Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

M.2 ssd vanished after upgrading bios from v66 to v74

Device: NUC8i7BEH

M.2 ssd: Crucial P1 M.2 2280 nvm 500GB

System was working fine with bios v66. immediately after upgrading the bios to v74 the M.2 vanished from the SATA device list in the bios.

The M2 is checked in the bios settings.

Loading defaults, downgrading to v71, running without any other SATA devices or not does not help.

Normal ssd and HDDs are working fine; just the M.2 slot seems dead (removing and adding the M.2 does not change anything).

Downgrade to v66 is not allowed (I have the bios as a file...). And I did not do any password stuff with the nvm ssd...

Checked all settings and nothing is suspicious; redid all settings to the values before, disabling M.2, turn it off, checked M.2 again, etc..... nothing helped.

Anyone any idea?

Kind Regards

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

Hi @TRupp1​ ,

1. I don't know what method did you use to update Bios. In this case I recommend to update your Bios again, using Bios Recovery with Yellow Security Jumper removed method. BTW, I've founded on Intel Download site that the latest BIOS for your NUC is version 0073 and not 0074?
  2. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 with Bios file BE0073.bio https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28951/BIOS-Update-BECFL357-86A-?product=192580 . Format your USB with Quick Format option unchecked. Do not format your USB in MAC (OS) or Linux machine. Use Windows.
  3. Disconnect the power adapter and remove the bottom panel from your NUC.
  4. Remove the Yellow Bios Security Jumper. (page 41 in Technical Product Specification https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/nuc-kits/NUC8i3BE_NUC8i5BE_NUC8i7...)
  5. Insert the USB with the BE0073.bio file.
  6. Reconnect the power adapter and power ON the NUC. Wait 30 sec - 2min. The Recovery process will start automatically and will end after 2 -5 minutes.
  7. When bios recovery is completed, switch the power OFF, remove the power adapter and replace the Security Jumper (pins 1-2) . Reinstall the bottom panel.
  8. Power your NUC ON.
  9. Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.
  10. Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.

Hope this will help

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi

correct, it was v73 not v74 - but otherwise same situation.

Followed the instructions to no avail. Same situation as before.

Kind Regards

Thomas

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi Thomas,

I doubt that this will help, However I would try this:

1. If you boot your NUC with the Yellow Security Jumper removed, within one minute, it should boot into Configuration Menu. See the attached image. I would press on option [2] and [3].
  2. One more thing I would try is to disconnect the CMOS battery and reconnect it after 15 minutes. You need to remove the board from its case in order to reach the battery connector. This may help you to see how to do this: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Intel+NUC5i7RYH+Disassembly/98011

LeonconfigurationMenu.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi

I had little hope and it did not change anyhing.

Tomorrow I will try a new M.2 ssd; if this does not work as well I will send the NUC back and get a new one (I have still a week left to do so).

Kind Regards

Thomas

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi Thomas,

I believe that your NUC is less then three years old, Since it is covered by three years of international warranty: https://supporttickets.intel.com/warrantyinfo?lang=en-US

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I bought it just last week, so I sent it back today to get a full refund and order another one...

I just do not like it to send stuff back when there is an obvious fix.

Thanks,

Thomas