Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IMour2
Beginner

NUC 6i7KYK Windows 10 - Headset microphone not being detected despite up-to-date Realtek drivers

Hi there,

What can I do to get my Intel NUC 6i7KYK Skull Canyon, running Windows 10 (Home), to detect my gaming headset's microphone audio input?

I have used the Intel automatic driver assistant and can confirm that my Realtek High Definition Audio drivers are up-to-date (6.0.1.7982, Release date: January 18, 2017, Size: 380 MB).

When I plug in my headset, which is https://www.plantronics.com/us/en/product/rig-400 this model, I do not get any Realtek Audio Manager pop-up window.

I have to manually click the Speaker icon in the taskbar, and this what I see in the Playback Devices & Recording Devices menus:

I have tested the Headset and it is properly receiving the NUC's stereo audio output.

The settings look like this:

However, when I go to the Recording screen, with the Headset's boom mic plugged in correctly, all I see is this:

Whatever this "Stereo Mix" thing is, the Intel NUC is detecting it as some sort of microphone or audio input device, because when I use Windows 10's default Voice Recorder application, it successfully records whatever music I'm currently listening to on the headset:

And then when I disable the "Stereo Mix", the system does not detect my Headset Boom Mic:

The same result happens when I try to plug the headset into the front audio jack of the NUC, with my microphone attached to the headset, through a splitter cable (1 x 3.5mm female to 2 x 3.5mm male, headphone + mic separate lines). The headphone stereo audio out still works when using the individual headphone audio splitter cable. But the microphone is not detected when I plug just the splitter's mic jack into the front audio panel of the NUC.

So what can I do to make the headset microphone work?

I have come across similar questions and issues /thread/120108 here and https://www.reddit.com/r/intelnuc/comments/5lmplz/help_with_skull_caynon_nuc/ here

but neither of these provide solutions.

Could it be that my BIOS needs updating? The automatic Intel Driver assistant says that my BIOS needs updating. I will try download the latest version now and install it and see what happens. Update: No, a BIOS update did not fix the issue.

Update # 2: Finally, the headset works, but only through a cheap USB sound card that I have which looks roughly like this:

I would still like to know: how can I make the headset work just by plugging the combo, 4-strip 3.5mm jack of the headset into the combo front audio panel of my Intel NUC?

Message was edited by: Ivan Mouraviev

0 Kudos
21 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello Ivan,

When inserting the boom, align the notches on the boom jack and port. The microphone will not work if the boom is inserted incorrectly. Seed this guide on page 3: https://www.plantronics.com/content/dam/plantronics/documents-and-guides/en/user-guides/rig-400-ug.p... https://www.plantronics.com/content/dam/plantronics/documents-and-guides/en/user-guides/rig-400-ug.p...

Leon

idata
Community Manager

Hello, inzru.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reach the Intel® Communities Team.

I was monitoring this thread and I agree with the troubleshooting step provided by lw1948, where you able to perform it?

Antony S.
IMour2
Beginner

Hi Antony,

Thanks very much for your reply.

Yes, I checked the positioning of my boom mic and it is correctly inserted, but still is not detected by the machine when I plug the headset's 3.5mm jack directly into the NUC's front panel.

The USB sound card method is still working successfully though.

What are your thoughts on how this issue could be solved? It seems to be relatively common?

idata
Community Manager

Hello, inzru.

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

In this case, I would like to recreate this issue at our labs. For me to achieve so, please runt the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91... Intel® System Support Utility and attach the .txt file that the tool will generate. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

Antony S.
idata
Community Manager

Hello, inzru.

I would like to know if you still need assistance regarding this issue.

Antony S.
IMour2
Beginner

Hi Antony,

Yes I would still like help. Thanks for your reply. I'm very busy these days but will get around to running the utility thing ASAP.

Best,

Ivan

idata
Community Manager

Hello, izru.

I would like to know if you will be able to provide me with the information requested so I can recreate this issue at our labs.

