Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iandouglas
Beginner

NUC 8 i7 HVK, 5-second lag after updating several drivers/apps

I used the intel driver update scan which found a number of audio/networking/video/etc driver updates, I installed them all and have rebooted several times in that process. Now when my Windows 10 system runs, I get a weird lag every 5 seconds which lasts for maybe half a second. I only noticed it once everything was installed, so I'm not sure which driver/app update caused it. How do I diagnose where it's coming from and stop it?

Windows 10 Home, 1903 build

Specific list of things I installed/updated, in no particular order:

BIOS update

Intel Driver & Support Assistant

Intel Serial IO

Intel graphics driver

Intell Graphics Command Center

Intel Computing Improvement Program

Intel Network Connections

AMD Radeon drivers

BayHubTech flash memory card driver

0 Kudos
11 Replies
AlHill
Super User

My NUC8i7HVK is 100% up-to-date with bios, intel drivers (from IDSA), latest DCH driver, and W10 Pro 1903, and no lags are present.

What version of W10 are you running? 1903?

Doc

iandouglas
Beginner

I'm on Windows 10 Home, 1903 build plus every available update.

The support assistant says there's an update available for the Intel® Management Engine Interface but errors out trying to install with no reason why. (update: I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and it was fine)

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

As well, make sure you are running the latest available BIOS.

...S

iandouglas
Beginner

Yes, I updated the BIOS as well and lag is still present

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello iandouglas,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

Please provide me with an System Support Utility report, this report can be generated from our tool, you can refer to the link below so you can download it: 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Make sure to attach the created report to this thread.

If possible, try uninstalling the Intel Computing Improvement Program, restart the system and check if the lag is still present. Is this "lag" happening right after booting into Windows? Or is it triggered by any application opened upon booting, in other words, when you are able to see your desktop in Windows, is the lag present from the start? 

Let me know so I can assist you further.

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

iandouglas
Beginner

I went back to a Windows restore point before installing everything and narrowed down that it was the Intel-provided Vega graphics drivers. The system would start to lag as those were installed and continued to lag until the newer driver was removed. I installed even newer drivers direct from AMD and the lag is gone.

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello iandouglas,

Thank you for your response.

I would like to test this on-site to see if the issue is replicated. Exactly how did the lag affect the system, I would like to know if it was some sort of freezing or perhaps the system would run slower than normal for 5 seconds. 

Also, I will need to check some information about your system. Please follow these steps: 

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R. 

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop). 

4. Attach the report to this thread. 

Let me know so I can test it.

David V

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello iandouglas,

Were you able to check my previous post? 

Please provide me with the information requested so I can test this on-site.

David V

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello iandouglas,

Please contact us if you have any additional questions.

David V

iandouglas
Beginner

Yes, I did see your message, but honestly I had to move on. The system was unusable with that lag every 5 seconds. I couldn't do work, I couldn't enjoy leisure browsing, watching movies, etc..

I installed drivers directly from AMD, and the system is just fine. Their driver version was quite a bit newer than the driver pack that Intel was trying to download.

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello iandouglas,

Thank you for your response.

I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with the feedback of using the other drivers. Let's hope other community members experiencing similar issues find this information useful.

David V