Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Mouse cursor disappears

Several months ago, my cursor (not the pointer) began disappearing whenever I was typing in multiple applications, i.e. MS Office (Word, Outlook & Excel), this website, browsing bars on multiple Internet browsers), requiring that I left-click the mouse to restore the cursor.

I believe I can now isolate this issue to the NUC, and not Windows, Logitech or MS Office software.

Is anyone else with a similarly configured NUC experiencing this issue? All advice welcome. I will add that Logitech technical support did mention that they had received this issue from others and they thought that it may be a Windows or Office issue, but I can find nothing on Microsoft's board about this issue with a cursory (NPI) search.

Thanks.

I am using a Logitech K350 wireless keyboard & M510 mouse with the Unifying connector and current software Logitech - SetPoint version 6.67.83 (64-bit). This issue does not occur on my Samsung laptop when using the same keyboard, mouse and connector. Note that I have moved the Unifying Connector amongst the USB ports on the NUC.

I believe Windows 10HP 64-bit is up to date, -

Hotfixes from Microsoft Update (agent version 10.0.17134.48) install automatically.

Last install: 5/28/2018 7:56:30 AM, check: 5/28/2018 7:56:15 AM.

NOTE: (KB4100403) is now being downloaded and installed, with a restart required. I will do this now and if this issue magically disappears will update this. It will probably not disappear...

I am fairly certain my NUC BIOS is up to date, although I haven't checked in about a year, so if someone is aware that Intel released anything new in the past few months, please let me know and I'll update it. My current BIOS is WYLPT10H.86A.0045.2017.0302.2108 (installed 3/2/2017)

Pasted here is information from BelArc Advisor, run today:

• 1.90 gigahertz Intel Core i5-4250U
  • 128 kilobyte primary memory cache
  • 512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
  • 3072 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
  • 64-bit ready
  • Board: Intel Corporation D54250WYK H13922-304
  • Serial Number: GEWY432002UP
  • Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
  • 16282 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
  • Slot 'DIMM 1' has 8192 MB
  • Slot 'DIMM 2' has 8192 MB

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello CharlieATL

I understand that you are having issues with your Logitech* K350 wireless keyboard & M510 mouse

In order for me to assist you better, please provide me with the .txt file that the System Support Utility will generate. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards.

Diego S.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Here it is Diego, thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Hi CharlieATL,

I had this issue since purchasing the NUC8i7HVK and recently discovered a work-around that makes a huge different for me.

Turn on mouse trails.

I'm on the fast track of Microsoft (OS) Insiders and losing the cursor is not specific to NUCs. It's been reported across different platforms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Thank you Mike, I will try this immediately. Note that it is NOT the mouse pointer that disappears, rather the vertical cursor. Regardless, I'm turning on mouse trails now and will report back in a day or two.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Unfortunately, this didn't work for me Mike. Cursor still disappears after less than 20 seconds or so if inactivity, sometimes sooner.

Thanks anyway.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello CharlieATL

Thank you for your response

Here's what we can do:

Please go ahead and uninstall all the Bluetooth drivers from device manager that correspond to your mouse and keyboard.

As an extra step, click on View>show hidden devices and uninstall it from there as well.

After that, please go ahead and update the drivers for your Logitech* devices, found here:

http://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/wireless-keyboard-k350/downloads http://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/wireless-keyboard-k350/downloads

As well you can update the Bluetooth drivers for your computer:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27760/Wireless-Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-10?pro... https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27760/Wireless-Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-10?pro...

I hope this helps, please let us know the outcome.

Best regards.

Diego S.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

OK Diego, I can follow these instructions. Question before I proceed though: after offloading the Bluetooth drivers, will I still have connectivity with my keyboard and mouse? I don't own a wired keyboard and mouse of course. I have a potential workaround, and that is to use my laptop to remotely connect to my NUC using Teamviewer, which should give me control.

I'll wait a bit for you to respond.

Thanks so much, hope this is it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Diego, please see the attached screenshot. I don't see anything that says Bluetooth other than the native Intel NUC driver.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello CharlieATL

Thank you for your response.

In this case yes, the mouse & and keyboard will become unresponsive temporarily, so another keyboard or a remote access tool will be pretty helpful; however as soon as you uninstall the drivers and reboot your machine, your OS should look for the basic generic drivers so mouse & and keyboard are supposed to be working again.

In this case based on your screenshot, please get rid of all the drivers under Keyboards and mice and then follow the update steps provided from before.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards.

Diego S.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Thanks Diego, I've been awaiting your reply. I did try to see if following only the update portion of your instructions, without removing any drivers would get me anywhere, and it did not. So now I'm going to establish contact with my NUC with my laptop using Teamviewer, set it to automatically re-establish contact when the NUC boots up after reboot and see what works. At least I'll be able to manually find drivers to re-enable my keyboard and mouse if I lose contact.

I'll be back in a few minutes with the results. The above action had no positive effect.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Success Diego.

I tested the cursor in an Outlook email I created, a MS Word document I created and this form. After 30 seconds of total inactivity, the cursor was blinking where it belongs. I'm going to go up and mark the question as answered on your instruction set.

Thanks very much.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Diego, I spoke too soon.

I am still having occasional cursor failure in the body of Outlook email. The cursor also disappeared in this message. In both cases, instead of the cursor disappearing in 5-8 seconds, it will take about 20-35 seconds to disappear. I've attached device manager contents with several items expanded.

I did update Bluetooth also.

Further thoughts, please?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello CharlieATL

In this case please go ahead and check and test the steps in the following link from the manufacturer's webpage:

http://support.logitech.com/en_us/article/31549?product=a0qi00000069vEGAAY http://support.logitech.com/en_us/article/31549?product=a0qi00000069vEGAAY

Based on a research online, it seems that you are not the only user reporting similar issues with your mouse's model.

