Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

NUC 9 Pro Kit NUC9VXQNX boot loop with AMD RX 5700 - only happens when IGFX is disabled

Jump to solution

I have install an AMD 5700 GPU in my NUC9VXQNX.

With default BIOS settings (Internal Graphics set to [Auto]), the system will stuck in a boot loop on the screen showing NUC logo and never post.

However, I found that if I force IGFX to be enabled and primary (Internal Graphics set to [Enabled]) in BIOS settings, the system post just fine, and the RX 5700 works perfectly after booting into Windows.

I haven't found any settings that will let it post properly with IGFX disabled. Could it be a bug in the BIOS? Or is it some kind of compatibility issue in AMD's video bios?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Novice

I'm sorry but happy to say: all your suggestions were wrong.

It's not compatibility issue after all. it's just Intel's buggy BIOS firmware. The 0054 BIOS update that came out a few days ago fixed all these problems:

1. No more boot loop, it just works.
  2. iGFX is automatically disabled when discrete GPU is used during boot.
  3. F2/F7/F10 works when using discrete GPU, and has nothing to do with secure boot. 

Update link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/190108/Intel-NUC-9-Pro-Kit-NUC9VXQNX

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Highlighted
Novice

Just saw this post:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-NUCs/NUC9VXQNX-Won-t-Boot-Power-LED-Blinking/m-p/1187552

It's very likely that there's some big issues with GPU in the BIOS of this NUC 9, and now I'm too afraid to change any video related settings.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Test settings combination:

1. Primary Display - [Auto], Internal Graphics - [Auto]

Boot loop.

2. Primary Display - [Auto], Internal Graphics - [Enabled]

HDMI Cable plugged into discrete GPU, works.

3. Primary Display - [IGFX], Internal Graphics - [Enabled]

HDMI Cable plugged into NUC board, works.

4. Primary Display - [PEG], Internal Graphics - [Enabled]

HDMI Cable plugged into discrete GPU, works.

5. Primary Display - [PEG], Internal Graphics - [Auto]

No signal, nothing works. Had to remove discrete GPU and long press power button 3 sec and then reset BIOS settings.

At this point, I think the root of the problem is probably some kind of bug in BIOS.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello EdwardX,

Thank you for posting on the Intel* Community.

Thank you for the feedback, we are currently looking into this behavior with the NUC 9 Pro Kit NUC9VXQNX.

Since you mentioned that you are able to boot into Windows*, can you please provide the below report:

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 

• Intel® SSU Download
  • Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". 
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". 

By any chance, are you able to test the system with a different discrete graphics card? The AMD 5700 that you're using is not listed in our compatibility list. We highly recommend using one of the ones listed there.

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello EdwardX,

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let me know if you need more assistance.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Not sure how this is going to be helpful for a BIOS issue, but here you go.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I tried reinstall windows when HDMI is plugged into RX 5700 and found that before the AMD driver is installed in windows, if I attempted to boot windows with RX 5700, it will get stuck at NUC logo. So, in order to get everything working - it has to be in this order:

1. Install Windows 10 without RX 5700.
  2. Change UEFI primary display to [IGFX], and set IGFX to [Enabled]
  3. Plug RX 5700 into PCI-E
  4. Plug HDMI into IGFX
  5. Boot into Windows and install AMD drivers
  6. Change UEFI primary display to [Auto], leave IGFX to [Enabled]
  7. Plug HDMI into RX 5700
  8. In the end both IGFX and RX 5700 are on, and it can boot with HDMI plugged into either IGFX or RX 5700.

Everything is very stable after booting into Windows. Furmark or AIDA64 stability test shows no issue at all. - So this is definitely not some flaky hardware causing stability issue. 

However, there are a few more weird things around UEFI:

• The boot menu won't be displayed on bottom right when HDMI is plugged into RX 5700. Fast boot is [Disabled]. Keep pressing F2 or F10 during boot won't do anything (my keyboard is USB-C and plugged into thunderbolt). However, I can get into UEFI settings by choosing it from Windows' settings menu.
  • The UEFI settings actually works under RX 5700, just under a very low resolution. Now, interestingly, if I save UEFI settings and exit (even without change). The machine will stuck on NUC logo again, but I found a way out in this case. All I have to do is to plug the HDMI cable into IGFX, reboot and it will successfully boot into windows (no output during boot due to primary display [Auto]). Once it's in windows, I can just plug the HDMI cable back into RX 5700, it reboots just fine, and further reboot have no issue as long as I don't touch anything in UEFI.
  • If I pick a boot device from Windows' settings menu and reboot, and the boot device actually won't boot (e.g. network), it will again enter the boot loop stuck on the NUC logo screen. However, just like the case above, if I boot it once when HDMI in IGFX, everything would got fixed.

I suspect that:

1. There is a bug (or a few) in the UEFI related to IGFX.
    1. You can not set the IGFX memory to more than 1GB or the machine will brick permanently. - LED blinking and won't do anything. - See the other post I linked earlier.
    2. You can not turn IGFX off or it will not boot properly with some discrete GPU.
  2. The failsafe watchdog is partially broken due to IGFX setting being broken. - I guess after a failed boot the failsafe watchdog would attempt to boot with the default settings (IGFX auto - which means off when discrete GPU is installed), which would lead to boot loop and stuck at NUC logo. And somehow plug the HDMI cable into IGFX would force it to boot with IGFX.

- This is just my theory and I have no idea how to actually debug a UEFI firmware issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello EdwardX,

Thank you for all the information provided. We will check this case internally and we will be posting back on this thread as soon as we have more details.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Just want to add that the particular GPU in question is PowerColor Radeon™ RX 5700 ITX 8GB GDDR6: https://www.powercolor.com/product?id=1581404657

This model is currently not sold in the U.S. market, but there is a very similar model for RX 5600 XT available: https://www.amazon.com/PowerColor-ITX-AXRX-5600XT-6GBD6-2DH/dp/B087Y4CQ57

I have compared the hex dump of video BIOS of both cards, and they contains the exactly same GOP (Graphics Output Protocol) section for UEFI, so that the RX 5600 XT would probably expose the same problem.

These are the best AMD GPUs that can fits into NUC 9, and it's a bummer that lots of extra efforts are required to get these to work with NUC 9.

Hope the team will figure out the root cause. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello EdwardX,

Thank you for patiently waiting.

Please see the below results and also some recommendations:

• Primary Display - [Auto], Internal Graphics - [Auto] with Gfx cable connected to the Gfx port on the dGfx card - the systems boots into OS and functions stable. No Boot loops.
  • Same with the following settings Primary Display - [PEG], Internal Graphics - [Auto].
  • If you want to use the system with the Graphics card as a primary display - you have to use the Gfx output from the discrete card, not from the NUC.

Note: If you use the Gfx port on the Gfx card, but still sees the same issue with the boot Loop - it might be the compatibility issue with the discrete Gfx card.

Second issue:

• To be able to work with F2/f7/f10 keys this seems to be expected once Secure boot is enabled.
  • You can disable Secure Boot (Advanced - Secure boot - set Secure Boot to Disabled and Secure Boot mode as Custom), save, and exit. The Hotkeys will be shown during the boot with either discrete Gfx or Integrated Gfx as a primary one.

Please, let me know the outcome.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I'm sorry but happy to say: all your suggestions were wrong.

It's not compatibility issue after all. it's just Intel's buggy BIOS firmware. The 0054 BIOS update that came out a few days ago fixed all these problems:

1. No more boot loop, it just works.
  2. iGFX is automatically disabled when discrete GPU is used during boot.
  3. F2/F7/F10 works when using discrete GPU, and has nothing to do with secure boot. 

Update link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/190108/Intel-NUC-9-Pro-Kit-NUC9VXQNX

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Hello EdwardX,

Thank you for let us know! We're glad to hear that the BIOS version solved your issue!

This thread will be very helpful for other community members.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored. 

Best regards, 

Maria R. 

0 Kudos