Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

My Intel NUC randomly freezes when using video editing tools

This happens usually when the video encoder is engaged. The Intel NUC will just freeze and will need to be rebooted.

I am running Windows 10 and have tried using Movavi among other editing tools. It sometimes also freezes in video calls in the browsers.

I've tried updating all of my device drivers. It didn't help any.

I tried using the Intel Diagnostics too, but it complained that it can't install at all (logs attached).

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

Hi Tzahi,

In order to get better information about your system, please download the Intel System Support Utility (SSU). Run the SSU scan and save the results. The .txt file with the results please attach to your post.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Attached are the SSU logs

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

1. I can see that your NUC is updated, however, I suggest that you should update the Intel Graphics Driver to the new Intel DCH Graphics Driver. I'll check later what is the reason that in the Download Page for your NUC we have still the old legacy driver ver. 6286. Follow this procedure to install the DCH Driver:

2. Download the latest Intel DCH Driver Version: 27.20.100.8783

3. Disconnect the internet connection.

4. Open the Device Manager.

5. In the Display adapters section , right click on Intel Graphics Driver and then left click on Uninstall Device. Select the "Delete driver software from this device" option.

6. Reboot your NUC and check in Device Manager that now you see Microsoft Basic Graphics Driver in place of Intel Graphics Driver. If you still see Intel Driver, repeat para. 5 and 6.

7. Install the previously downloaded DCH Driver. 

8. Reconnect the Internet and reboot your NUC.

9. If for some reason you will decide to reinstall the legacy driver download it from Intel Site

and repeat para 2 - 6 before to trying reinstall it.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

For 5 minute there I was almost helpful...

Until the driver installation said I don't have the right machine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

That why I instruct you how to perform clean installation of the DCH driver. You need first uninstall the old driver, reboot your NUC and install the new driver over Microsoft Basic Graphics Driver.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

After uninstalling 3 times, I was able to install the drivers you suggested.

Their installation never ended - after rebooting it asked to install again. I decided not to continue with that approach after the next 3 reboots and just ignored it.

The machine still freezes, so this little adventure probably didn't solve the problem

I am attaching the SSU logs after the installation was done.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi,

I can see that you are very skeptical about the help you got, it is up to you to take this advice or not.  Any way you have now the updated Graphics Driver and that is good. I forgot to mention that there is some problem in installation - the installation loop. This is bug. You could stop this after first reboot after installation. 

If you have made some changes in the BIOS Graphics Page, please set the settings there to defaults. There is no need to change them and it can cause your problem.

Please download and install (if you didn't yet), the Samsung Magician Application. Using this application, you may check the status and firmware status of your Samsung SSD. You have old firmware on this SSD version 1B2QEXE7 while the last firmware version is 2B2QEXE7.

Please download and install the Samsung NVMe Driver version 3.3.

All the above downloads you may find on Samsung Download page.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

This message was deleted since was redundant. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Sorry if that was the impression I gave...

I am actually very satisfied/grateful for the assistance as I am a loss in what to do and your guidance so far have been more than I hoped for. I got updated drivers and firmware now, but machine still gets stuck in simple tasks like running ffmpeg and Movavi.

Haven't made any BIOS changes. I validated that by making sure memory is on automatic configuration as well.

I am attaching the latest SSU logs. Not sure if you have any other ideas... I am all ears.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello tsahilevi,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

I would like to thank you both for the recommendations provided and the troubleshooting performed so far.

Additionally, I would like to confirm the following information:

• For how long you’ve been experiencing this behavior?
  • Do you remember if any update occurred prior to this behavior?
  • Do you experience this under that kind of workload only?
  • What other tools have you tried besides Movavi*?

For testing purposes, have you tried the BETA version of the driver yet? If so, do you notice any improvement in the behavior?

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Is this issue repeatable with specific tasks? Or intermittent? The reason I ask, is others have similar issues but evidence of the newer drivers being to blame on HD driver. Can you replicate the issue and monitor your network card and let me know if it spikes during the hangups?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

After installing the new beta drivers this seems to be working well.

I'll try it in the next couple of days, torturing it a bit with video editing and ffmpeg and see if it complains

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

There's some success with older drivers on this as well, good luck let us know. I can find the exact if needed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Sadly, my joy was premature.

It froze again in the next video I started editing.

To answer the questions posed here:

• For how long you’ve been experiencing this behavior?

[TSAHI] Ever since I remember trying to edit videos on this machine, so 2 years or so. Before that I didn't have that "use case" to deal with.

• Do you remember if any update occurred prior to this behavior?

[TSAHI] Nothing specific. I started installing all the Intel specific updates only once the issue was found.

• Do you experience this under that kind of workload only?

[TSAHI] I think this is related to H.264 encoding.

• What other tools have you tried besides Movavi*?

[TSAHI] ffmpeg freezes as well. Chrome browser in certain rare conditions goes into the same freezes when conducting video calls with it.

• Is this issue repeatable with specific tasks? Or intermittent?

Repeatable. Movavi would usually freeze on the same file over and over again (Sometimes it will succeed though). ffmpeg will freeze as well when trying to transcode a file to lower its resolution or just compress a video file further to save on space.

Why would any of this be related to the network card?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello tsahilevi,

I understand; I would like to further investigate this behavior for you.

Please run the Intel®Processor Diagnostic Tool and send the report in a.txt file.

To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

I will be waiting for your response.

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Esteban,

Attached are the results.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello tsahilevi,

Thank you for the information attached. I will review the reports attached to provide an update as soon as possible.

Additionally, please confirm the following information:

1.    If possible please provide a video of the behavior of the unit with the tools that are experiencing this freezes.

2.    What version of Movavi Video Editor* are you using?

3.    Please provide step-by-step to replicate this issue.

4.    By any chance have you checked with Movavi* support yet? This is to determine if they have received any similar behaviors.

We will be waiting for your response.

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Sorry for the delay. I tried replicating the behavior of this one in a way that would be easy to share but failing miserably.

To answer the questions, here's what is happening:

Any file encoded with H.264 may cause the machine to freeze. There's no specifics here. OBS .mkv files, smartphone .mp4 recorded files, etc.

It seems to occur on encoding workloads in Movavi.

Sometimes in ffmpeg, but I couldn't get ffmpeg to fail in the last few days. Don't know why.

For Movavi, this happened with their 2020 release and I just confirmed it is still the case with 2021 (version 21.0.0 to be exact).

To make it freeze, I just need to drag a video file into Movavi and wait enough time. Movavi pre-processes files you drag into it in order to optimize them into faster editing, probably by transcoding them to be smaller and with more I frames (just my gut feeling). That process alone may cause my machine to freeze - not always, but a lot of times to make Movavi (and editing on my Intel NUC in general) useless to me.

I approached Movavi support for this about a year ago, when I tried out their 2020 release. They tried helping by suggesting things like updating software drivers and such, and once that didn't help, they simply said they can't help and left it at that.

I know this isn't much to go by, but not sure what else I can do

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello tsahilevi,

I appreciate the information provided.

Please allow me to investigate this behavior for you.

I will provide an update in the thread as soon as possible.

Esteban D.

0 Kudos