cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

NUC DC3217IYE boot looping after BIOS update

Hello,

I attempted to update my NUC (DC3217IYE) BIOS to the latest release. The update was going normally upto the message "flashing firmware for video" and then the screen then went off and the NUC seemed to shut down (fan spun down). After a second or so the fans spun up again and the light flashed on and off 3 times (0.5 seconds), repeats (i.e. another set of 3 flashes) and then the NUC shuts down again (fans spun down). This process repeats infinitly. I left it alone for 30 mins, then unplugged it and tried to turn it on but it just does the same thing (2 sets of flashing then power cycle). There is no video out at all.

So far I have run through the “Intel NUC - No Boot Troubleshooting Wizard” and tried the “BIOS Recovery” using the “Power Button Menu” and the "Jumper" methods per the Intel support, neither could solve my issue (as in neither have any effect on the flashing/power looping described above).

I have tried removing all components (SSD, wifi card) and booting with just one stick of RAM at a time with no effect.

Contacting Intel was of no use as its a discontinued model (they told me they no longr offer any support).

Does anyone have any ideas? Or is my NUC dead?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Three flashes is memory issue. Hhmmm... Try powering it on with SODIMMs removed. Do you see the proper three-flash sequence then?
...S
Highlighted
Novice

Thanks so much for you response. I have tried with no memory installed and with every possible combination of my memory 1 stick at a time in each slot. Identical behaviour from my NUC (2 sets of 3 flashes, and then a power loop with no video out).

I had seen 3 flashes was memory, although it seems odd that my memory would spontaniusly fail at the exact same time as flashing the bios?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

In order to clarify my issue I have made a short video of the power button LED for 3 cases:

1. No RAM installed ("0 DIMM.mp4")

2. I stick of RAM installed ("1 DIMM.mp4")

3. Both sticks of RAM installed ("2 DIMM.mp4")

Maybe this will help?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Well, that is definitely the memory initialization failure blink code. I am surprised to see the disk access flashes in each cycle, however. 

Have you tried reinstalling this latest BIOS via the jumper-based BIOS Recovery process?

...S

Highlighted
Novice

Thanks again for your help.

I have tried as described below:

1. Formatted USB to FAT32 using Windows 10 PC (quick format unchecked).

2. Copied latest bios file onto root directory of USB (GK0069.bio)

3. Removed SSD and yellow jumper and 1 stick of RAM from NUC (left 1 stick installed).

4. Inserted USB into NUC, plugged NUC in and powered on.

5. Repeated step 4 with no RAM installed (i.e. removed installed stick).

Resulting video files attached.

To only notable difference I can see from the tests is when 1 stick of RAM is installed there are 2 sets of 3 blinks before the fans spin down and the NUC restarts compared to just 1 set when no RAM is installed?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Ok. We've exhausted all of my thoughts on what to try. I have a ping into the validation team to see if they have any additional ideas. Since Intel Customer Support is not going to help with a discontinued model, this may be the only way we can get additional ideas. Unfortunately, the team will not respond until back in the office tomorrow (Monday).

...S

Highlighted
Novice

Thanks so much for your help, it is very much appreciated!

Just as an additional note, I have just tried another power supply (as that is the only thing I had not tried to date) with the same result so I can probably rule that out as well.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor III

What BIOS were you upgrading from? Did you make sure the BIOS file was the only BIO file in the root of your flash drive? Have you tried different RAM from what you were using? Did you try removing the battery and letting the system sit for a few minutes to clear the NVRAM? 

Highlighted
Novice

OK, some success!

I borrowed a stick of known working RAM and I was able to use it to re-flash the BIOS using the jumper method and then boot my NUC

My old sticks (matched pair) still do not work. Question I have is, is it possible the new BIOS revision has slightly different default RAM settings making my old sticks incompatible with the new BIOS, or is it more likely both sticks spontaneously died at the exact same time I flashed the new BIOS?

The stick that worked was 1333, my old sticks are 1066. Both are 1.5v.

Thanks for your help, at least I know the NUC is alive

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

A little googling revealed this: https://dancwilliams.com/intel-nuc-memory-and-bios-gotcha/

Note: The memory reference code in BIOS version 0046 was updated as a part of the changes made in the BIOS to meet Microsoft Windows 8.1 requirements. This new memory code no longer supports 1066 MHz memory modules.

Highlighted
New Contributor III

Good job. I was wondering the same thing as I know some of the older NUCs did not support certain types of memory chips in later BIOSs. I think it was some of the Haswell and Atom NUCs and earlier that had this change. Your DIMMs are probably still good, just not supported on the NUC any longer.

Highlighted
Novice

Thanks for your help mate, much appreciated! Its great to get this solved.

0 Kudos