Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ANara7
Beginner

NUC 717BNH Keeps Going to Sleep and Restarting; BIOS Update Keeps Failing; Solutions?

Hi,

So I have a NUC717BNH running Windows 10 Home. My OS is on an SSD while all my data is on a standard 2.5" SATA drive. While the NUC is noisy and runs hot (as I expected), it has been behaving a bit strangely and goes to sleep randomly, sometimes waking up immediately. There is no warning or anything. This happens at least once a day, sometimes several times.

I saw on one of these threads that I should update my BIOS, but every time I run the installer it says installation failed and gives the error "specified account already exists". I cleaned up my registry using CCleaner but to no avail. I read somewhere that this may be because the earlier version may not have uninstalled fully, but I can't seem to find the relevant registry files using regedit to delete. Furthermore, microsoft's troubleshooter tool to fix installation files isn't finding any problems.

Please let me know what I could do? Thanks in advance,

Amay

P.S. Attaching my "detailed system report" generated by Intel's driver updating tool

0 Kudos
1 Reply
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello,

1. Instead of update bios using Intel Driver & Support Assistant, please update your bios using F7 method: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005724/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards.ht... F7 BIOS Flash Update Instructions for Intel® Desktop Boards

2. For NUC7i7BNH download BN0071.bio file: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28322/BIOS-Update-BNKBL357-86A-?product=95065 Download BIOS Update [BNKBL357.86A]

3. Save bios file on USB stick formatted to FAT32

4. Plug the USB device into a USB port of the target computer.

5. Shut down the target computer.

6. During boot, when the F7 prompt is displayed, press F7 to enter the BIOS Flash Update tool.

7. Select the USB device and press Enter.

8. After Bios update is completed, enter bios by pressing F2 during boot.

9. Press F9 followed by "Y", to set bios default settings.

10. Press F10 confirmed by "Y" to save default settings and exit to Windows.

11. Now if you require, you may enter bios again and change specific bios settings.

Leon