Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12528 Discussions

NUC 9 Extreme BSOD on Startup

DavidGreen7
Beginner

Hi Team,

I have been getting frequent BSOD on the device, it is only a couple of weeks into use…

Most appear at random, with a variety of reasons; Critical Process Stop, WHEA uncorrectable error, etc.

As the computer is so new, I have installed very little on it, and certainly nothing was not present on my previous computer.

This morning's error was the most unexpected as it occurred during Windows start-up. After the BIOS "skull" and menu appeared, the ring of dots failed to appear, the screen stayed blank by lit until the BSOD appeared, prior to the Windows Sign-on screen.

This time it was;
Stop code KERNAL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
What failed: win32kbase.sys

The NUC PC has never rebooted itself after a BSOD, despite the statement on the BSOD, all I see is "bootable device not detected". A forced power-down is always required.

The only entry I could see in the Event log was after the PC had booted up successfully, and a report of an unexpected shutdown.

Any ideas or suggestions?

0 Kudos
19 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

This feels like an issue with DRAM. Have you any alternative SODIMMs that you could try? If not, try running the Windows memory diagnostic or (*much* better) MemTest86/MemTest86+.

...S

DavidGreen7
Beginner

Hi Scott,

Ironically, when I opened the email about the notification of your response, I got another BSOD, but that was a "CRITCAL_PROCESS_DIED" Stop code.

But I did run the Memory diagnostic as you suggested, the Windows one, I wanted to get a quick response, the MemTest86 scenario would required acquisition of hardware, and research into building a USB bootable drive to house the utility.

The results slow to obtain and were as expected; Nothing to report

Windows test result messageWindows test result message

… and no, I do have any alternate memory modules to swap in.

/David…

Jocelyn_Intel

Hello, @DavidGreen7

I am sorry to hear about what is happening to your processor. 

If I may jump here, this error "bootable device not detected" is related to drive issues, you can check this article which talks about it. Is there any chance you try another drive or test your current drive on another known-working computer? 

Also, I would like to recommend you try the following steps: 

1. Remove and reinstall the memory modules and drive. 
  2. Try moving the memory module from one slot to the other. 
  3. Make sure your NUC doesn't overheat, if it does, please let us know. 
  4. Make sure that your BIOS version and drivers are up to date. 
  5. Make sure you have all the Windows updates.
  6. Verify the power adapter works fine and try another if possible. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

DavidGreen7
Beginner

Hi Jocelyn,

Thanks for "jumping in"

It would appear that the computer, according to your "Driver Support Assistant", is 'up to Date'.Status.png

Excepting some wireless connectivity drivers.

Bluetooth.png

I've run the Bluetooth install several times, but this advise persists.

Wifi.png

and this Wifi(?) driver attempts, run into a "Repair" request, and then without further messages, persists as well.

I will attempt to swap the RAM as suggested. and Reseat the NVME SSD drives, I can't swap them or memory with others as this computer is the only one of its class available to me. My previous computer was on a different class altogether.

As for heating, I rarely hear the cooling fans running, as the CPU spends most of its time at under 15%. During application compilation, that changes considerably, as expected. That's why I bought this computer, I wanted compile time is seconds, not minutes.

For context, if it throws any light on the situation, the first week or so there was no problem, but when BSOD started making an appearance, without any significant software updates that I can attribute, I suspected it was a video issue.
I was running 2 screens, one via the inbuilt HDMI connection, the other through a USB-C to VGA device.
I swapped the 2nd screen to a USB-3 attached DVI connection, but that made no difference.
Once I removed the 2nd screen, and I am getting into the habit of tapping the "Sleep" key on my keyboard when I leave the computer for a while, the frequency has dropped.
Yesterday, the screen was replaced by a single wide (3440px) screen to act for the 2×1920px screens.

I have only had 2 BSOD since pulling the 2nd screen, the opening post, and a CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED a few hours later, but nothing since… yet…

I'll update after reseating the memory modules, and there is another failure, or if something else comes to light.

Thanks

DavidGreen7
Beginner

I had another BSOD, after POST, during pre-login Windows OS loading stage.

This time it was Stop code MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

I opened up the computer and saw that the NVME drives and Memory modules appeared to be seated correctly, but I pulled them all and put them back again, eventually having failed to put one back properly so the computer would not start, but sat there blinking its power light at me

It is back, and running as it did yesterday…

I'll have to see how it goes over the next day or so to see if there have been any significant results to this morning's activities.

