Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC 7I5BNK some applications and drivers crashes

I have following hardware

INTEL NUC BOXNUC7i5BNK

RAM - CRUCIAL CT16G4SFD8213 DDR4

SSD - OCZ Toshiba RVD400-M22280-256G 256Гб, M.2 2280, PCI-E x4

Window 10 64bit with the latest updates. Check with sfc on no issues.

All Intel drivers and firmware - latest versions from the site.

All tests I've tried (Memtest, Futuremark, Passmark, Intel's test I found here) passes with no errors.

However when I run certain applications, they crashed with no warnings or error messages. I just can see in windows journal following error 0xc0000005.

To be more specific - I have constant error with printer driver (Xerox 6000B), this drivers operates with no error on my other PC, but fail on NUC. Also there is a device in the list and I could print from some application (Adobe Acrobat), but could not print from Microsoft Office. Xerox applications which are available with driver could not recognise printer at all with message like "no printer installed"

I can not play CS:GO which also stops with the same error. It also work on my PC with windows 10.

My first guess was about issues with RAM so I found one which is on hardware compatibility list - hynix ddr4 hma451s6afr8n-tf no ab 2133. Unfortunately it did not solve the issue.

Been tired of all the issues for two months I have final went to store where I bought NUC and they took it for diagnostics which lasted for 17 days.... After all they concluded on issues and replaced my NUC with new one. That was good. The bad thing is that it does not solve the problem. I still have the same issues with same applications.

Any thoughts how to solve them ?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

My instincts say redo your O/S install completely from scratch. This is looking like a software-level issue, not a hardware-level issue.

I haven't the time to go do this for you, but I remember there being a report similar to this a year or two back. It was with a different NUC, obviously, but the symptoms were close enough that it sparked my memory. I suggest that you go search for that report and see what its resolution was...

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you for your response. I missed it in my initial message. Windows 10 was re-installed 4-5 times completely with deletion of partitions on SSD and formatting. Last time I install it after I received new NUC. As of a similar topic here I've done my best it search before creating new discussion, but have not found anything similar.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

After an hour of searching, I found the other report. Like your case, replacing the NUC did not alleviate the problem. Unfortunately, that report discussion petered out without a resolution reported (user stopped responding). I am at a loss to explain what is going on. One question: what version of Windows 10 do you have installed? Is it the latest Fall Creator's Update (1709)? There were some issues in Windows 10 fixed in this update, especially some strange failures caused by bugs in their USB subsystem...

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Yes, I have latest Windows 10 with all available updates installed. Could you please provide me a link to the post with the same issues?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

A bit more information:

Printer install with name "null". Is it ok ?

Also there is a huge list of system devices with strange names:

Any ideas on how to solve this issue ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

No, I believe this just means that its initial configuration had no INF file or driver file assigned. It's what is in place when the device installed that is important.

The list of System Device names is perfectly fine and what I would expect to see.

I tried to find that other conversation again but could not. I should have kept a link when I found it the other day...

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Any ideas how to solve this issue ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I am not sure what else to suggest. I guess the ICS folks (intel_corp) will need to step in here and look into this issue...

Sorry,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello NewNucUser

I am looking into your case could you please provide us with the following information on the case

What other applications present the error besides CS:GO?

What is the network environment? (Wired or wireless)

Is the printer weird or wireless?

Does the error happen if you enter Windows* in safe mode?

Could you provide us with a Windows® log of the error? This following link can help you with that

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-setup-log-files-and-ev... https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-setup-log-files-and-ev...

Could you provide us with the Intel® System Support Utility for Windows* report? Please attach the result to the thread

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Could you run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool? Please attach the result to the thread

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Please find the responses below

What other applications present the error besides CS:GO? - Word, Excel

What is the network environment? (Wired or wireless) - Mainly wireless, but I tried wired connection as well

Is the printer weird or wireless? - USB connected

Does the error happen if you enter Windows* in safe mode? - will try and respond later

Could you provide us with a Windows® log of the error? as example see Reporter.wer in attachment 

Could you provide us with the Intel® System Support Utility for Windows* report? Please attach the result to the thread please find SSU.txt in attachment

Could you run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool? Please attach the result to the thread IPDT_TESTRESULTS.TXT

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello NewNucUser

Thank you for your response and the information provided

Please let me know the outcome when you tried to enter the OS in safe mode

In addition, looking into the error 0xc0000005 seems that the RAM memory could be causing the error

Please try to boot the NUC with only one memory at the time plug-in into the DIM 1 (the closest to the motherboard) or if the system is currently using only one RAM memory use another memory comparable with the NUC to boot the system.

Please let me know the outcome.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I've tried to use both RAM modules separately and simultaneously. Issues appear in any variant. The tests above were made using only one module installed in slot 1.

As of the Safe Mode I cannot repeat usual steps to repeat an error as drivers for network are not loaded (to play game) and Office application can not print

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello NewNucUser

Thank you for your response,

Allowed me to share with you that at this point I can think of two options:

Test the NUC with a different set of RAM memory

Or the memory dimm slots on the NUC could be damaged

Could you please check your private inbox

Regards

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I had RAM which I bought with NUC. Later I bought another one which I do not need just for test purpose, but I do not want to spend my money in buying new and new RAM. Especially when second RAM which I bought is in compatibility list.

I have responded to your question in private box

0 Kudos