Is there any chance to test another wireless mouse into your Intel® NUC Kit D54250WYK, so we can discard a compatibility issue?

I hope this helps.

Best regards.

Diego S.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Diego, I've done the following.

1. Plugged another M510 mouse into the NUC: same behavior, so I guess we can rule out a defective mouse/unifying receiver.

2. Plugged a Logitech M185 mouse into the NUC: same behavior. Note that this mouse is plugged into a non-Unifying receiver, so I've got two receivers plugged into two USB ports on the NUC.

Also, I have done the troubleshooting steps that Logitech recommends multiple times. I don't have any new power supplies or electronic devices between the mouse/keyboard and the receiver; I've also tried different USB ports on the NUC and get the same behavior.

Finally, when I presented this issue to Logitech tech support, they said that it might be a Microsoft issue, but did not specify MS Office or Windows 10. The sent me a new keyboard, K350.

Not sure where to go from here. This keyboard/mouse combination worked very well with the NUC for over a year as have other Logitech products. This can only be a NUC issue I believe. Recall from previous postings, when I plug the mouse and keyboard into my relatively new Samsung laptop, everything works fine.

BIOS? Failed MOBO in the NUC? USB driver issue, i.e. IRQs?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello CharlieATL,

In this case, in order to isolate whether the issue is your Intel® NUC Kit D54250WYK or the OS, the next step is to perform a clean installation of the OS.

After updating the drivers from before, we hardly think that we are facing driver issues at this point.

I hope this helps.

Best regards.

Diego S.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Diego, I tend to agree with you that it appears that this is an OS issue, since that was Logitech's initial thought. I appreciate you offering the other solutions and regret that the issue was not resolved.

Now, consider the steps involved in reinstalling the OS:

1. This was a Windows 7 upgrade to Windows 10 during Microsoft's free upgrade period. While I am sure there is a procedure out there somewhere that allows for the re-installation of the OS, it will surely be a convoluted series of steps to get this done. But if I do this, then...

2. The multiple MS updates and KBs will have to be downloaded, which is a very time consuming task, even if MS does provide a relatively up-to-date version of W10HP.

3. Then I will have to reinstall MS Office 2010. I have a two-device license for this but every time I upgrade my desktop (NUC) equipment or change out my laptop, I have to spend about a half hour negotiating with Microsoft on the phone because they think I've already installed Office twice. Which I have, but only use on 2 computers at once, per the agreement. And let's not overlook the issue of importing a 17GB .pst file with 15 years of email and calendar entries. And when you do that, Outlook 'dis-remembers' email addresses to which one has sent outgoing email and the user now has to look up every email address for every outgoing email.

4. Like most folks, I have dozens of programs on my computer, all of which would have to be reinstalled. I also have events programmed into the OS like auto-shutdown, auto-backup, and so on. All would have to be reprogrammed.

5. The good part is I don't keep a lot of data/content on the SSD.

Finally Diego, going forward with an OS re-installation, suppose the problem remains, and Intel determines that there is in fact a hardware failure, such as a USB issue. This NUC is out of warranty, so there would be no affirmative resolution by Intel that would address this, right? If this is NOT the case with my NUC, please let me know.

At this point, economically and effort-wise, all I can do is either live with this issue, which is unacceptable, or abandon the NUC and either purchase a new one and deal with all of the issues iterated above, or use only my laptop, which is problematic because of the extensive network devices (8 WeMo switches, 3 Sonos devices, 4 Echo devices, 3 cameras, 1 wired and 1 wireless NAS, 2 other switches, 2 NEST thermostats, 2 printers) that are connected as well as wired/USB devices like an external HDD, the Logitech HIDs, Sonos hub and so on that are involved.

Unless you have another direction, I'm going to see if Microsoft will give this the same level of effort that you and Intel have. This issue presented itself about 6 months ago, so I think a KB could possibly be identified by MS as the causative factor.

I'd appreciate any additional thoughts you may have or any escalation efforts that can be undertaken by Intel in this matter.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello CharlieATL

I understand the complications that may arise when it comes about an OS clean installation, especially on this case scenario.

The fact that the unit is consider EOIS (end of Interactive support) makes the actual support for your unit pretty limited when it comes about software or drivers.

At this point another workaround will be to use a regular USB keyboard and mouse, since a replacement of the unit will be out of the equation due to the unit's status.

I would love to do something different but at this time contacting Microsoft's support will be the best approach to isolate the issue.

I hope this helps.

Best regards.

Diego S.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Thanks. I am going to send this support email trail to Microsoft and see what they have to say. It has to be one of the updates in the last several months that caused this. If I get this figured out, i.e. it is an OS issue, I'll return here with details.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Diego, Microsoft resolved the issue, somewhat. The short answer is that after about a half hour of troubleshooting, the tech support rep executed a full repair of Microsoft Office 2010, and I seem to now be able to type in MS Office without losing my cursor. From chat content:

Yes, the issue was with some of the plugins mismatch, this is normal and occurs automatically , as there are machines you never know what happens when , however , to find the root cause we just check the installed applications and last date of the update on that particular update.

3:02 pm

Sushil Kumar Jain

When we repaired it, it installed all the missing plugins and as well as downloaded the new version from the servers.

While this did fix the issue within Office, the cursor still disappears after about 10-20 seconds of inactivity using the Chrome browser, for example when I stop typing on this website, I lose the cursor and have to click with the mouse to bring it back. I updated Chrome, and am still losing the cursor. Same issue with Opera browser.

This is just an FYI in case you have other users who are experiencing something similar with MS Office using NUCs.

0 Kudos