Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pc-soft
Novice

NUC 8i5BEK LED Software Control

In BIOS it is possible to choose SW Control for Button-, Ring- and HDD-LED. I use WMI-Function known from NUC 7ix, but LEDs stay off.

Is there another function for NUC 8i or is this function not implemented?

I liked SW Control very much to show the status of applications running on the NUC.

13 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

pc-soft, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support. In reference to your question, we will do further research to confirm if the there is another WMI-Function for the NUC 8i. As soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
Alberto_R_Intel

pc-soft, I just received an update on this matter. First of all, we recommend to have the latest BIOS version installed, which is 0056: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28394/BIOS-Update-BECFL357-86A-?product=126147 WMI works with the units listed under the "Related Products" list showing in the link below. Use WMI Explorer* to Program the Ring LED and Button LED: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023426/mini-pcs/intel-nuc-kits.html If the problem remains after that, then you can always provide further details/code/commands for us to better assist you or also you can get in contact directly with Microsoft* Developers for additional assistance: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/ Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
pc-soft
Novice

Hello Alberto R,

thank you for your research on my question.

Latest BIOS version is installed and SW-Control for LEDs is selectable.

The bad news for me is mentioned in your second link, it says, that only NUC Kits NUC7i[x]BN and NUC6CAY come with WMI-Explorer.

I hope, it will be implemented in NUC8i[x]BN soon, also. Otherwise I need extra USB-Hardware for signalling SW-States if monitor is off.

Regards,

Peter

Patricia_S_Intel
Employee

Hello pc-soft, Can you answer the following questions so that we can do some more research? 1. Are you performing tests currently on an NUC8i[x]BN, or are you looking for confirmation that a specific unit will support WMI? If you are testing a unit(s) currently: 2. Can you provide the exact model? The SA# on the bottom of the case would tell us the exact model of the Intel® NUC. 3. Which BIOS version are you using? You mentioned that you installed the latest BIOS version, but without knowing the exact model, we cannot confirm the latest BIOS version. 4. Which operating system version/build are you using? 5. Can you provide the parameters you are testing? If you don't want to provide this publicly, you can send the details via Private Message (PM) Hope to hear from you soon, Pat S Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
pc-soft
Novice

Hello patS,

I will try to answer your questions:

>> 1. Are you performing tests currently on an NUC8i[x]BN, or are you looking for confirmation that a specific unit will support WMI?

I got a NUC8i3BEK2 and I performed tests to program the Ring-, Button- and Power-LED with WMI Explorer.

>> 2. Can you provide the exact model?

S/N G6BE85000PHE SA J72742-304

>> 3. Which BIOS version are you using?

BECFL357.86A.0056.2018.1128.1717 11/28/2018

>> 4. Which operating system version/build are you using?

Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (x64) Build 17134.556 (1803/RS4)

>> 5. Can you provide the parameters you are testing?

I got a powershell script to switch ring- and power-led which works on a NUC 7i3BNH. When I tried this script on my 8i3 it says ReturnValue: True, Data: CISD_Package, but LEDs stay off. So I think the unit will support WMI, but only the function for switching LEDs is not working. There is a difference that we have only 2 LEDs in the NUC 7i3BNH and 3 LEDs (Power, HDD and Ring via mainboard connector) in 8i5BEK.

Hope, this will clarify my problem.

Regards

Peter

Patricia_S_Intel
Employee

Hello pc-soft, Thank you for the details provided; these details are exactly what we need. Please allow us a few days to respond while we research this. Regards, Pat S Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
Patricia_S_Intel
Employee

Hello pc-soft, We need to confirm some details with you. Are you using the same script on the Baby Canyon NUC8i[X]BEK that you used for the Bean Canyon NUC8i[X]BNH? Can you provide the exact script you are trying to use with the Baby Canyon so we can try to do some testing? Regards, Pat S Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
pc-soft
Novice

Hello Pat S,

yes, I used the same script on the Baby Canyon NUC7i[X]BEK and for the Bean Canyon NUC8i[X]BNH.

$lookup = @{ '0%' = 0 '1%' = 0x100 '5%' = 0x500 '10%' = 0xa00 '25%' = 0x1900 '50%' = 0x3200 '75%' = 0x4b00 '100%' = 0x6400   "On" = 0x40000 "1Hz blink" = 0x10000 "0.5Hz blink" = 0x50000 "0.25Hz blink" = 0x20000 "1Hz fade" = 0x30000 "0.5Hz fade" = 0x70000 "0.25Hz fade" = 0x60000   Disable = 0 Cyan = 0x1000000 Pink = 0x2000000 Yellow = 0x3000000 Blue = 0x4000000 Red = 0x5000000 Green = 0x6000000 White = 0x7000000 }   $inpb = @(0x2, 0x0, 0x40000, 0x0)   $inpb[1] = "0%", "1%", "5%", "10%", "25%", "50%", "75%", "100%" | Out-GridView -PassThru -Title "choose brighness" $inpb[1] = $lookup[$inpb[1]]   $inpb[2] = "On", "1Hz blink", "0.5Hz blink", "0.25Hz blink", "1Hz fade", "0.5Hz fade", "0.25Hz fade" | Out-GridView -PassThru -Title "choose blink/fade state" $inpb[2] = $lookup[$inpb[2]]   $inpb[3] = "Disable", "Cyan", "Pink", "Yellow", "Blue", "Red", "Green", "White" | Out-GridView -PassThru -Title "choose color" $inpb[3] = $lookup[$inpb[3]]   $cmd = [uint32]($inpb[0] + $inpb[1] + $inpb[2] + $inpb[3])   $led = Get-CimInstance cisd_wmi -Namespace "root\wmi" Invoke-CimMethod -InputObject $led -MethodName setState -Arguments @{cmd=$cmd}

This script works on Baby Canyon NUC7i3BEK with admistrative rights.

Regards,

Peter

Patricia_S_Intel
Employee

Hello Peter, Thanks for the details. The script for the Baby Canyon NUC7i[X]BEK will not work for the Bean Canyon NUC8i[X]BNH since it has 3 LEDs and the Baby has 2 LEDs. We really do not support WMI at this level, but let me see if I can try to get the correct script for the Bean Canyon. Please allow me a few days to get back to you. Regards, Pat S Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
Patricia_S_Intel
Employee

Hello Peter, We are working on this but it may take us a couple of weeks, just to give you the heads up. Regards, Pat S Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
GothAck
Beginner

Been trying to get this working myself, does the windows software successfully control the LEDs on this machine? I don't have a windows install to test this out with at the moment...

pc-soft
Novice

No.

Look at the answer from PatS_Intel right in front of your question.

GothAck
Beginner

My bad, I misread the previous reply.

I started digging into the decompiled ACPI tables, looks like the led control function was not completed and never wired up to the WMI method. I've started reverse engineering the memory location that the function should be controlling and have started on a Linux driver https://github.com/GothAck/nuc8_beh_led_linux