Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
12546 Discussions

My Intel NUC i7 processor seems to run hot.

KJ7PIN
Beginner

I have an Intel NUC (Intel NUC Mini Compact Portable PC (10th Gen Intel i7-10710U, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB NVMe SSD, 802.11 AX Wireless, Bluetooth 5, Thunderbolt 3, No OS). It seems to run hot from time to time. Once in a great while (once a week on average), it will shut down with a high temp error. Attached are some log files and screen shots showing the system configuration processor tests. I ran a tool called HWmonitor_1.45 to monitor system parameters. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Have you tried using a can of compressed air to clean out the dust and dirt buildup? Blow air in via every set of openings, especially the ones you can see the black heatsink fins through.

If this doesn't work, (carefully!!) remove the motherboard from the chassis. Then, remove the blower (two or three small screws) so that you can clean out the buildup at the heatsink that couldn't be blown out via compressed air. Do the inside of the blower itself as well.

A man's best friend:

n_scott_pearson_0-1648092156184.png

Hope this helps,

...S

KJ7PIN
Beginner

Thanks! The inside was very clean when I opened it. I did notice however, that a stickers on the SSD had come lose and was restricting some air flow. in the last 12 hours, the cpu temps were never above 65C

n_scott_pearson

I should add that you should be doing this about every 3 months. More often if in a dustier environment.

...S

n_scott_pearson

And this goes for all of your other electronic equipment.

...S