Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JBreh
Beginner

NUC 7i7 Devices plugged into USB-C port not recognized

I have

• a camera (IDS UI-3131LE) with a USB-C port and
  • a NUC 7i7BNH with a USB-C port running Ubuntu 16.04 (kernel version 4.10.0-40). EDIT: Also tested with Windows 10, same results.

Seems like a perfect match, but the camera is not being recognized when connected to the PC's USB-C port. It only gets power.

It seems the USB-C port does not work at all.

What I've tried so far:

• updated BIOS
  • turned Thunderbolt both off and on in BIOS
  • both disabled and enabled USB Legacy support in BIOS
  • connected a phone to the USB-C port: it only charges
  • confirmed that the two USB-C cables I am using work in another setup
  • connected the camera to a regular USB port on the NUC (with a USB-C to regular USB cable): works.

/var/log/kern.log says:

Nov 30 14:51:47 D2330 kernel: [ 1558.558892] usb 2-1: new SuperSpeed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd

Nov 30 14:51:47 D2330 kernel: [ 1558.580601] usb 2-1: New USB device found, idVendor=1409, idProduct=3130

Nov 30 14:51:47 D2330 kernel: [ 1558.580608] usb 2-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0

Nov 30 14:51:47 D2330 kernel: [ 1558.580612] usb 2-1: Product: USB 3.0 Camera

Nov 30 14:51:47 D2330 kernel: [ 1558.580616] usb 2-1: Manufacturer: Camera Manufacturer

Nothing shows up there when connecting to USB-C though. (same with sudo dmesg)

The only thing lspci -k states about USB is:

00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP USB 3.0 xHCI Controller (rev 21)

Subsystem: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP USB 3.0 xHCI Controller

Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd

I don't know if this includes drivers for USB-C.

How can I get my USB-C port working?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Has Linux even been updated to support Thunderbolt-enabled USB-C ports?

You need to be looking for this information on the Ubuntu and Linux sites; only Windows support is provided here.

...S

JBreh
Beginner

OK, so I have finally managed to test the port with Windows 10.

Same problem: The camera is not being recognized when connected to the USB-C port, but works fine on the other ports.

Is this USB-C port actually supposed to work? Or is it maybe just some kind of USB-C shaped DisplayPort?

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

It is a Thunderbolt port. It is supposed to support all USB 3.0/3.1 devices, however. ICS will need to escalate this issue to the development team...

...S

JBreh
Beginner

Any news on this?

MMode
Beginner

Would be nice to find out more about this problem.I have the same problem lspci -tv does not show any usb 3.1 controller on my nuc7i3. I tried Intel Clear Linux with no success. would be nice to find out more about this problem.

STock
Beginner

I wanted to use the USB-C port on my NUC 7i3BN for an external HDD and it saw the device ok, but only after disconnecting and reconnecting the drive. In other words, you can't just power on the external HDD and have the NUC recognize it, the external drive must be powered on then connected to the port. This is inconvenient since the port is on the back of the unit.