Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

11308 Discussions

NUC 9 Extreme: What should be in the box? / Fan cover installation

Christph
Beginner

Hi, my i9 NUC 9 Extreme Kit (NUC9i9QNX) has arrived a couple of days ago. I've equipped it with an RTX 2070 GPU, a 2TB SSD and 32GB of RAM. Everything is running fine so far. However, there are indications that I might have received a used or refurbished device, and I'd like to ask for your help to clarify this. These are the things that irritate me:

• The accessory compartment was completely empty except for a small Intel sticker and an SSD spacer bolt. I'd expected a power cord and that cool keyring style UV flashlight that makes the skull logo on the transport box glow blue and red. Or was this just an eater egg for review units?
  • I've found a note in the manual (page 20) that the power cord might not be included in case of units with the "...QNX" product code. Does that product code found on the box read "...QNX1/2/3" for US/EU/UK devices or is it always the same "...QNX", without any number attached?
  • When installing SSD and RAM, I've noticed that there were no protective films on the SSD thermal pads in the cover of the compute unit. Is that normal? In all the review videos I've seen, there were blue peel-off sheets on the pads.

And an unrelated question:
I'm having a really hard time sliding back the fan cover of my unit. It won't move as smoothly as seen in the review videos but needs a lot of wiggling and pulling to come loose. And during installation, it also requires quite a lot of force to make it snap properly into the two plastic catches on the front cover without leaving a gap. And even after snapping into place, the fan cover is still not flush with the rear right side edge of the housing, but protrudes about one millimeter. Am I doing something wrong here?

Thank you so much for your help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I don't think you got a used or refurbished kit,

• If you saw a flashlight at some point, it must have been bling in the press kits; AFAIK, it isn't part of the standard kit.
  • That comment is correct; if you have a "...QNX" kit, it does not come with a power cord. The "...QNX#" kits, where # is 1, 2, 3 or 4, *do* come with a regional power cord, however.
  • No protective film? I can't say for sure; I do not remember anything related to that when I was opening the kit (in too much of a hurry to get it running). There may have been some in the press kits but not in the product kits (remember that press kits are hand packaged and there may have been some extras like that).

Yea, the units that I have played with didn't slide in and out all that well either, though they loosen up with time - but I do see that protrusion that you mention (I hadn't noticed it previously; thanks for that, now I can't unsee it).

...S

View solution in original post

2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I don't think you got a used or refurbished kit,

• If you saw a flashlight at some point, it must have been bling in the press kits; AFAIK, it isn't part of the standard kit.
  • That comment is correct; if you have a "...QNX" kit, it does not come with a power cord. The "...QNX#" kits, where # is 1, 2, 3 or 4, *do* come with a regional power cord, however.
  • No protective film? I can't say for sure; I do not remember anything related to that when I was opening the kit (in too much of a hurry to get it running). There may have been some in the press kits but not in the product kits (remember that press kits are hand packaged and there may have been some extras like that).

Yea, the units that I have played with didn't slide in and out all that well either, though they loosen up with time - but I do see that protrusion that you mention (I hadn't noticed it previously; thanks for that, now I can't unsee it).

...S

View solution in original post

Christph
Beginner

Sorry about that and thank you for taking the time to help me out, Scott! That makes me feel a lot better about my new NUC.

I was hoping to find the flashlight in the box, since Intel keeps holding on to that (wonderfully over the top) carrying case with its strap and metal latch retention mechanism. Why put a UV reactive finish on it, when no one will ever notice without the black light? Especially since some fans were disappointed that the skull was no longer illuminated - as in the Hades kit. But of course it makes perfect sense to only give those gimmicks to reviewers.