Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC 8i3beh no video over HDMI

I got the NUC a few days ago. In the beginning everything was ok. But yesterday I noticed that when connected to the HDMI the monitor wasn't able to find a signal and was switching to power saving mode. Tried several other monitors and the result was the same. Restarting and changing cables, switching ports was also unsuccessful. It's like there is absolutely no signal, because I can't even see the NUC logo after restart. The only solution for me so far was to use the thunderbolt port. However all this is very strange because there were no issues at first. Today I updated the graphics drivers - situation is still the same. OS is Windows 10 Education.

0 Kudos
27 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

1. Did the failure occured after trying to update bios?
  2. Did you change some Video settings in Bios?

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Third question: Did Windows Update automatically, or you manually, update the Graphics driver?

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

1. I didn't update the bios. I think it is the latest version.
  2. None at all
  3. After I lost signal over HDMI I updated the Graphics driver manually with Intel Driver & Support Assistant
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello KYana2, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. To better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps: 1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R. 2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter. 3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop). 4. Attach the report to this thread. Also, please try using a different HDMI cable as well as a different HDMI display (Tv, monitor, etc). This is so we can see if the problem happens in multiple displays no matter the cable. Let me know please. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello KYana2, Were you able to check my post? Please provide me with the information requested as well as the results of trying a different HDMI cable. Let me know so I can assist you further. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Sorry but I had to login using different username, it seems that I can't get redirected properly. However here is the log you asked for. Using other HDMI cables had no effect on the issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi @KYana4​ ,

Download and update your Bios. You have now version 0051 installed, please download new version 0071 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28801/BIOS-Update-BECFL357-86A-?product=126150 . For Bios update use the Bios recovery method from Power Button Menu:

• Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 (disable quick format option during format). Format your USB on Windows machine (rather than Linux or MAC). Save the Bios file BE0071.bio on this stick and insert it into front USB slot with amber color (NUC shall be OFF).
    • Press Power Button for about 3 seconds. Count 1001, 1002, 1003,1004. Release the Power Button. NUC should reboot into Power Button Menu. You should release the Power Button before 4-sec shut down override.
    • Press F4 and the recovery shall start (it can take up to 30 seconds for messages to appear on the screen).
    • When the recovery finishes, press on Power Button and hold it, until NUC switches OFF. Pull out the power cord. Remove the USB stick.
    • Replace the power cord and press Power Button to switch the computer to ON.
    • Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.
    • Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.
    • If before update, you have customized bios settings, you can enter again to Bios setting to change the necessary settings. 
  1. Download the Chipset Device Software, Management Engine Interface Driver and Graphics Driver from Intel Download Center: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/126150/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC8i3BEH
  2. Install the Chipset Driver and Management Engine Interface Driver . Reboot your NUC.
  3. Disconnect your NUC from Internet.
  4. Open Device Manager and uninstall the Intel Graphics Driver. You should see the Microsoft Basic Graphic Driver installed. Reboot your NUC.
  5. Install the Intel Graphics Driver. downloaded from Download Center. Reconnect internet and reboot your NUC.
  6. Check the HDMI functioning.
  7. It is advised to update your Windows from version 1803 to 1809.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello KYana2, Were you able to check the LEONWAKSMAN'S post? Let me know if you need more assistance. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello KYana2, Please contact us if you have any additional questions. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Finally I'am able to login normally. Unfortunately after doing all the things in the list from your previous post the situation is still unchanged. The moment I plug the hdmi cable the monitor goes in to sleep mode and there is no coming back from it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

If you power on the NUC with *only* a monitor connected to the HDMI connector, do you then see BIOS output (POST Splash Screen, etc.) on this monitor?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello KYana2,

Were you able to check N.Scott.Pearson's post?

Let me know if you need more assistance.

Regards,

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello KYana2,

Please contact us if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

If you power on the NUC with *only* a monitor connected to the HDMI connector, do you then see BIOS output (POST Splash Screen, etc.) on this monitor?

No, there is absolutely nothing on the screen

0 Kudos
Highlighted

So you are not seeing a HDMI connection. This could be the result of bad or incompatible cable, incorrect monitor configuration or perhaps a failure in the NUC's HDMI hardware. The only way to know for sure is to try a different monitor with a different HDMI cable. If it acts the same, then you may have to contact Intel Customer Support regarding a warranty replacement of the unit.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I still think this is not a hardware issue because I was able to once get a signal after resetting the BIOS with the jumper. Everything went fine, OS booted and when the monitor went to sleep mode there was no sign of signal. I'll try one more monitor. As for the cables mine is certified for HDMI 1.4 with ethernet . I don't know am I supposed to say the manufacturer's name here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hold on. I am asking specifically about the case where you are powering on. If it is working and then fails after the system sleeps, powering off and powering on should result in it connecting and working again. In this context, by 'working', I mean that the BIOS Splash screen appears.

Another question: are you running the latest available BIOS?

...S

P.S. Regarding your other questions: As long as your monitor (or TV) is not greater than 2K (i.e. 2048 x 1080 pixels), your cable is fine. Anything of higher resolution requires HDMI 2.0 compliant cables, however. Yes, you can mention manufacturer. we are equal-opportunity disparagers 😜

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello KYana2,

Were you able to check N.Scott.Pearson's post?

Let me know if you need more assistance.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello KYana2,

Please contact us if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos