Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC 7i7BNH + 32 Ram + 32 Intel Optane Cache + Samsung 850 EVO SSD + windows 10 pro = Freezes, but mouse moves and monitor reconnect unfreezes.

Set it up with :

- https://www.alza.cz/intel-optane-ram-32gb-d4845365.htm Intel Optane Memory 32GB M.2 80MM

- Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

- 2 x Crucial SO-DIMM 16GB DDR4 2133MHz CL15 Dual Ranked ...

Then realized that it is not compatible and replaced it with :

- 2 x Crucial SO-DIMM 16GB DDR4 2400MHz CL17 Dual Ranked (it is mentioned as compatible on crucial site)

Everything including BIOS is updated to latest possible version.

Very often the screen freezes, but mouse moves.

Same happens with 1 monitor setup on USB-C or HDMI

or with both monitors connected.

Tried with no luck:

-Disabled Intel optane cache...

-Removed optane stick

-Removed logitech unify dongle

-Removed audio jack

-Removed USB Keybouard / mouse

-Reinstalled system

-SATA mode i AHCI and RAID

-3D mark test passed ok

-Intell processor test passed (after changing ram had to tweak the cooling in bios a bit so GPU does not overheat)

INTERESTING FACT: When it freezes, disconnecting all monitors and connecting back unfreezes the computer. Also if you click around when frozen the computer beeps but nothing changes. After the computer is unfrozen you see changes to the OS like start menu opened or whatever you hit when clicking in frozen mode.

Please advise.

P.s. This is my second attempt with NUC ... i returned 7i6BNH because it was not stable and overheating .... I really hope for this NUC not to be my last one, since i like the form factor a lot.

P.P.S. Reinstalled windows yesterday, after setting SATA from raid to AHCI, result the same. All drivers are latest from the intel site.

System report attached

Thank you
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello termax,

I understand that you are currently experiencing freezing problems with your NUC unit.

Regarding this, To better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

4. Attach the report to this thread.

Also, I would like you to download the ".zip" file from the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27680/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?produc... https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27680/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?produc...

After doing so, please follow these steps to update the driver, this is for testing purposes:

1 - Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.

2 - Right-click Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.

3 - Click Yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control.

4 - Expand the Display adapters section.

5 - Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.

6 - Click "Browse my computer for driver software".

7 - Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

8 - Click "Have Disk".

9 - Click "Browse".

10 - Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".

11 - Select the file .INF file (information file).

12 - Click Open, then click OK, and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed.

13 - Reboot your computer

Let me know the outcome.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

DxDiag output

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

intel_corp i followed your instructions, the issue persists. Straight after restart.

attaching DxDiag
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

update: also installed intel driver support assistant and ran a report, everything looks up to date.

report attached.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

update: changed windows GPU settings from balanced to Max Performance, the issue persists.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello termax

Thank you for your response,

I can see that you changed the power settings of the GPU; however, I would like to know if you changed the settings from the power plan of the system.

In order to do this, you must access the settings > system > power & sleep > additional power settings. Over there, make sure to change the power plan to "High Performance", reboot the system and let me know if the issue persists.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Yes it was on "maximum performance" and the issue persists

Set the PCI setting to "maximum performance" too just in case ...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Observation: It mainly happens when windows are switched or moved. Also it used to work with 2 monitors, but now when i connect the second (a usb-c) monitor the gpu freezes: i see the picture on both monitors, mouse moves but impossible to change anything. I have to disconnect it and it returns to normal or i have to disconnect hdmi monitor as well and reconnect it.

So, intel_corp do you have any other suggestions for me to try or should i start considering returning the unit or asking for a replacement ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello termax,

I have sent a private message to you.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you for your reply, intel_corp

After increasing the PCI settings to maximum as well the freezing has stopped.

There was a windows update as well so i don't know what to credit for that.

I would need some more time for tests like returning one setting back at a time to original setting and seeing if it will cause the freezes or not.

Unfortunately i don't have a lot of time at the moment, since i already wasted a lot of time on this and am just pretty happy that it works. Will try to do that in a week or two.

What bothers me though is whether this device is supposed to have all those settings set to maximum. The energy consumption has risen and the device is almost constantly on high cooler speeds. So what i would like to know is whether we have found a fix to the problem and everything is as it should be or did we make some temporary adjustment that are making the faulty device work ? I need to understand this in order to make a decision whether to keep the device or ask for replacement. Thank you.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello termax,

I am glad to know that the freezing has stopped.

When the system is increased to maximum then the devices will run at a higher temperature, thus increasing the cooler speeds. What you could try to do to see if it alleviates the problem a little is to change the power options of the system back to "Balanced", so that the processor does not run at the highest frequency all the time and so that it also reduces power consumption.

Please let me know the outcome of your testings.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello termax,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos