cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CGree4
Beginner

NUC 4K HDR HDMI 2.0a HDCP2.2 OUTPUT ?

HI Guys,

I've been desperately trying to get some concrete information on this topic. It seems almost impossible to find someone who can actually tell you whether it is possible or not?

I wish to get a NUC for which one of its main uses will be local, downloaded, movie playback. I would like to be able to download 4k movies with dolby atoms sound and HDR10 colour.

I use my xbox for Netflix etc so this is for downloaded movies.

I am connecting via HDMI to a Denon 4K HDR Atmos receiver.

Has anybody here had any experience with this and if so which NUC are you using?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
57 Replies
JRayn
New Contributor I

Take a look at the 8th generation NUCs. I think they satisfy your requirements. Personally I am going to wait for the 9th generation NUC.

CGree4
Beginner

Yeah If my PC hadn't blown up recently then I'd be happy to wait.

The NUC with I5-7300U processor has 2 HDMI 2.0a outputs but I still can't figure out if this means they need an external LSPConvertor or whatever its called and if they both output HDCP2.2.

It just seems so hard to find the correct information around local playback. The intel spec page states it does Netflix streaming but nothing about if you're watching movies from your hard drive.

JRayn
New Contributor I

CGree4
Beginner

WOW that's amazing! According to the info on those pages then, it should be able to do what I need it to do.

Thank you so much for taking the time to find that for me

Happy Days

mHoug
Beginner

before you go spending money to play your downloaded movies which software have you planned to use as kodi doesn't do HDR, madvr doesn't work with intel and powerdvd doesn't do 24p with mkv's

CGree4
Beginner

Well that's the next hurdle... I've spent a lot of time reading through countless forum discussions and again this seems like a gray area...

I was under the impression that VLC was sufficient.

If not I'm sure I've come across some others...

Have you got the same problem then ???

CGree4
Beginner

Or 5k player I think I read somewhere?

mHoug
Beginner

i'm testing again this week but so far i think i'm sticking with my minix-u9 and coreelec as PC 4k HDR is to much faff

CGree4
Beginner

Agreed. . It does seem so incredibly complicated.

So do u download movies using pc, then put em on a USB stick and play thru the minix-u9?

mHoug
Beginner

i rip all my own but the principle is the same, with the minix i can rip to mkv as there big buggers lol, and watch the extra's from the blu ray through xbox

Mitchell_R_Intel
Employee

Not that I don't want you to get a NUC but if you have an Xbox, why don't you use that for 4K movie playback? If you have an S or X they will both playback UHD content natively. Only the original Xbox One will not.

CGree4
Beginner

I have an Xbox one S...

I tried playing movies before my PC blew up by putting them on portable storage but then they just wouldn't play...

I don't want to have to spend time changing the format of a movie file to play through Xbox.

I need a pc anyway...

I've looked into VLC player and it has all the bells and whistles needed to play full 4k HDR and pass through Atmos.

Mitchell_R_Intel
Employee

You do know that VLC is available for the Xbox One S? Have you tried that?

mHoug
Beginner

yes but like with kodi you cannot bitstream HD audio, there is huge limitations on what you can do on an XBOX, again great hardware only to be restricted by software

i am a massive home cinema enthusiast full Atmos setup and i have looked and looked at ideas and ways to do it and with the minix my wife grabs the harmony remote hits the 4k activity and within 5 mins is watching her movie or TV show, with windows so many things can go wrong, NFS drives not mapping correctly or kodi not gaining focus after explorer being killed, or powerdvd not playing ball when loading the movie

JRayn
New Contributor I

Nvidia Shield?

mHoug
Beginner

could be good, hardware is nice no libreelec support so have to use android which i believe has refresh rate troubles and doesn't map colour space correctly, would need to buy to fully test but minix is cheaper and works

CGree4
Beginner

I'm just looking at Nvidia Shield now... Seems to be the muts nuts to be fair and does everything!

But does it play external movies thru its own hardware or does it need software like plex to be able to watch 4k HDR?

My god at least its reassuring somewhat to know how many others are frustrated by this...

mHoug
Beginner

the best thing that could happen but wont is if Intel could actually work on Linux drivers and give us HDR and work with software developers on how to get 4k hardware decoding and HDR to output, cyberlink can do it and it was once Intel exclusive so did intel help them? if the nuc could do what the minix does and thats intel libreelec and output 4k HDR they would possibly sell a lot more of them as they out perform anything android hardware based

mHoug
Beginner

again anything other than a NUC will do 4k HDR better, but i know from my 30 min research i found auto refresh rate bugs and proper colour space mapping to BT2020 on the shield as it's android based

JRayn
New Contributor I

I agree.

Personally I have an irrational dislike of Android.

Really looking forward to the 9th generation. Think I've said that before!