Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

My nuc8i7hnk1 will not power up

My nuc8i7hnk1 will not power up. I do know that the power supply works because I was able to power up another device. Please help, Ive been having this Nuc for 1.5 yrs. Thanks!!

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

When you plug in the power supply (and it's connected to A/C power), an LED on the NUC's board should come on and stay on. Can you see this (you might have to remove lid and Skull light control board to see this)? If you then press the power button, what happens? Do you feel the feedback vibrations of the actual button on the board being pressed? Do you see any other LEDs light up? Hear blowers spin? Anything?

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

have you tried resetting the bios by removing the yellow jumper method on the motherboard?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

That doesn't reset the BIOS.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Nope. That's not what it says. All this does is clear the CMOS memory. Since BIOS do not use CMOS memory for configuration storage (and have not for many years!), all this does is wipe out the current date and time. The BIOS does, however, use the checksum error caused by a CMOS clear as an indicator of an error condition, but this still does not touch the contents of the BIOS configuration.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I am trying to point him to the jumper method of recovering bios. it is written clearly on page 44 of the design specification for HNK what to do for bios recovery, by removing the yellow jumper. please dont debate about tangentially related issues.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/nuc-kits/NUC8i7HNK_TechProdSpec.p...

0 Kudos
Highlighted

If that's what you meant, you should have clearly said so. Don't admonish me for your mistakes. And that's not what you call a BIOS Reset either, it's a BIOS Recovery; two completely unrelated activities.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Sorry for the delay response. Nothing comes up. No LED's. When I press the power button nothing happens. It was working fine the night before.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I moved it from one side to the other but not removed completely

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Put the jumper back where it was.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

refer to "bios recovery by security jumper" in this article

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005636/intel-nuc.html

you can activate the reset and recovery menu by removing the yellow jumper. moving to the 2-3 position only locks the bios.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@EBaez​, did powering on with the jumper removed make any difference?

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

@n.scott.pearson​ Negative...No difference. I disassemble the pc and looked at the motherboard for any short but all looks clean to me. I do not know what else to do other than buying a new one.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Yea, I figured that was the case (I have never seen a system that appeared dead like this to actually recover based on jumper removal. Still, it was something to try (you never know). Remember that you have a 3-year world-wide warranty to rely on.

After verifying that your warranty is still active (here: Determine if Your Product Is Still Under Warranty), you need to directly contact Intel Customer Support to initiate the RMA process (you cannot do this through the forums). Here are pages where you can lookup contact information, including local phone numbers, by geography:

You can use the online forms service or email, but I actually recommend calling them directly. The above links provide local or toll-free numbers in most countries and support most local languages. You could also use the chat service (start here: Intel Customer Support Chat), but understand that this service is offered in English only and is subject to the normal (9:00-5:00 M-F) office hours in the Pacific (UTC-8) time zone.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Sir...again thank you for the info!! I was able to do the warranty on the device. Im just waiting for some emails from Intel.

0 Kudos