Antony S.
IMour2
Beginner

here it is!

idata
Community Manager

Hello, inzru.

Thank you very much for that information. I will proceed to recreate this issue as previously mentioned. Once I have an update I will definitely let you know.

Antony S.
idata
Community Manager

Hello, inzru.

Thank you very much for your patience. I have recreated your issue at our labs, these are the steps I performed:
  1. Install Windows* 10 16299 on an Intel® NUC6i7KYK.
  2. Install the latest BIOS (0053) version using the F7 method.
  3. Manually install the Realtek Audio drivers.
  4. Test several Headsets with the 3.5m jack

After performing those steps the NUC was able to identify all the headsets connected to it and I was able to use them normally.

At this point, I would recommend you to update your BIOS to the 0053 version. In order to achieve so, please click https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27614/eng/KY0053.bio here to download the .bio file and use https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005850/mini-pcs.html this guide in order to complete the installation.

Additionally, please manually install the latest Realtek* High Definition Audio Driver by following these steps:
  1. Click https://downloadmirror.intel.com/26329/eng/AUD_Win7_8.1_10_6.0.1.7982.zip here to download the Audio drivers.
  2. Unzip the file.
  3. Open the Drivers file and click on the setup.exe
  4. Complete the requested steps and restart your system.
Please find attached to this thread a screenshot of how your Device Manager should be after all these steps.

Antony S.
idata
Community Manager

Here is the Device Manager screenshot.

Antony S.
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello Antony,

" 1. Test several Headsets with the 3.5m jack " Did you test also with Plantronics RIG400 headset?

Leon

idata
Community Manager

Hello, lw1948.

No, we do not have this specific headset model available in our lab.

Antony S.
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello Antony,

In this case your statement "I have recreated your issue at our labs" is inaccurate. We all know that that NUC6i7KYK normally recognizes headset. The question was about the Plantronics headset.

Regards Leon

idata
Community Manager

Thank you very much for your reply, lw1948.

I appreciate that feedback, I will escalate the case to a different level of support to double check if is possible to test the NUC using the same headset.

inzru: In the meantime, please try the troubleshooting steps I provided above.

Antony S.
idata
Community Manager

Hello, inzru.

In order for us to continue researching, I would like to know if you are having this same issue with another(s) devices with a jack 3.5.

Antony S.
IMour2
Beginner

Hi Antony,

Thanks for your continued work on this issue.

I am currently overseas and will be home on the 21st to attempt the drivers reinstall and update etc as you have instructed.

Also, I do not own any other headset that has a combo microphone + headphones plugging via a single 3.5mm Jack. I will try to borrow one from a friend so I can test the issue.

What I can confirm is that my regular pair of sennheiser hd25 headphones (with no combo microphone and 3.5mm Jack) does work correctly when inserted into the front panel of my NUC6i7KYK.

Best,

Ivan

IMour2
Beginner

At this point I suspect there may some strange clash between Plantronics hardware and Intel hardware in my NUC, or my particular headset just has a weird fault...

LeonWaksman
Super User

Please try your Plantronics headset on other computer (friend's computer?). If it works on other computer there we may be sure that is some problem of compatibility with NUC.

Leon

idata
Community Manager

Hello, inzru.

We were unable to test the NUC with the exact same model of headset you have. We used the Plantronics* Blackwire 300 DA and it worked fine with the unit.

I would like to mention that in this headset model (RIG 400) the microphone is discrete and, that may cause some difficulties with the system recognizing and providing enough power. I would like to know if the device is recognized correctly:
  1. When you connect the Headset to the front panel 3.5mm jack the Realtek* HD Audio Manager window should pop up showing the following question: "Which device did you plug in?
  2. Make sure that the Headset option is checked and the 'Auto popup dialog when a device has been plugged in' is enabled, click OK. that will help the system to recognize headset together with the mic.
  3. Set required Microphone settings.

Please find a screenshot attached to this post of how the pop up should appear.

Antony S.