cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TBrud
New Contributor I

NUC Chassis upgrade?

Hello,

I have a NUC6i7KYK that I'm pretty happy with, but I'm curious how difficult it would be to upgrade to the NUC8I7HVK? I run Windows 10. I assume I could set the graphics driver to a generic VGA one, then move my two M2 drives and RAM into the new chassis and simply re-activate Win10 with updated drivers?

I'm not a gammer but use my NUC for photography... specifically Lightroom so graphics/cpu processing is important....

//Brew

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MLevi
Valued Contributor I

Hi Brudertl,

In terms of your memory and your M.2s, you'll need to also check if they're compatible with the HVK.

You can't simply move your M.2s into the new NUC8i7HVK platform and expect it to work. You will need to install Windows 10 fresh on the new NUC.

NUC8i7HVK Compatibility

http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails/ExportPeripheralInfo?moduleName=Intel%C2%AE%20NUC... http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails/ExportPeripheralInfo?moduleName=Intel%C2%AE%20NUC...

I do a lot of work on video, photography, and music on the HVK, and they're great. I have no problems with Adobe products.

martmann
New Contributor I

If your current system has a M.2 with a SATA 3 interface, you may also want to upgrade (if you do get a Hades Canyon NUC) to one with PCIe NVME interface, for 5 times the Storage performance.

I know it makes a difference in Saving/Opening a file, or copying and pasting a large group of objects in Corel Graphics Suite, I imagine similar results in Adobe.

It always makes me sad to see the PCIe NVME interface ignored.

TBrud
New Contributor I

Oh I'm using PCIe NVME drives. They are AMAZING!

Specifically I'm using the Samsung 960 Pro 256GB..

This is why I think I can simply move the drives/ram into the new NUC chassis and simply reactive Windows without re-installation.

//Brew

martmann
New Contributor I

I also have a few systems with 960 Pros, Amazing does describe them well.

I don't think you will even be able to start windows by just swapping in the M.2 cards, chipset and graphics drivers being the main thing I would worry about. I have only had luck swapping a windows drive between boards with the same chipset (or very close, say an H to a Q of the same chipset) and graphics.

MLevi
Valued Contributor I

Please share your experiences with that approach.