Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12532 Discussions

NUC X15 Nvidia GPU related battery life problem

PSEL
Beginner

The power draw of Nvidia GPU is abnormally high, causing a short battery life even when the GPU is at idle. The normal value of GPU power draw should be around 10w on other laptops, but on NUC X15(3070)  it's usually above 22w.

Early post mentioned the problem:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-NUCs/X15-Battery-life-extremely-impacted-by-GeForce-Nvidia-Expe...

The problem, I think, is that the GPU keeps waking up. The post above said this could be solved by reinstalling driver using DDU. But that doesn't help in my situation. In fact I don't think changing GPU driver could solve the problem after many tries.

Other X15 users reported the same problem in my chat group, so I don't think it‘s an exception.

TEST:

In GPU-Z when the system is at idle

PSEL_0-1654057063977.png

Run FurMark:

PSEL_2-1654057160821.png

You can clearly see the drop of Board Power Draw and the GPU doesn't wake up frequently anymore.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
PSEL
Beginner

Thanks for your reply!

I think I have found the problem.

If I don't run FurMark and GPU-Z, the battery life is normal, consuming 15% of the battery per hour.

But if I run FurMark and GPU-Z, the laptop consumes 33% of the battery per hour.

I think the drop of Board Power Draw is simply due to the inaccurate sensor readings when the GPU is at idle. In fact, the battery life is not extended if I run FurMark.  So as long as I don't run them, the battery life is normal.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @PSEL

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to review this further, could you please provide the following information?

1- On average, how long does the battery last when this behavior happens?

2- Is this a new laptop? Did you notice this behavior since the first day you have the device? Or did it show "better battery life performance" before at some point?

3- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system:

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

PSEL
Beginner

Thanks for your reply!

I think I have found the problem.

If I don't run FurMark and GPU-Z, the battery life is normal, consuming 15% of the battery per hour.

But if I run FurMark and GPU-Z, the laptop consumes 33% of the battery per hour.

I think the drop of Board Power Draw is simply due to the inaccurate sensor readings when the GPU is at idle. In fact, the battery life is not extended if I run FurMark.  So as long as I don't run them, the battery life is normal.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello PSEL

Thank you for your response.

We are glad to know that you managed to solve the problem by avoiding running the programs FurMark* and GPU-Z*, which are the ones that seem to cause the behavior. In this case, our recommendation is to report this behavior to the software developers for further debugging from their side.

Since the thread has been marked as "Solved", we will proceed to close it now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you for the feedback. Hopefully, it may help other users experiencing similar behavior.

It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician