cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

More buggy NUC issues; dual displays flicker after a few minutes of usage

Jump to solution

I have a user who can use a dual monitor setup for a matter of minutes (maybe 15-30 minutes) before both screens turn black and her mouse cursor starts flickering. The only thing that gets the dual monitors back is turning off one of the monitors (or unplugging one of the monitors) and turning it back on.

She's using a NUC6i5SYH, latest BIOS (v61), graphics drivers (4678), etc. Her monitors are an Acer G277HL 27-inch and an ASUS VN279Q 27-inch. The ASUS is using an HDMI cable (latest 2.0 standard) as shown on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CRA11IU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 here and the Acer monitor is using a VGA cable that is converted to mDP using https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019D0LS4E/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 this converter on Amazon. The resolution is set to 1920x1080, both monitors use default settings and the Intel 540 GPU is using default settings as well. OS is Windows 10 Pro Creator's Update with latest patches as of yesterday. I've swapped out both monitors for a spare 27-inch Samsung monitor I have laying around, and it made no difference, flickering still occurs after a few minutes. I switched the HDMI cable to the Acer and the VGA-to-mDP converter to the ASUS to see if that made a difference, but it didn't. I then decided to use a Rankie HDMI-to-mDP cable on one of the monitors to see if I should use a different converter, and again the flickering still occurred. She had been successfully using her dual monitor setup up until 2 weeks ago, and then suddenly everything went to hell. I can't identify if it's a Windows update or not, but there's no reason to believe any Windows update at that time would have caused this. Her "reliability history" shows an instance of a fontdrvhost.exe crash (see attached txt file). About the only unique things about her system is that she uses a Verifi fingerprint scanner (Authentec AES2550) to log in and is connected to our corporate domain. We also use TrendMicro OfficeScan version 12.0.1556 (compatible with Creator's Update), but disabling that does nothing to fix her problems (or my numerous other ones as shown in /thread/115373 this thread, please comment there if you have any idea what's up).

So, what do we think the issue is here?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Novice

I found this thread:

I tried uninstalling KB4022716 and it appears to be working fine for now.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello nuc_user001,

I understand monitors flicker after a few minutes of usage.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience this issue may be causing to you.

I would like you to try different version of the graphics driver. Please download the driver that is on this link https://downloadmirror.intel.com/26772/eng/win64_154518.4664.exe https://downloadmirror.intel.com/26772/eng/win64_154518.4664.exe

As soon as the file has been downloaded on the keyboard press WinLogo key + r, then type in devmgmt.msc, double click on Display Adapters -> Intel HD Graphics -> Driver tab -> Uninstall -> Select the check box Delete the driver software for this device -> OK, restart the computer, and then reinstall the driver I provided.

Does the issue happen only when you use the monitors in dual display? Has your customer tested the monitors in Single Display?

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I recently started receiving this same (or very, very similar) issue last week. I've been in discussion with a tech about it, but we have not come close to a resolution.

I first noticed the issue after a slew of updates, including Windows updates and a BIOS update. I'm using an NUC6i7KYK (BIOS 48 and graphics 4678) with a similar dual monitor setup, and have been on Windows version 1703 for a while now. The first monitor is connected using an HDMI cable. The second monitor is connected using an HDMI cable to an mDP-to-HDMI adapter. I can confirm that this only happens (to me) while using both monitors. Using either port for a single monitor works just fine, so it doesn't appear to be from the adapter.

Per the tech's request I tried rolling back the BIOS to 46 and then 45, neither worked. I tried uninstalling the graphics driver completely to install the latest one again. That did not solve it, but I did notice the problem did not happen on the default Driver that Windows installed (4331). I tried three previous graphics drivers (4590, 4627, and 4664) and all three resulted in the same behavior. Given the timing in my situation, I do think it may have to do with a Windows update, but I have not had a chance to dig into that.

To clarify on the issue a bit, it happens for me when the monitors are allowed to turn off from the Power Options but before the NUC itself enters sleep mode. I have a large window between those two times (monitors at 10 minutes, sleep at 3 hours) for a specific reason. The only current workaround is to set the monitors to never sleep, but this is not ideal. The behavior is exactly the same as the OP describes, both monitors black with the mouse cursor flickering. Unplugging either HDMI cable is the only way I can get it out of this state (turning off the monitors manually does not).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I found this thread:

I tried uninstalling KB4022716 and it appears to be working fine for now.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

gopack13, thank you so much, the KB4022716 uninstall fixed it immediately. However, it's a "quality rollup", so will it reinstall itself with automatic updates enabled if we're set to Current Branch for Business with a 1yr feature delay? I don't believe it will reinstall.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

It looks like it was pulled from Windows Update, so you'll probably be fine (see my post in the aforementioned thread). You can search the web for a few different discussions regarding KB4022716, including one that discusses the fact it appears to no longer be available.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Excellent, thank you again!

0 Kudos