Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

My NUC will not boot or post after BIOS update: is there a way to revive it?

I updated the BIOS as per recommendation and the message screen stated that everything went perfectly. When it had fiished it rebooted automatically and then never came back.

I have tried removing the power cable. If I press the power button it lights up blue and after a whle goes back to red. If hold it for 3 seconds to get to te booot menu it also reverts to red after a while. No messages are posted at all in eiher case.

The updated BIOS is version BN0076.

I have never set any custom settings.

Device is Intel NUC7I7BNH Micro Intel® 3500 MHz SOC , IRIS PLUS 650.

I have 32GB of Crucial RAM and a 1TB Samsung M.2 SSD. I have run test programs on both of these before and they passed without errors.

The OS is Win 10 Pro.

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to revive this NUC?

Many thanks for your time in advance, Ben.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

Hello @Ben​ ,

1. First try to disconnecting the Power Adapter for 30 seconds and after reconnecting it, try power ON your NUC again.
  2. If still your NUC will refuse to boot, you need recover your bios from Power Button Menu (follow the steps in the next paragraphs).
  3. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 (disable quick format option during format). Format your USB on Windows machine (rather than Linux or MAC). Save the Bios file BN0076.bio (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28640/BIOS-Update-BNKBL357-86A-?product=95065) on this stick and insert it into front USB slot with amber color (NUC shall be OFF).
  4. Press Power Button for about 3 seconds. Count 1001, 1002, 1003,1004. Release the Power Button. NUC should reboot into Power Button Menu. You should release the Power Button before 4-sec shut down override.
  5. Press F4 and the recovery shall start (it can take up to 30 seconds for messages to appear on the screen).
  6. When the recovery finishes, press on Power Button and hold it, until NUC switches OFF. Pull out the power cord. Remove the USB stick.
  7. Replace the power cord and press Power Button to switch the computer to ON.
  8. Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.
  9. Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi Leon,

Thank you for that very clear answer.

I have followed these instructions. At Step 4 I release the Power Button after 3 seconds (it goes bright red), and then it reverts to blue. I am still not seeing anything on the screen. I have repeated Step 4 with slightly shorter and longer times to double check it's not the delay.

I am on Dispay Port as I don't have an HDMI cable, but I am guessing that this can't be connected to this problem as that part is governed by hardware.

I usually use a Bluetooth keyboard, but have plugged in a hardwired USB keyboard just to elimenate any wireless issues.

I can't think of anything else to try.

Many thanks for taking the time.

Regards, Ben.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi Ben,

1. I'm sorry that my advice didn't help. Can you try HDMI cable, borrowed from your TV set?
  2. Now, I want to try bios recovery with Security Jumper removed. This method is even more thorough than recovery with F4 from Power Button menu and starts automatically (i.e. without need for user intervention).
  3. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 with Bios file BN0076.bio https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28640/BIOS-Update-BNKBL357-86A-?product=95065 . Format your USB with Quick Format option unchecked. Do not format your USB in MAC (OS) or Linux machine. Use Windows.
  4. Disconnect the power adapter and remove the bottom panel from your NUC.
  5. Remove the Yellow Bios Security Jumper. See the Technical Product Specification, page 58 - 60 https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/nuc-kits/NUC7i5BN_NUC7i7BN_TechPr...
  6. Insert the USB with the BN0076.bio file.
  7. Reconnect the power adapter and power ON the NUC. Wait 30 sec - 2min. The Recovery process will start automatically and will end after 2 -5 minutes.
  8. When bios recovery is completed, switch the power OFF, remove the power adapter and replace the Security Jumper (pins 1-2) . Reinstall the bottom panel.
  9. Power your NUC ON.
  10. Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.
  11. Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.
  12. In case that this will not help ether, I would recommend to disconnect the CMOS battery for 15 minute. Since this procedure isn't simple (requires to remove the board from the case), I will give you instructions in next post if needed.

Regards

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi Leon,

Thank you for that extra information.

It took about 2 hours of fiddling with cables and repeated attempts, but just as I was about to give up it worked.

I coukd see that it was accessing the USB, but it would not display even on HDMI - I kept trying just in case it was iterating interanally. I repeated the same sequence as you descibed, and just as I was about to call it a day, it booted into Windows.

I think there is something wrong with my NUC as it has been incredibly unreliable and crashes almost daily. I have run RAM and SSD tests, which all pass, and I have reinstalled, but the reliability remains fairly tragic.

Anyway, many many thanks for all your advice and much appreciattion for your time.

Regards, Ben.

Highlighted
Super User

Hi Ben,

1. I'm glad that your NUC is booting again into Windows.
  2. Now, since you are complaining that your NUC crashes oftenly, I suggest you to repair your Windows installation. It can be done very easily and safely. Your installed applications and personal data will not be affested. Your Windows will be replaced by a latest version. The current installation will be saved for a month in Windows.Old folder, giving you opportunity to go back.
  3. This you can do by In place Upgrade - following this tutorial (start in para. 6): https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi Leon,

Thank you for that suggestion.

I went to the link, but it implies that only Win10 Apps that are installed via the Windows Store will be retained. All my Apps are manually installed. I don't want to do this if I will lose all my Apps, as if that's the case I might as well do a clean install fresh start.

Is there anothe method to repair Windows that won't remove my Apps, or have I misunderstood the instructions?

Thank you for your time in advance.

Kind regards, Ben.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi Ben,

I don't know where you found that after performing an In place Upgrade, you will your installed programs will be removed. This will happen if you will Reset or Refresh your PC. The upgareding is same as upgrading for example from Windows 1803 to Windows 1809. Any way, if you are afraid, you may create an backup (an image) of your disk before starting. Please read the description in the beginning of this tutorial:

"The options above are great for what they are intended for, but you could also do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything other than all installed Windows Updates."

Regards

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi Leon,

OK, thanks for that advice. I will look at the options and decide what to do.

Thank you again for your time :-)

Regards, Ben.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor III

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello BSant6, I hope you found the information provided on this thread helpful. We found another ticket number in which we are doing our best to resolve this issue. We recommend continue working with the Intel Customer Support in your region. If you have any further questions, feel free to post a new question. We will be glad to help you. We will also lock this thread. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos