Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products

NUC 11 stays on

njs23
Novice
Hi all,

I've bought 6 Intel NUC Kit BNUC11TNKI50002 Core i5 Tiger Canyon. All of them have got a similar problem: Sometimes they stay on after Windows 11 is shutted down.

Monitor is deactivated/ gets black. No response on Keyboard or mouse. White NUC Powerbutton light is on. The only way to restart is by pushing the power button for about 30s.

Latest BIOS, latest driver (through Intel Driver Utility), Windows 11. Bios resetted to defaults using F9. Problem occurs not always.

Any news on that topic?

Regards njs
0 Kudos
31 Replies
azdust
New Contributor I

Similar issue here:

About half of the time the blue led power button light on the front of my NUC11PABi7 will stay on after receiving the shutdown command.  The machine is apparently frozen.  If I press the power button the machine will not turn on, nor will it turn off.

Process:

• Click on the shut down menu in Windows 11.

• Windows will begin the shut down procedure.  The screen goes black and the no signal message appears on my monitor.

• About 50% of the time for no apparent reason, the blue light on the front of my NUC11PABi7 will stay on after receiving the shutdown command.  The blue light will remain on indefinitely.  (I have noted that the blue power button light will remain on for at least one hour after receiving the shutdown command.

• Pushing the power button will not turn off the light nor will it turn on the Nuc.  The machine is apparently frozen.

• The only way to turn off the blue light or to use the computer is to hold down the power button for about 30 seconds.  The system is essentially locked up.

The problem appears to be related to graphics drivers.  I did not have this issue with version 27 released back in July 2021.  So far I have had the problem with every driver in the 30 range.  If you do a search others have reported this issue on this forum.  Unfortunately, a resolution has not been posted.

Here is my system:

NUC11PABi7

Bios 0042

Motherboard version: K90104-305

Western Digital Black 1tb SN850 NVME

64 gigabytes of ram - Kingston Fury Impact 2x32GB 3200mhz ddr4 cl20

Monitor: Dell 32 inch 4k monitor - Model Number: S3221qs

Dell Premier Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Combo - Model Number KM732W

Canon ImageClass Mfc632cdw printer - wireless

Windows 11 Pro

No peripherals attached.

njs23
Novice
Thanks for your reply.

It seems im not alone with that problem and hope Intel is aware of it.

I've bought 6 NUCs for our business and beside that shutdown issue we're satisified with the NUCs.
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @njs23

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to review this further, could you please provide us with the following information?

1- Is this issue happening since the first day that you have the Intel® NUCs? Or did it work fine before?

If this worked fine before, were there any Hardware or Software changes (e.g.: Windows, BIOS, driver, or software updates) that may relate to the point when the issue started? Please provide details.

2- Please check Windows* Device Manager and let us know if you see any device/component with error messages/error codes or if there is any "Unknown device" listed there.

3- How do you shut down the systems? For instance, using the regular "Shut down" button from the Windows Start menu? Or using a script or scheduled task?

4- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system:

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

njs23
Novice
Hi Andrew,

thanks for your reply.

1)
Maybe it started after the latest update via windows update for the graphics driver. But can't really tell for sure.

