Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

Migrate

Kiriwa
Novice

I bought an intel boxnuc8i3cysm . now I am going to install m.2 250 GB NVMe SSD to my intel pc. after that I need to migrate windows 10 home from HDD to M.2 SSD and need to delete all windows 10 home files in  HDD. how to do it correctly without error. do I need to get a windows home product key? 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Is the HDD a 2.5" drive already in the NUC?

If yes, install some backup/cloning software, like Macrium Reflect., on the HDD, and have the m.2 already installed.  Then, clone the HDD to the m.2.

You should probably create the rescue media at this time (a usb stick).

When you boot, use F10 to select the boot device (the m.2).  While running on the m.2, format the HDD.  You may also, after formatting, remove the HDD or keep it installed as a second drive.

Your next reboot should be normal, booting the m.2 automatically.

If this reboot fails, you can boot the rescue media and repair the boot record.

There are other cloning tools available.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

AlHill
Super User

Also, your key is preserved and you need not worry about it.

If your HDD is not installed in the NUC, let me know.

Kiriwa
Novice

it  has a  2.5 "  1 TB HDD and  running  windows  10  home now

AlHill
Super User

Ok, all you need is the software.  Like I said, I use Macrium, but there are others out there. 

For your convenience, here is a link for macrium.  Look on the left side for HOME, free.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Kiriwa
Novice

Thanks a lot. I  looked at macrium.com. what is the difference between cloning and migrating?

AlHill
Super User

Cloning will make an exact copy of your hdd and put it on the m.2, preserving all partitions.

This is what I use all the time.

Doc