Steven_Intel

Many thanks for your response and information provided.

Please let us know if there is any different result or behavior after the steps you have previously taken.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

DavidGreen7
Beginner

After a few hours of normal use, after reseating the memory (RAM & SSD) modules, the PC apparently went to sleep, but afterwards, it would not wake up. After recycling the computer, it repeatedly Stop with a WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR after only a few minutes of operation. Even Windows "Safe Mode" was not immune to the System Stop; no BSOD, it would just freeze. After *many* restarts, an 11th hour back up of the previous hours' data was managed to be backed up.

An attempt was made to re-install Windows over the boot drive, but the installation failed with an error message that I could not record before the computer turned itself off. On subsequent attempts to re-install Windows was refused by the installer on the basis of not being able to "initialise the deployment engine".

After my previous computer was restored to its former position, I received an email from the company that sold me the NUC, assembled and ready to use, asked for it back to look into the issues.

I, obviously, have no idea how long it will take for them to evaluate the situation, but I advised them what I had posted here, and will update again when the PC is returned to me.

Thanks.

DeividA_Intel

Hello DavidGreen7, 

Thanks for the update. I am sorry to know that issues with the BSOD persisted after the step that you have taken.

I will be waiting for the outcome of the place of purchase, however, if you have tested with a different RAM and SSD as well as a clean install of the operating system, you may need to check the warranty options with the place of purchase.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

DavidGreen7
Beginner

Hi Intel Team,

I just got an email from the shipping company to advise that the supplier has received the computer. As it was only a couple of weeks old when these issues started occurring, I would be expecting this to be covered by their warranty at the very least.

I suspect it will be a few days of testing, where they will exchange RAM & NVME drives to check for issues.

I will advise, when they, in turn, update me.

regards,
David…

Steven_Intel

Many thanks for your response.

Please let me know as soon as you have an update from them.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Steven_Intel

We would like to know if you have any update yet.

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Steven G.

DavidGreen7
Beginner

Hi Team,

Last update on 4 Jan @ 1pm, was that it was in the queue for testing and analysis.

There has been no update on the status of tests.

regards,
David…

Steven_Intel

Many thanks for your response.

Hopefully you will get an update on it soon. We will keep following up within the next few days.

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Best regards,

Steven G.

DavidGreen7
Beginner

Hi Team,

Today I got an response from the testing centre of the company I bought the NUC from.

They advise that the Boot NVMe SSD is quite faulty, reporting "bad sectors". They advise that the Windows OS code was becoming corrupted from such storage areas, which executes poorly. Obviously.

The computer boot from their own SSD. And the original SSD cause their TB computer to fail. They are apparently unable to complete the SSD testing without gross failure. Sounds like the SSD is degrading as time passes.

They are still in the process of doing a thorough test of (volatile) Memory, but even I'm not expecting any problems in that domain.

I expect that their testing should be complete soon and returned with replacement NVMe SSDs.

regards,
David…

Steven_Intel

Thank you for the update.

I am glad to know they have finally tested the SSDs and are close to solve this situation.

Please let me know once they provide an update about the RAM or once they send the replacement units to you.

Best regards,

Steven G.

DavidGreen7
Beginner

Hi Steven,

The memory was tested, and was fine. They provided images (attached) of the test results.

The SSD was failing so badly, the tests apparently, would not complete.

The PC will be returned with new SSDs, although only one had failed, I had both replaced as upgrades from "Silicon Power" brand to "Samsung" which was recommended.

The surprising aspect of this issue, I noticed, was how the SSD apparently degraded exponentially over time.
Understandably, loading OS code from corrupting storage may lead to runtime failures.

Steven_Intel

Thank you for all the information provided.

Based on the steps taken so far, would you like to wait until you receive the unit in order to confirm the issue is now solved, or would you consider it already as solved and therefore proceed to close this thread?

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Best regards,

Steven G.

DavidGreen7
Beginner

The ticket can be closed.

Since an identifiable hardware fault was discovered, relevant hardware replaced, and subsequent tests allude to a viable system.

If the system dies again after a few weeks, I certainly hope not, then a new ticket can be raised, and reference to this ticket can be made.

So, I consider it solved.

Thanks & regards,
David…

Steven_Intel

Many thanks for your confirmation.

I am glad this issue has been corrected. Since the thread is now solved, I will proceed to close it.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.  

Best regards,

Steven G.