Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12341 Discussions

NUC 2nd Monitor Waking issues

Remock
Novice

Please reference NUC 2nd Monitor Waking issues - Intel Communities as it was closed while I was gone for a wedding.  The solution posed in the question (update BIOS and graphics) did not work and actually broke faster than any other solution I've used. @JosueO_Intel my machine is currently in the state of not displaying both monitors if you would like another scan. I will leave it this way until I hear back.

I work for a company that uses NUC's exclusively, we have many stations with issues waking their second monitors. All drivers have been updated as per Intel's update assistant. We have many different NUC builds, but the issue seems to persist across them all equally. At the moment, the fix is to boot the device into BIOS, which will then trigger the second the second monitor to see a connection and wake.

Things that I've tried that have not worked:

Update all drivers

Update the BIOS

Update the firmware on the monitors

Swap the NUC's 

Swap the cables

Swap the monitors

Swap the inputs

We use 3 different versions of the ASUS Pro Art series:

PA24AC - most problems

PA248 - second most problems

WUXGA - no problems

I have seen many dead end forums for this where the resolutions are only workarounds, I am hoping to avoid this kind of solution as it does not work in a corporate environment. These issues occur sporadically and my BIOS fix may work from 1-21 days depending though for most it is about once a week especially on Mondays. 

0 Kudos
15 Replies
JosueO_Intel

Hello Remock, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. 

Please provide me with a new report of the Intel® System Support Utility for both Intel® NUCs. 

Remember to download it here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows

Open the application and select "Everything" click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

Click on "Next", save the report and attach it to your response.

Regards,

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

Remock
Novice

I will get these for you, please allow through tomorrow to receive them.

JosueO_Intel

Hello Remock, 

Sure, we will wait for you to get the reports and send them to us.

Regards,

Josue O.  

Remock
Novice

Here you are, the graphics and BIOS have been updated on both as instructed. NUC01 has failed since the updates.

JosueO_Intel

Hello Remock, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Regards,

Josue O.  

JosueO_Intel

Hello Remock, 

Please try performing a firmware update for the HDMI port of the Intel® NUC devices. You can download the firmware update for the NUC8 on the next link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19750/hdmi-firmware-update-tool-for-nuc8i3be-nuc8i5...

And for the NUC7 on the next one:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/646002/hdmi-firmware-update-tool-for-nuc7i3bn-nuc7i...

You may also find useful our article "Known Issue: Intel® NUC Kits and Mini PCs - Issues Waking Display from Sleep When Using Intel Graphics" where you may find some extra information about the issue and possible solutions.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000056205/intel-nuc.html

Regards,

Josue O.  

JosueO_Intel

Hello Remock, 

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.  

Regards,

Josue O.  

Remock
Novice

Josue,

I will try this firmware update, I am at another office this week so please allow until the 21st for me to make these changes.

JosueO_Intel

Hello Remock, 

Thank you for the information provide. 

We will wait for you to be able to perform the firmware update and test if the system works fine, I will be following up on the thread on December 22nd to check if you were able to perform the recommendations. 

Regards,

Josue O.  

Remock
Novice

Josue,

I have pushed these firmware updates, ironically the update fails if the issue is present so I had to fix the issue before this was even possible. I will need to wait about a week to see if this fails again. I can check in again with you on the 28th of December to verify this did in fact work.

For others reading this thread a temporary fix is to boot into your BIOS (F2 for me) and then immediately exit and boot normally.

JosueO_Intel

Hello Remock, 

Thank you for the update, we will wait for you to keep testing the system and see if the issue returns. If you have any updates please let us know. 

I will be following up on the thread on December 29th to check how the testing went. 

Regards,

Josue O.  

Remock
Novice

Josue,

The issue has not presented itself again since this update, can you give me the link where I can find this firmware update for all NUC models?

JosueO_Intel

Hello Remock, 

Thank you for the update, I am glad to hear that the issue hasn't returned. 

In this case, for the firmware updates, you can find them in our download center, here is the link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/search.html?ws=text#sort=relevancy&layout=table&f:@tabfilter...]

Another way you can find it is by going to ark.intel.com, selecting the Intel® NUC menu, selecting the type of NUC and the generation. You will get a window with all the Intel® NUC models of that generation, select one and go to drivers and software and you will be able to find the specific firmware update for that model. 

You may also find useful our article "Known Issue: Intel® NUC Kits and Mini PCs - Issues Waking Display from Sleep When Using Intel Graphics" where you can find more information on the issue you are presenting. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000056205/intel-nuc.html

Regards,

Josue O.  

JosueO_Intel

Hello Remock, 

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance. 

Regards,

Josue O.  

JosueO_Intel

Hello Remock, 

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Regards,

Josue O.