2)
No unknown devices or errors

3)
Through start menu shutdown button

4)
Results bellow

Thanks and greetings, njs

Intel® Driver & Support Assistant
Detailed Report
Last scan: 02.04.2022 20:26

Computer
Intel® Client Systems NUC
Systemhersteller (System Manufacturer) Intel® Client Systems
Systemmodell (System Model) NUC11TNKi5
Systemtyp (System Type) Desktop
Mainboard-Hersteller (Motherboard Manufacturer) Intel Corporation
Mainboard-Produkt (Motherboard Product) NUC11TNBi5
Version M11904-403
BIOS-Version (BIOS Version) TNTGL357.0064.2022.0217.1550
Datum (Date) 17.02.2022
SMBIOS-Version (SMBIOS Version) 3.3
Sicherer Start (Secure Boot) Ein (On)
Betriebssystem (Operating System)
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro (64-Bit)
Release 2009
Version 21H2
BS-Build (OS Build) 10.0.22000
Build-Verzweigung (Build Branch) co_release
Standort (Locale) Deutsch (Deutschland)
Windows-Verzeichnis (Windows Directory) C:\Windows
Systemverzeichnis (System Directory) C:\Windows\system32
.NET Framework-Versionen (.NET Framework Versions) 2.0.50727.4927, 3.0.30729.4926, 3.5.30729.4926, 3.5.30729.5003, 4.0.0.0, 4.8.04161
Installierte Internet-Browser (Installed Internet Browsers) Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer 11.1.22000.0, Microsoft Edge
Prozessor (Processor)
11th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz
Gerätedetails (Device Details)
Hersteller (Manufacturer) GenuineIntel
Beschreibung (Description) Intel64 Family 6 Model 140 Stepping 1
Architektur (Architecture) x64
Anzahl der Kerne (# of Cores) 4
Anzahl der Threads (# of Threads) 8
Grundtaktfrequenz des Prozessors (Processor Base Frequency) 2419 MHz
Aktuelle Spannung (Current Voltage) 7.
Level-2-Cache (Level 2 Cache) 5120 Kb
Level-3-Cache (Level 3 Cache) 8192 Kb
Prozessor-ID (Processor Id) 0x806C1
Verfügbarkeit (Availability) Betrieb bei voller Leistung (Running at full power)
Grafikprodukte (Graphics)
Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics
Adapterkompatibilität (Adapter Compatibility) Intel Corporation
Videoprozessor (Video Processor) Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics Family
Lösung (Resolution) 1920 x 1080
Bit pro Pixel (Bits Per Pixel) 32
Anzahl Farben (Number of Colors) 4294967296
Aktualisierungsrate – Aktuell (Refresh Rate - Current) 60 Hz
Aktualisierungsrate – Maximum (Refresh Rate - Maximum) 75 Hz
Aktualisierungsrate – Minimum (Refresh Rate - Minimum) 50 Hz
Anbieter (Provider) Intel Corporation
Version 30.0.101.1191
Datum (Date) 12.03.2021
Adapter DAC-Typ (Adapter DAC Type) Internal
Adapter RAM 1,00 GB
Verfügbarkeit (Availability) Betrieb bei voller Leistung (Running at full power)
Status Dieses Gerät funktioniert einwandfrei. (This device is working properly.)
Standort (Location) PCI bus 0, device 2, function 0
Gerätekennung (Device Id) PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9A49&SUBSYS_30028086&REV_01\3&11583659&0&10
Netzwerktechnik und I/O (Networking and I/O)
Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz
Hersteller (Manufacturer) Intel Corporation
Status Dieses Gerät funktioniert einwandfrei. (This device is working properly.)
Installiert (Installed) True
MAC-Adresse (MAC Address) AC:74:B1:1A:5E:46
Dienstname (Service Name) Netwtw10
Anbieter (Provider) Intel
Version 22.40.0.7
Datum (Date) 03.03.2021
Gerätekennung (Device Id) PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A0F0&SUBSYS_00748086&REV_20\3&11583659&0&A3
Version (Revision) 20
Intel® Ethernet Controller (3) I225-LM
Hersteller (Manufacturer) Intel
MAC-Adresse (MAC Address) 48:21:0B:2D:3C:74
Dienstname (Service Name) e2fexpress
Anbieter (Provider) Intel
Version 1.0.2.6
Datum (Date) 22.09.2020
Gerätekennung (Device Id) PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15F2&SUBSYS_30028086&REV_03\48210BFFFF2D3C7400
Version (Revision) 03
Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Hersteller (Manufacturer) Microsoft
MAC-Adresse (MAC Address) AC:74:B1:1A:5E:4A
Dienstname (Service Name) BthPan
Anbieter (Provider) Microsoft
Version 10.0.22000.1
Datum (Date) 21.06.2006
Gerätekennung (Device Id) BTH\MS_BTHPAN\6&371086A8&0&2
Thunderbolt-Controller 1
Version 1.41.1020.0
Thunderbolt™ Generation Thunderbolt 4 (9A1B)
Anzahl der Ports (Number Of Ports) 1
NVM-Firmwareversion (NVM Firmware Version) 43:0
PCIe-Tunneling (Pcie Tunneling) True
Thunderbolt-Controller 2
Version 1.41.1020.0
Thunderbolt™ Generation Thunderbolt 4 (9A1D)
Anzahl der Ports (Number Of Ports) 1
NVM-Firmwareversion (NVM Firmware Version) 43:0
PCIe-Tunneling (Pcie Tunneling) True
Speicher (Memory)
16 GB
Physischer Speicher – Gesamt (Physical Memory - Total) 16 GB
Physischer Speicher – Verfügbar (Physical Memory - Available) 11,53 GB
Virtueller Speicher – Gesamt (Virtual Memory - Total) 18,09 GB
Virtueller Speicher – Verfügbar (Virtual Memory - Available) 13,82 GB
Auslagerungsdatei (Page File) C:\pagefile.sys
Speicherplatz der Auslagerungsdatei (Page File Space) 2,38 GB
Massenspeicher (Storage)
Samsung SSD 980 PRO 500GB
Kapazität (Capacity) 465,76 GB
Version 4B2QGXA7
Seriennummer (Serial Number) 0025_38BC_11B5_3AEC.
Partitionen (Partitions) 3
Anbieter (Provider) Microsoft
Version 10.0.22000.1
Datum (Date) 21.06.2006
Gerätekennung (Device Id) SCSI\DISK&VEN_NVME&PROD_SAMSUNG_SSD_980\5&15B95389&0&000000
Gerätepfad (Device Path) \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0
C:
Dateisystem (File System) NTFS
Komprimiert (Compressed) False
Kapazität (Capacity) 465,04 GB
Freier Speicherplatz (Free Space) 425,01 GB
njs23
Novice

.. and today from another NUC in our Office. This time the machine "hung" after I came back, it seems like it wasn't responsive after sleep/hibernate. Only way to start again was by pushing the power button for about 20-30s, and restart.

Attached the output from Intel Support-Assistent.

njs

tomashoch
Beginner

I've got the exact same problem with my NUC11TNKI5 - the power LED and fan stay on after shutdown frequently, with no other resolution than holding the power button or unplugging the power cord. I'm using Windows 11 with the latest available drivers.

However, the reply from @azdust mentioning the older Graphics driver got me thinking and it looks like rolling back to this driver fixes the issue! That's of course by no means a final solution, but here are the steps to take if you want to get rid of this issue right now:

1. Download an older NUC Graphics Driver from the 27.-series. They aren't available anymore from Intel.com, but Softpedia has them mirrored. For example, download this one (choose 'Softpedia Secure Download (US)' as download location). I don't think the device model matters much as long as it's from the NUC11 series, as the NUC11TNKv7 download is 100% identical.
  2. Extract the .zip file to an easy-to-remember location.
  3. Open Device Manager (right click on Start button -> Device Manager), right click on 'Display adapters', and right click on the Intel Iris Xe entry. Select 'Uninstall' and tick the 'Delete the driver software for this device' checkbox. The Iris Xe entry will now disappear. Don't refresh or scan for hardware changes just yet, as this will reinstall the newer 30.-series driver.
  4. Click on the top entry (your PC name) and open the Action menu. Click on the top entry (should be something like 'Add drivers', I'm using Windows in another language). Navigate to the folder you chose in step 2. Make sure the 'Include subfolders' checkbox is ticked. Windows should find a number of drivers.
  5. Now, you can scan for hardware changes through the Action menu. This should find the Iris Xe graphics and install the 27.-driver we want. You can check this by right clicking on the new Iris Xe entry and opening Properties. The 'Driver version' should contain a version number starting with 27.
  6. Unfortunately, both Intel Driver & Support Assistant and Windows Update will try to update the driver to the newest version automatically. To prevent this from happening, I've removed the Intel Driver & Support Assistant (Settings -> Apps -> Installed apps) and disabled driver updates from Windows Update (regular Windows patches will still be installed). There's a group policy to do this, but as I'm running Windows 11 Home, I had to do this registry change:
    1. Click Start, type 'regedit' and open it.
    2. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
    3. If the WindowsUpdate key doesn't yet exist, you can create it by right-clicking the Windows key, New -> Key and give it the exact name 'WindowsUpdate'.
    4. Right-click the WindowsUpdate key, select New -> DWORD (32-bit). Use this as name: ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate.  Press enter.
    5. Double-click the newly created DWORD and set the value to 1 (hexadecimal). Click OK.
    6. Close the registry editor. If you want to enable driver updates through Windows Update again in the future, just delete the ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate DWORD we just made.
  7. You should be good to go now, rebooting is probably a good idea. You can check whether the issue is solved by powering your system off and on again a few times.

It sure looks like the issue is gone for me, the power LED went off immediately after shutting down like 10-15 times in a row. The old driver seems to work just fine on Windows 11. You'll of course be missing the latest optimizations for new games etc, so I hope Intel can fix the issue with the newer drivers quickly and we can use the newest drivers again.

njs23
Novice
Thanks for the fix, will try later when I'm back in the office.

njs
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @njs23

Thank you for your response and for the details.

Please allow us to review this further and we will be posting back in the thread as soon as more information is available.

Also, many thanks to @tomashoch for your feedback about the workaround and for the help provided.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello @njs23

Could you please try the following and let us know if the issue is fixed or if the behavior persists?

1- Please make sure that the Operating System (OS) is up to date and install any pending updates (e.g.: security or fixes), You may refer to this link: Update Windows*. 

2- Try a Clean Installation of the Intel® Graphics Drivers in Windows* to reinstall the latest Intel® Graphics DCH Driver for the Intel® NUC Version 30.0.101.1191.

3- Please try a BIOS Recovery (e.g.: Recovery by Security Jumper) using the latest BIOS 0064.

4- Once the BIOS recovery is completed, please load BIOS defaults:

1. Press F2 during start to enter BIOS Setup.
  2. Press F9 to set BIOS default values.
  3. Customize any BIOS settings, if desired (optional).
  4. Press F10 to save and exit BIOS Setup.

If the issue persists, please provide us with an Intel® SSU report to gather more details about the system.

Note: The reports you provided are "Intel® DSA" reports. This is a report different than the Intel® SSU report we were requesting before.

To generate and pull the Intel® SSU report, please follow these steps:

• Download and save the application on your computer.
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save. (Save the file as a .txt file).

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Erftstaedter
Novice

Hello,

this seems to be a bug caused by latest versions of the driver for the graphics card.

Probably all devices are affected that have drivers of versions 30.xx......... installed.

On my NUC11PAHi7 a downgrade to this earlier version of the drivers helped:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/30381/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html...

Since installing this driver version, my NUC shuts down reliably and no longer causes any problems.

Best regards,

Erftstadter

AndrewG_Intel

Hello njs23

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

njs23
Novice
I tried what you recommended but had still the problem with a windows 11 not shutting down correctly.

So I ended up with uninstalling the driver, now I'm using 27.20.100.8935, the one that came with windows 11 (it installed automatically after removing 30.xxx).

Regards, njs
AndrewG_Intel

Hello njs23.

Thank you for your response and for the feedback.

We are still working on this matter. In the meantime, our recommendation is the following:

1. Uninstall the graphics driver version 30.0.x.x that experiences this behavior (for instance, 30.0.101.1191). Refer to How To Uninstall the Intel® Graphics Driver.
  2. Download the Intel® Graphics – Windows* DCH Driver Version 27.20.100.9466.
  3. Install the Graphics Driver Version 27.20.100.9466.
  4. Decline any Graphics Driver updates that will be offered by Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA).

Note:

If the graphics driver version 27.20.100.8935 works fine for you, then you can continue using it until new details are available. We will be posting back in the thread once we have more information about this issue.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

azdust
New Contributor I

I can confirm that the generic Iris Xe driver version 30.0.101.1660 does not resolve the issue.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello all,

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

We continue working on this and we would like to inform you that there is going to be a new graphics driver released soon, for now, using a different driver than 30.0.101.1191 is recommended.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/721124/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.htm...

We will update this community thread as soon as any new information is available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

njs23
Novice
Hi,

I appreciate youre working on that matter with high priority.

Regards
Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi everyone, 

We are still working on a permanent solution for this issue but for now, I would recommend that you test GFX driver version 30.0.101.1069 or version 27.20.100.9466 that do not exhibit this issue.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/685037/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.htm...

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/30381/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html

I really apologize for the inconvenience, please try this temporary solution while we work with the Graphics team, we will provide more updates as we progress further.

Regards,

Ronny G

njs23
Novice
Ew2
Novice

@Ronny_G_Intel 

Hi Ronny,

more than a month passed since your last post.

Are there any updates related to this topic?

Regards,

E.

azdust
New Contributor I

On July 1st I received a bios version 46 update notification.  Installation went fine.  Unfortunately, bios 46 did NOT FIX the issue of the Blue light remaining on after shutdown.  The only way to use the computer after this happens is to hold down the power button for 15 seconds. Doing this forces the system to shutdown completely.