Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12125 Discussions

NUC BXNUC10i3FNH Ubuntu core boot encryption key malfunction

DanielTal
Beginner

Hello everyone.

We purchased at our company several units of the BXNUC10i3FNH NUC.

We are installing Ubuntu core on it and using it as a part of an embedded system.

Our installation process is as follows:

We first upgrade the BIOS with the FN0055.cap file as specified in the intel support website.

Then we install the Ubuntu core as specified in the Ubuntu core website.

The bios is configured to:

- power up when plugging the NUC into the power,

- the secure boot is enabled as standard mode.

The installation completes successfully, and the NUC works flawlessly for some time.

The issue is that after some unintended power off and power up (sometimes it happens but most of the times it won't) the ubuntu core boot is stuck at "please enter the recovery key for disk <LONG_DISK_NAME>" (which we don't have, we have never inserted it, it is configured by itself).

After a few minutes, the message is changed to "cannot recover key: the platform's secure device is unavailable: the TPM is in DA lockout mode" (images for both messages attached).

And that's it, we cannot unlock it, and we don't know why it happens.

We then need to reinstall Ubuntu core, but all the data that was on the NUC will be lost after reinstalling.

Does someone know why it may happen and what we can do to prevent it from happening?

Thanks,

Daniel.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Jean_Intel

Hello DanielTal,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

Regarding your issue, letting you know that the Operating System is not listed on the supported list for your unit. The problem seems to be related to the operating system and not the Intel® NUC product. We will try to investigate your issue; however, no promises that we will find a solution.

You mentioned that the issue happens after an unintended power off and power up. Is there any information, such as an error code, to identify the reason behind the unintended power off?

Also, you mentioned that you updated to the BIOS version 0055. There is a newer BIOS version for your unit. Please install the latest BIOS version 0056.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19485/bios-update-fncml357.html

Once the BIOS has been updated to the latest version, please, create a report using the Intel System Support Utility (Intel SSU)  

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

DanielTal
Beginner

Hey jean,

Thank you for your reply.

Regarding the "unintended power off" - what I meant by that is that the NUC has been shut down ungracefully - due to an external power outage. it happens here a lot.

Regarding the OS support - I didn't see any official support of Ubuntu core for new versions of NUC and the OS. the only official support i see are of NUC7 (which is too old to purchase) and Ubuntu core 18. we need Ubuntu core 20.04. (from: https://ubuntu.com/download/intel-nuc).

Regarding the BIOS update - will do.

Regarding the SSU - I cannot boot now due to the issue, so I will need to install the OS again. I don't think I can install the SSU on Ubuntu core. do you want me to install Ubuntu desktop? it will help?

Jean_Intel

Hello DanielTal,

Thanks for your response. I appreciate the information provided.

About the OS support. Intel has only validated two OS as supported for your unit. It doesn't mean that every other OS is unsupported; however, Intel has no information to confirm that the OS will work on your system. If you want, you can check the compatibility list here:

https://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?prodSearch=True&searchTerm=NUC10i3FNH#

Regarding the SSU, the report is not vital, but it would be great to have it since it provides us with information about the environment of your unit. On the other hand, if you can install Ubuntu Desktop. It will help us discard the possibility that the issue is related to the OS image installed being corrupted.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

DanielTal
Beginner

Hey Jean.

I booted to ubuntu desktop via usb and generated the report, in order to to preserve the current disk data and still be able to generate the report you have asked.

File attached (ubuntu.txt).

Thanks.

DanielTal
Beginner

Hey Jean.

After reviewing the link you sent - all the NUC models specified support is for Windows 10/11 OS.

As I mentioned earlier - Ubuntu Core is the only option we have right now because we implement the NUC platform in an embedded system and we need the features that it provides.

We already installed Ubuntu Core on it, which requires Full Disk Encryption using the TPM, and it worked fine for some time. But, as the photos I posted suggest, the issue seems related to the TPM key being locked or corrupt after some power off and on.

Is there any information available about this kind of issue? Are there any measures that need to be taken working with the full disk encryption on the Intel NUC?

Thanks,

Daniel.

Jean_Intel

Hello DanielTal,

Thank you for the information provided.  

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Jean_Intel

Hello DanielTal,

Reviewing your SSU report, I notice that the BIOS is still version 0055. The latest version available is 0056, so please, install the latest BIOS version on your system. 

BIOS 0056 installation file: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19485/bios-update-fncml357.html

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

DanielTal
Beginner

Hey Jean,

BIOS is now updated, the new log is attached.

Jean_Intel

Hello DanielTal,

I want to confirm what is the outcome of updating the BIOS version. Is the unit able to boot into the Ubuntu Core? Does the error message persist? Let me know if there is any particular change in the behavior of your system.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

DanielTal
Beginner

Hey Jean,

This unit is now able to boot into ubuntu core (!).

Do you know for a fact that there is indeed an issue with version 0055 and updating to 0056 will prevent this from happening?

If so - we will update all the units we deployed.

Thanks,

Daniel.

Jean_Intel

Hello DanielTal,

I am glad to hear that your issue is now solved.

Regarding your question, there are no reports of similar issues with the BIOS version 0055, so there is no certificate that there is an issue with this version. However, it is recommended to keep your system up to date since it will prevent your units from facing any problems.

Since your issues are now solved, we will close the thread. If you need additional information, please, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

DanielTal
Beginner

Hey Jean.

I am sorry to inform you that the issue just came back, on the same unit.

I saw that you plan on closing this thread, please know that it is not resolved, I don't understand why it was able to boot just before and now it won't.

We even tried to imitate the bios update process to the same version (0056) and check if it resolves it like before but it won't.

Log file and screen images are attached.

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-16 at 2.00.02 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-16 at 2.00.12 PM.jpeg

Jean_Intel

Hello DanielTal,

I am sorry to hear that the issue has reaper. Thank you for the information provided.  

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Jean_Intel

Hello DanielTal,

Since the Ubunto core is not a validated OS for your system, in addition to that, the unit works as expected when running another operating system (Ubuntu Desktop 20.04). The best practice for your issue should be to contact the OS distributor support to check if they have any suggestions since the problem seems to be related to the OS and not the Intel® NUC 10.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Jean_Intel

Hello DanielTal,

I hope you are doing fine.

I have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.