Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC for boat (or car/RV)

I am a computer user and finding it frustrating to narrow down a NUC to fit my needs. Looking for help in finding a range/generation or specific unit.  I am not a gamer as well, however plotting a course down the East coast can be considered gaming. For a boat, the main consideration is Watts used for the most processing power. Is TDP the spec for this? Less the better and usually fanless helps. A fan would also pump moist/salty air through the thing. It would be in a cabinet and similar to a car/RV out of the weather installation. A heat sink case would be a good option.

As far as specs:

This would be regular desktop use with open office, CAD and navigation software. Similar to this:

https://digitalyachtamerica.com/product/aqua-compact-pro-plus/

Sure, I could buy this, but a backup unit would be even more expensive.

Nav software graphics can be intense with radar/weather overlay. Time Zero requirements are:

CPU 1.5 GHz
4GB of RAM
Video Board:
Minimum - Intel HD Graphic Chipset
Recommended - Dedicated Video Board with 1 GB VRAM or Intel HD 4th generation or above
Screen Resolution: 1024 x 600 or higher (1280 x 800 or above recommended)
Hard Disk: 30 GB of free space

Ideally I would run Linux-Mint and Wine to run windows apps. I am tired of windows unnecessary bloat and eating bandwidth bandwidth for updates. 

Thanks,

Any input appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Based upon everything that I can see, the Aqua Compact Pro Plus product appears to be an Intel NUC with memory, storage and O/S added. Specifically, it looks to be based upon the NUC10i7FNH NUC kit product.

Just to be sure, I also looked at the Aqua Compact Pro product. It appears to be the NUC5i3RYH kit product with memory, storage and O/S added.

Now, both of these products do utilize a blower for cooling. According to what you have said, this is a problem for the nautical environment. If you are seriously interested in a product without a blower, I can see whether an Intel Compute Element-based design might fit the bill.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

That would be helpful. I did look at "Elements" and wasn't sure what it was about. Seemed like additional options. 

Is it correct to use TDP to determine watts or power used?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

TDP numbers represents (just) the processor. The other components on and attached to the NUC's baseboard need to be counted as well.
I am still waiting for more information from Intel Marketing regarding the Elements products.
...S
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello @Les_Noble

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We hope that the information provided by the community has been helpful to clarify your concern. Since we have not heard back from you we will proceed to close this inquiry now from our end. Communications with community peers can continue, but if you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

There is a quite expensive but fanless completely passively cooled enclosure from AKASA named 'Pascal MC/MD' for Intel NUC boards of the 5th, 6th and 7th generation which is IP64 certified (waterproof). Waterproof cables are also included.

NUC Gen.6 (Skylake) runs quite well with linux (I'am using ArchLinux on it), the power usage is approx. 7-10watts IDLE max. depends on CPU (i3/i5) and settings. I think you will not see much more than 30watts under heavy load (cpu + gpu). 

0 Kudos