cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MRodr21
Beginner

M.2 SSD Not Recognized NUC5i5RYK

Jump to solution

I'm on my third NUC and second Kingston memory stick. For whatever reason the devices refuse to acknowledge the memory stick for any length of time.

We purchased a few of these NUC5i5RYKs in 2017 with no issues at all. We needed one more this year and I've had nothing but problems over the past 7 weeks. I ordered a new NUC (same model as previous purchases) in April, installed memory (same memory - Kingston 120GB M.2). At first the drive showed up as expected, began the Win8 install and partway through install failed. There was no longer a drive to install to. Opened up the device, reseated the M.2. Now it comes up as 2GB? Reseated several more times. Doesn't show up at all now. I sent the NUC back as defective. Took 3 weeks to get the replacement. Second unit has the same exact issue. I figure it's the stick. Sent the stick back, got a replacement. Same issue. Sent second NUC back, got replacement. Same issue.

This same memory is working fine in two other RYKs at the office. I'm not sure what's changed in the past 8 months, but this is incredibly frustrating. We still need another computer so I can't just return it and wash my hands of the entire situation. Does anyone have any idea what the issue is?

I've reset the BIOS defaults (F9) on two different units. I've updated the BIOS to the latest version downloaded from the Intel site. No fix. I can only reseat the memory so many times. It fits perfect. It's right side up. AHCI is enabled. UEFI is enabled. Devices - PCI - SATA shows Not Populated. I'm at a complete loss how to proceed.

Thank you in advance for anyone who has any ideas.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
idata
Community Manager

Hello MRodriguez1

Thank you for contacting us.

I understand that you are experiencing issues with your Intel® NUC NUC5i5RYK, and the fact that you replaced the unit around 3 times totally captured our attention.

In order for me to assist you better, please provide me with the .txt file that the System Support Utility will generate. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Please generate the report on one of the known well working units, not the non-working one.

Can you please provide us with the full model and brand of the Kingston 120GB M.2?

As well, have you tried (just for testing purposes) another brand or model of M.2 in the non-working unit?

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello MRodriguez1

Thank you for contacting us.

I understand that you are experiencing issues with your Intel® NUC NUC5i5RYK, and the fact that you replaced the unit around 3 times totally captured our attention.

In order for me to assist you better, please provide me with the .txt file that the System Support Utility will generate. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Please generate the report on one of the known well working units, not the non-working one.

Can you please provide us with the full model and brand of the Kingston 120GB M.2?

As well, have you tried (just for testing purposes) another brand or model of M.2 in the non-working unit?

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

View solution in original post

MRodr21
Beginner

Hi!

Thank you so much for responding. I went to the office and loaded the SSU executable onto one of the working systems. The .txt file is attached.

I haven't tried a different brand or model of M.2 SSD. It's the same Kingston model number SSD in the same model number NUC. I confirmed the model is Kingston SM2280S3G2/120GB. If that's the likely culprit I can see if a different stick works but I've had this M.2 so long it's past the return date. I'd like to get this one working if at all possible.

I had another tech friend come over and we went over the BIOS settings together, testing out various options and nothing gets the M.2 slot to show as populated. I updated to the most current BIOS update and have reset to default settings. I'm not sure what else to try. If you have any suggestions, I'll try anything.

Thank you!

idata
Community Manager

Hello MRodriguez1,

Thank you for your response.

While taking a look to the report sent by you, we encountered a fact that actually might be the reason of the system instability that you are experiencing.

Indeed the model of the unit on the working unit is SM2280S3G2/120GB and runs under the SSD "SAFM01.W" firmware.

So basically having 3 NUC's already and 2 SSD's makes us thing that none of the hardware components is the issue, but the firmware inside of the SSD is.

Have you checked that the drives that you purchased are all running into that firmware?

As well, just for testing purposes have tried to install another hard drive, maybe an HDD (2.5) to check if it is recognized on the BIOS?

I hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Diego S.

idata
Community Manager

Hello MRodriguez1,

We just wanted to double check if you still need further assistance.

Please do not hesitate on contacting us back.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

MRodr21
Beginner

Looks like after much testing that Kingston sent me two bad sticks in a row. I purchased an Intel stick and haven't had any further issues. Sorry to waste your time. Thanks for your help.