cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UAlon
Beginner

Multiple USB 3 cameras on separate USB 3 / 3.1 controllers

Hello,

I'm considering NUC as a solution for a video controller application, in which it receives image and video captures from two 4K USB 3 cameras.

Each camera report a peak USB bandwidth of ~160MB/s. Even with high-end X299-based machines, I could not get reliable results (no drops, no delays etc.) without connection at least one camera to a USB3 add-on card with its own controller.

My question is, how many independent USB 3 / 3.1 controllers does a NUC (any NUC, for that matter) hardware includes?

If anyone has any experience with multiple USB 3 cameras on NUC, it would be great.

Thanks,

Ury

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello, ury. Thank you very much for contacting the Intel Communities Team.

For me to assist you better, can you please provide me with the model of the NUC you are looking for?

Antony S.
UAlon
Beginner

Thanks Antony,

Since the criteria for the hardware I'm looking for is the one I described above, I'm still not sure which NUC model is the right one.

The most suitable model for me for all other considerations is NUC7i5BNK.

idata
Community Manager

Thank you very much for your reply, ury.

Allow me to double check this information, I will be back to you soon.

Antony S.
idata
Community Manager

Thank you for your patience, ury.

Please find on page 19, 1.1.4, Block Diagram of the Technical Product Specifications of the NUC7i5BNK that the USB 3.0 ports are connected to the processor and the USB 3.1 port (Thunderbolt™ 3) is connected to a different controller using PCIe x4.

Antony S.
idata
Community Manager

UAlon
Beginner

Thank you Antony.

If I understand correctly, the USB 3.1 port is using controller and bus which are different from those of the USB 3.0 ports.

idata
Community Manager

Thank you for your response, ury. That is actually correct!

Antony S.