Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

NUC HVK + Samsung 960 PRO + USB boot stick = A media driver your computer needs is missing

Hello Back to Windows land... and problems with installation I am using USB boot image for Windows and target device is 960 PRO Problems with MBR were solved (NUC does not seem to support legacy boot, I could not see that option in BIOS anyway): i formatted installation media as GPT and copied installation files to to it. Installation starts, but now Windows installer gives me an error: A media driver your computer needs is missing I can not even understand, does this message refers to installation media or the target drive... Which drivers I need more? Installation media should be O.K., it was used more than once for installation

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

Prepare your installation media using Media Creation Tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 Download Windows 10

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi Leon

Thanks for this! Actually I managed to pass that by upgrading to BIOS ver 40 AND reformatting install media to FAT16

Now I am getting "Windows detected that the EFI system partition was formatted as NTFS. Format the EFI system partition as FAT32 and restart the installation."

My God, four hours and I am not yet half there... but that seems to be Windows problems in any case, will overcome

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

I'm glad to hear that you succeeded with the Windows installation. I think that this is not Windows problem, rather your procedure wasn't the best one. If you had follow the right procedure, the time to install Windows (once you have the correct installation media) on your NUC should not exceed 15 minutes: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html Windows 10 Help Forums

Good luck

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

When performing the Windows 10 installation, when you hit the scene where you specify where to install Windows 10, make sure you completely delete any existing partitions on the SSD and then tell Windows to install to the unpartitioned space (which completely encompasses the drive now that you've deleted the existing partitions). This fixes the UEFI issues as well as ensuring that Window 10 controls the partition layout (which is actually a good thing currently).

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Thanks Scott

Yes problem was with initial partitioning, at some moment I succeeded (I think it was when I told windows to use all unpartitioned space).

Before that I tried to set up a smaller partition. Now Windows works

0 Kudos