I have a small 15 inch monitor called a Upinva I bought recently from Amazon UK. For some reason my Hades Canyon will not fire up when connected to this monitor (HDMI). The monitor works with two other PC's in the house as well as an Apple Mac and an XBox One. If I plug the NUC into my Dell 22" monitor it starts up fine and also if I then transfer the HDMI plug from the Dell to the 15" monitor that works. It's as if the NUC needs some signal on the HDMI lead before it will start to boot up and this small monitor is not providing it. Any ideas?
Hi @RList ,
- NUC8i7HVK can work and start headless (i.e. without monitor and/or keyboard+mouse connected). You may try this, power ON your NUC with monitor disconnected and 30 seconds later connect your monitor.
- Are you supplying power to the 15" monitor from USB socket on your NUC? If yes, don't do this, use dedicated power supply for your monitor.
- I've have question about your other thread: https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004K34bhSAB/help-with-possible-power-supply-fault . Your NUC is working now? What was the problem?
Thank's for the reply Leon. I hadn't answered the other thread as the problem seems to be connected with this monitor issue. The replacement PSU arrived today and to my dismay the problem was still there, at which point I was totally stumped. The NUC had been working on this monitor for over a week so when it stopped working and al other computers were still working fine on the monitor I naturally assumed that the monitor was fine. So as a last resort I tried an older Dell 22 inch monitor I had handy and the NUC fired up. A bit embarrassing but still has me stumped why it wont start up on the small monitor. I am supplying 5V to the monitor from a totally separate power source but I will try your suggestion when this long download is complete and let you know how I get on. I thought of trying putting one of those powered HDMI switches between the NUC and monitor to see if that worked.
That worked. If I start the NUC off without any monitor connected then after about 30 seconds I saw the red LED drive activity. Plugged the small monitor in and it worked. Thank's for the help. Still dont know why it doesn't like to start up connected to this particular monitor but at least I have a good workaround.
- Please try to use other HDMI cable.
- You may try a miniDP to HDMI cable https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cablesson-DisplayPort-Thunderbolt-Compatible-Connector-HDMI-1080p-White/dp/...
- Other option is to try Thunderbolt to HDMI Adapter. Thunderbolt output has higher current rating. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thunderbolt-VicTsing-Displayport-Converter-Microsoft-White/dp/B00EDB3ZY0/re...