Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.

NUC 7i5DNB

Trev427
Beginner
I was given a NUC 7i5 that seemed dead, no standby LED and not booting. Owner said it had gotten really hot then shut down. I cleaned it and inspected for obvious shorts or burned components. The cooler was pretty dusty and I cleaned it, reinstalling with MX4 on the CPU and Arctic thermal pad on the GPU. When I put power on it, still no boot but I noticed the cooler was getting warm. I pulled power, and removed the cooler. After it had cooled down, I used my FLIR to find the hot spot and it is the GPU. Within just a few seconds it hit close to 200° F. I suspect when it overheated that it melted some of the BGA under the CPU/GPU package. Is this something that can be repaired or should I just eWaste it?
Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

There's really no support for repairing failed or damaged units. Intel considers the design to be IP and does not distribute it externally. Perhaps the right-to-repair court cases will change their tune - but not in time for this unit.

Sorry,

...S