Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
12544 Discussions

M2 Drive not recognised but Windows does

Timellis
Beginner

I have an older NUC 5 , I installed a M2 drive, booted from USB installed widows 10 onto the M2. But try to boot into the M2 after install does not work.

I then go back and boot from the USB windows installer and its there are a drive, but the bios cannot see it.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What NUC 5?  What bios version?

Legacy or UEFI install?

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

Timellis
Beginner

Its a NUC5i5RYH, tried both Legacy and UEFI installed, just finished with Ubuntu same thing, installs and sees the drive but Bios does not see it

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

For M.2 drives, you *must* use UEFI boot - even for Linux. If heading towards a dual boot configuration, install Windows before Linux. When you get to the screen in the Windows installer where you select the System partition, you *must* delete all existing partitions on the system drive and then select to install Windows to the unused/unallocated space entry for this drive (which should encompass all of the drive at this point if you have deleted all existing partitions). This process is necessary to ensure that any older, legacy partition table is properly replaced with a new UEFI partition table. It also lets the installer choose the optimal partition layout for the drive.

Hope this helps,

...S

Timellis
Beginner

Thanks, i have done everything i need to in order to get it to work (Including clean install/Partitions etc.) , just seems strange that the BIOS can't see it, the only thing is that the drive is a NVMe drive not a SATA so have ordered a SATA M.2 to see if it likes that better, 

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

In BIOS Setup, if you go to the Boot Setting page, do you see an entry for the drive in the UEFI Boot box on the left (and do you have the UEFI box enabled (checkmarked))? If not, but the drive is appearing in the Legacy Boot box on the right - then the drive does not have a UEFI partition table. This can happen if using older Windows installation media. In this case, I suggest that you rebuild your installation media using the Microsoft Windows 10 Installation Media Creation tool (available here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10). Similarly, for Windows 11, rebuild your installation media using the Microsoft Windows 11 Installation Media Creation tool (available here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11).

This can also happen if you are not booting the installation media using UEFI. When selecting the USB flash drive from which to boot the Windows installer, remember to select the entry that is preceded by 'UEFI'.

Hope this helps,

...S

Timellis
Beginner

In the BIOS the drive does not show up full stop be it UEFI or Legacy.

To be clear i used the Windows 10 tool, and built it, booted the USB via both methods UEFI and Legacy, I wiped the drove clean removed all partitions. 

The drive has a EFI table built, and to double check it putting it in my other PC it shows correctly.

The drive can only be seen when booted into live Linux or when installing windows, the BIOS never sees it, i'll put it down to the NUC being a **bleep** and once my other drive is delivered i guess that will answer the question that it just does not like the Nvme drives i have of which i have 2

LeonWaksman
Super User

What is the BIOS version in your NUC?

Leon

Jean_Intel

Hello Timellis,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

Due to this product being discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, I am glad to see that fellow community members have the knowledge and they jumped in and helped. You may also find the Discontinued Products website (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/discontinued-products.html) website helpful to address your request.  

You can get the specifications and verify this product's discontinuance status at the Intel® Product Specifications website > Product Status > "Discontinued". https://ark.intel.com/ 

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician