cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sandhuman
Novice

NUC 10i7FNKPA 3.5 inch jack not working

I have recently purchased a brand new NUC 10i7FNKPA

When I initially switched on the NUC, the headphones and microphone worked fine 

I then applied the Windows updates and the Intel Bios Update as requested by the system

The microphone continues to work but there is no longer any sound

I receive a message stating "Plug in Speaker, Headset or Headphone"image.png

I have tested the headphones with mic on another computer and they work fine

I have tested other headphones on the NUC and none of them word (sound)

The system test states all updates are correct (I attach the system information report)

Please can you help 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
30 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Sandhuman 

Since in my NUC10i7FNH I don't have problem with the Realtek Audio Driver and the audio works from the 3.5 mm jack, I decided to perform a test. I have to emphasize that it is crucial to have installed the Chipset Software and Management Engine  Driver (downloaded from the Download Center), before starting with any driver installation:

1. From the Apps & Features I've uninstalled the currently installed Realtek Audio Driver and rebooted my NUC.  After reboot you can see the Device Manager and the Device IDs in the attached IntelDisplayAudioID.png and RealtekAudioID.png. As you can see in both devices the ID is INTELAUDIO.... In addition please not an unidentified device in Other Devices.

2. Although I've uninstalled the previously installed driver, the Realtek Driver Installer, started from uninstalling some driver's remains. Then, reboot was requested and the installation finished with the installation of the last Realtek Driver. See the attached: RealtekAudioDriverUpdated.png and RealtekAudioDriverUpdatedID.

3. So, in conclusion, I don't see problem with the driver ID.

Leon

Sandhuman
Novice

Leon,

I have installed the Chipset Software for my NUC10iFNKPA  (see attached screenshot Intel Chipset Install) and Management Engine  Driver software  for my NUC10iFNKPA  (see attached screenshot Intel Management Engine). 

The chipset driver is INF_Win10_10.1.18019.8144 (the link below is evidence that is correct for my NUC10iFNKPA

Download INF Driver Pack for Windows® 10 64-bit for NUC10i7FN, NUC10i5FN, NUC10i3FN (intel.com)

The management  engine driver is ME_Win10_1931.14.0.1323 (the link below is evidence that is correct for my NUC10iFNKPA

Download Intel® Management Engine Consumer Driver for Windows® 10 64-bit for NUC10i7FN, NUC10i5FN, N...

I had already uninstalled the Realtek driver from Apps & Features as suggested by other contributors as evidenced by my Missing Realtek App Screen

I have re-booted the machine

--------------------------------------------------

After reboot you can see the Device Manager and the Device IDs in the attached IntelDisplayAudioID.png and DAudioID.png.

As you can see in both devices the ID is HDAUDIO... and not INTELAUDIO....

The remainder of the ID is identical both for your machine and mine 

I have no Other Devices.

------------------------------------------------------

I have uninstalled the existing drivers and tried to re-install the Realtek driver

There is no change - the Realtek driver will not install

This is because the Realtek driver is looking for the hardware ID of INTELAUDIO....(like in your machine) and not HDAUDIO.... (like in my machine) 

Your NUC10i7FNH has had the Realtek soundcard and associated firmware correctly configured to show a hardware ID of INTELAUDIO...... (which the driver is expecting)

MyNUC10i7FNKPA has had the Realtek soundcard and associated firmware incorrectly configured to show a hardware ID of HDAUDIO...... (which the driver is NOT expecting).

Intel have now tested themselves and offered a warranty replacement 

Unfortunately I need the machine for a new job I am starting on Monday 

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Sandhuman 

I agree that must be a problem. As you know you are not alone with the same problem. I just wanted to share the information I have, from NUC where this driver works. BTW, I have updated BIOS using BIOS Recovery from the Power Button menu, rather than the express method or F7 method. May be this make this trick?

Leon

Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Sandhuman, Thank you very much for providing that information.

We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

mecej4
Black Belt

Search engines would do better at locating this thread if the title said "3.5 mm" instead of "3.5 inch". The latter would be about 1 mm bigger than the caliber of the fearsome Krupp 88 mm Flak-18 of WW-II. 

Sandhuman
Novice

Alberto,

I cannot exercise the warranty as I start a new job on Monday and I need the NUC

As Such, I have purchased a bluetooth headset which works fine

Can you close this support ticket albeit it is unresolved  

Can you feedback to your quality control people and perhaps they can mull over their quality checking process which may prevent such an issue in the future

Kind Regards

Sandhuman
Novice

Leon,

Thank you for your help, it has really been appreciated

Unfortunately, I have no more time to try and resolve this issue, I have rejected the Intel offer to exercise the warranty  because I start a new job on Monday and I need the NUC

As Such, I have purchased a bluetooth headset which works fine, perhaps it was time I moved from a wired headset to a bluetooth headset

Kind Regards

Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Sandhuman, Thank you very much for sharing those updates.

In reference to, "Can we close this support ticket albeit it is unresolved  

Can we feedback to our quality control people and perhaps they can mull over their quality checking process which may prevent such an issue in the future"

Yes, sure, no problem, we can close the ticket for this case. What we were going to suggest next was to replace the unit, but we completely understand why that option is not available for you anymore.

All the feedback provided by our customers is very important for Intel®, We will send your comments to the proper department for them to be aware of your suggestions and recommendations to avoid, as you mentioned, this problem in the future.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

burstcache
New Contributor I

@Alberto_Sykes Can I ask why you are offering this customer a replacement yet I am being told there is no stock and I have to accept a refund at your recommended retail price? This is shockingly bad customer service, a month with faulty hardware and still no resolution. If this experience is anything like how you dealt with Apple I can completely see why they dropped you. I personally am reviewing Intel equipment used in my business and will be actively pursuing altertnatives.

Ericharron
Beginner

So, it appears this thread has not been solved. My updated killed my headphone jack as well. This analog jack is the whole reason I bought the nuc. So, this is very bad and I may end up trashing the computer over it which is devastating. I followed the instructions and updated the bios to the latest release and the Realtek drivers to the latest and still no success. I'm running Windows 10 and when I right click the speaker icon and go to speaker set up/ advanced I can can see the headphone jack and it shows not plugged in. This is consistent no matter what I plug in. Please help. I hate that I may have waisted $1,000 and only gotten a few months of use out of this box.