For this I loaded the Windows ISO-File on an USB stick. On booting the device, the installations routine starts. First I have to choose the language and the country to install, then I decide to install. After keying in the product key and acceptance of the license conditions, I choose the user defined Windows installation. Then a window popes up with the devices where to install Windows 10. The list is empty and the functions "Actualize" and "Load Drivers" are active.
I then tried it with Intel drivers like ATA/RAID. Although they were loaded, the list with USB devices did not contain a device.
By the way, I managed to install Linux Ubuntu on the same NUC with out any problems.
Since I rather prefer Windows I have this problems.
Please can you give me a hint, how to solve the Problem.
The windows installation media is faulty.
Use the procedure here to make your usb install stick: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Do not use a mac or linux os to make the usb stick.
Hi @EHone1 ,
To complete Al's recommendation to prepare your Installation USB, using Microsoft Media Creation Tool, install Windows following those paragarphs:
- Your bios should be set to default settings. Enter bios (press F2 during boot) and then press F9 (Y) to set defaults and F10 (Y) to save settings and exit.
- With the installation media inserted into slot, power ON your NUC and press F10 to get Boot Menu.
- In this menu, choose UEFI option of you Installation media.
- Follow this tutorial to continue with installation https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html
- In para. 7 you may enter Product Key from the Microsoft Distribution you bought.
- Skip on para. 12 and continue in para. 13. Important, do not format drive where you want to install Windows, rather delete all existing partitions from this drive, till you see one unallocated space.
- Press Next and continue with the installation.
It did not help. I would have wondered if it would have helped since I created the USB stick with the same installation tool from Microsoft and also set the boot setting to default.
I have omitted to mention that there is no hard drive (SSD) in the NUC. Windows 10 may not be installed on a USB stick.
You are doing something wrong. You do NOT install W10 on the USB stick. You CREATE a USB stick that contains the install media. Go back to the Microsoft link and read the instructions. Or, read the tutorial Leon provided. Or, contact Microsoft support.
I realize that I only use the Microsoft Tool to create an installation USB stick. Analogous to Linux Ubuntu but I should be able to install with this USB flash drive W10 on a second USB drive. But obviously it is not possible install W10 ontu an USB flash drive. I have ordered a hard disk in the meantime.
In the meantime, I have connected an unused hard disk and tried it with this. The installer had also recognized this HDD but with the message 'W10 can not be installed on external HDD's that are connected via USB' That's it, so buy a SSD storage.
Here you will find a procedure how to create Windows 10 Live USB: https://www.pcmag.com/article/352209/how-to-run-windows-10-from-a-usb-drive