cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor I

NUC HVK (Hades) loud fan

Hi all

After getting my replacement unit from intel after a faulty unit I have noticed my new units fans run a lot plunder. Generally on idle they sit at 1200-1600 rpm and when opening programs even Edge, they ramp up to around 2200. Watching movies they sit pretty high. The only plus I have noticed is the unit (cpu, gpu and nvme) run much cooler.

Anyone else’s unit do this?

Build date May 2020
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

Hi @SRyan10 

1. I've NUC8i7HVK, build at 08/2018. It is working very quiet. Actually I can't hear the blower when NUC working in idle.  The Cooling settings in BIOS are set to default Balanced mode.

2. I'm attaching image showing blowers speed development during idle, internet browsing and video streaming from YouTube site. The speed varies between 750 and 1200 RPM. Most time about 900 RPM.

Leon

Blowers.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Thanks Leon, that is the same as my old unit. My dad has one that build and runs the same. We are the same bios and all, mine also on balanced mode.

Runs average between 1200 to 1600 and when opening applications runs around 2000-2200. Only upside is everything runs much cooler but not sure if it’s throttling or an issue with the sensors for temperature? Hope not!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

I'm attaching my cooling settings. Compare the values to settings on your NUC.

Leon

coolingSettings.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hi there

my build 10th July 18 and my bios same as Lwaksman with similar readings.

Hwinfo also similar.

Also worth noting that Sryan10 is running an identical setup to me as far as hardware (ssd, ram) and bios and software (win 10 version).

Only difference we could pick apart from build date was a different baseboard version in system info.

Paul

20200626_063016_HDR (Large).jpg

Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

First, I recommend that you turn off the Fan Off feature. This can actually cause fan surges. It is better to have fan running at some minimum level all the time.

Secondly, this so-called default configuration is horribly broken as far as I am concerned. The active duty cycle is determined with a y=mx+b type of algorithm, where 'm' is number of degrees above minimum, 'x' is Duty Cycle Increment and 'b' is minimum duty cycle. Does this equation reach 100% duty cycle before the temperature reaches Tjmax? No, it doesn't, so it is broken. Try these settings instead:

Primary = Processor Temperature

• Minimum Duty Cycle = 20%
  • Minimum Temperature = 70c
  • Duty Cycle Increment = 4
  • This says uniformly increase from 20% duty cycle to 100% duty cycle over the 70c to 90c range.

Secondary = Motherboard temperature

• Minimum Duty Cycle = 20%
  • Minimum Temperature = 60c
  • Duty Cycle Increment = 4%
  • This says uniformly increase from 20% duty cycle to 100% duty cycle over the 60c to 80c range.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

I agree with Scott that the default setting on Cooling tab are "broken" as he says. According to those settings when the CPU will reach temperature of  95 Deg C (40 Deg C delta), the fan RPM will reach only 70% of max RPM. It is better than in such temperatures fan will rotate at 100%. Usually in my other NUCs, I customize those setting. However, in Hades Canyon I did not find any reason to this, since the actual RPM varies between 700 and 1200 RPM (while the temperatures are between 55 and 70 Deg C). With small Duty Cycle Increment the fan noise is not disturbing.   The question should be asked why in NUC build in 2018 with those "broken" settings, the NUC is quiet and cool, while the new production NUC is not?

Leon

Highlighted
New Contributor I

Well actually the new build is cooler with the same setup and settings by 10 degrees but at the expense of the more aggressive fan speeds.

Paul
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hi LWAKSMAN

Bios settings for balanced are same
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hi LWAKSMAN

As you can see from the attached, my fans average 1500rpm at idle, and go up to 2000 and as low as 1200, sometimes down to around 700.

A result of this is my cpu pch and ssd slots run almost 10.c colder than your unit and PRyan4’s.

Difference is different baseboard version and build date 05/20.

Scott Pearson - haven’t had a chance to try the new settings as you suggested but seems to only be my unit that’s different from PRyan4 and LWAKSMAN
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Ok, try the alternate configuration when you have some spare time and let us know.

BTW, the PCH can sustain higher temperatures than the processor, so having it run cooler isn't that big a win. Mine is sitting at 49/50c most of the time and the fans are at 480 RPM while system is idle

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hi all

Re installed a few drivers and updates and the system seems to run a lot quieter..

During some intensive applications or video playing it ramps up a bit but far less than before. System seems to still be running at the same colder temps provided before.

Have left settings in bios for now. Thanks for support will keep monitoring