review of possible products. They are not provided for long-term use nor should they EVER be sold.

If you were sold one of these prototype laptops, you should contact Intel Customer Support (directly, not here) and provide the contact information that you have for the vendor/individual that illegally sold you this unit. Intel will go after them and, if nothing else, block them from ever getting any more prototypes. @David_G_Intel - can you also contact this individual?

...S

hg946902208
Beginner

thanks your reply, I can provide seller information. I want to inquiry a question ,Will my laptop just run like this in the future? thanks.

n_scott_pearson

What I can say is that, AFAIK, FN+D is NOT a standard Intel BIOS keystroke, so I have no idea what it is accomplishing. Have you tried resetting the BIOS configuration? If not, use F2 key during BIOS POST to enter BIOS Setup, F9 key to reset the BIOS configuration and then F10 key to save the configuration and exit BIOS Setup.

Other than that, since we have no samples of this laptop and no information on the capabilities/implementation of the DBIOS (debug BIOS) releases, we really cannot comment further. 

@klaihao - did you also see this phenomena? If so, were you able to work out a workaround for it?

...S

hg946902208
Beginner

thanks your advice,I think my description is not compete.

if i want to run laptop,hold down FN+D,then interface will stop in BIOS interface,i need to manually select the hard disk and start win10.

i will provide picture of interface at that time , "Boot Override" always is “Window - Push Button Rest”,not is "Windows Boot Manager" . your advice ( press F9 reset the BIOS , then press F10 save and reset) did not take effect ,it still the same .

do you have any other experience ? “Window - Push Button Rest” is set to "Windows Boot Manager" .

I also want to know,Press the power button, the screen will turn on after about 15-20S,Is it normal ? The seller said it was normal before, because "each brand is different .“ Now ,I'm a little skeptical .

0302_1.jpg

n_scott_pearson

This looks like the generic AMI text BIOS, which is what is used for the initial testing of engineering sample devices.

What are the options in the Boot menu? Can you send a picture of that scene? This should be where you choose (via ordered-list) the default priorities for booting.

Failing all this, I would be getting your money back from the seller. He should never have sold you this laptop.

...S

klaihao
Beginner

I can provide the BIOS file backuped from the chip.

Zip file Include CPU-Z Report, BIOS Full backup file.

hg946902208
Beginner

thanks your reply. thank for you ,because your post let me know that I can ask for help here. 

is your problem final solved ? 

how do i use your attachment ?

please let me know , thanks.

hg946902208
Beginner
n_scott_pearson

IMHO, the BIOS file is of no help. Installing it on another of these laptops (presuming you even have the capability for doing so) will clone the original laptop - including serial numbers, UUID, MAC address, etc. Not a secure practice.

The pictures of the BIOS didn't help either; everything looks fine within them.

Not sure what to suggest - beyond returning the unit and getting your money back from the slimeball who sold it to you.

...S