Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

NUC hangs at Intel bios logo when a 2 Tb NVMe Drive is connected/Inserted in PCI M.2 Slot as a secondary Drive, Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i3BNH/B

Hello

I have an Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i3BNH/B Series. when a "1 Tb" NVMe Drive is connected/Inserted in PCI M.2 Slot as a secondary Drive, I have no problem in booting the device through the SATA Interface from the Primary Drive.

BUT I just bought a 2 Tb NVMe(M.2") and when it is connected as Secondary Drive Inserted to the same PCI Slot, the Nuc won't boot, it gets stuck on the Intel Nuc logo, without being able to even go to the Bios.

Of course the latest bios is installed, I'm very Disappointed with this situation...

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

Re: NUC hangs at Intel bios logo when a 2 Tb NVMe Drive is connected/Inserted in PCI M.2 Slot as a secondary Drive, Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i3BNH/B

1. While you see the Intel logo, press on F10 to enter into Boot Menu.
  2. In Boot Menu, select your SATA drive to boot into Windows.

3. Use the Windows key + X keyboard shortcut to open the Power User menu and select Disk Management.

·        If you don't see the 2TB NVMe drive in Disk Management, press Action in menu and then Rescan Discs.

•    If your see the new drive but it is not initialized, Right-click the drive marked as "Unknown" and "Not Initialized," and select Initialize Disk.
  •    Select GPT (GUID Partition Table) and press OK
  •    Once the drive is initialized, right-click the Unallocated space, and select New Simple Volume
  •    Click Next.
  •    Choose the volume size or leave the default size if you're planning to use the entire hard drive to store files.
  •    Click Next.
  •    Select a drive letter from the drop-down menu.
  •    Click Next.
  •    Select the NTFS file system.
  •    On "Allocation unit size," leave the Default option.
  •   Type a descriptive name in Volume label field.
  •   Clear the Perform a quick format option.
  •   Click Next.
  •   Click Finish. Once you completed the steps, Windows 10 will set up a new partition and properly format the hard drive.
  •  
  •   If your drive is initialized, you need only to format it.  Right-click the drive you want and click Format.
  •   Type a descriptive name.
  •   Select the NTFS file system.
  •   On "Allocation unit size," leave the Default option.
  •   Clear the Perform a quick format option.
  •   Click OK.
  •   Click OK on the warning message. Once the formatting process completes, you can then begin to store files on the hard drive.

Hope this helps

Leon

P.S. Your NUC will be much faster if you will use this M.2 MVMe drive as a primary System drive, instead of using the SATA drive for this task. However, you need to move all your system and programs to the NVMe drive

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Re: NUC hangs at Intel bios logo when a 2 Tb NVMe Drive is connected/Inserted in PCI M.2 Slot as a secondary Drive, Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i3BNH/B

Hello MAbbi, Were you able to check Leon's post? Let me know if you need any more assistance. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi Lwaksman,

I​ agreed with your reply for my query,

But the issue I was facing is a quite different..

My O.S drive is the sata interface drive 2.5" and the problem is , I was connected a NVMe 2TB capacity drive M.2 to PCIe slot for extend the storage volume .

According to my knowledge whatever the drive we are connecting as a secondary, O.S should boot from the SATA Interface ​which I was connected as a primary drive and in the BIOS...Boot menu priority is SATA .

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi David,

Can you confirm

Firstly:

what was the SATA and PCIe/NVMe SSD's higher storage compatibility​ for the NUC's?

Secondly:​

​​Whether the NUC's will support the up to 2TB capacity or not??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi @MAbbi​ 

1. I've understand your problem correctly and I believe that my instructions are correct.
  2. When you enter into Bios settings Advanced > Devices > SATA , do you see there your NVMe 2TB drive recognised? If so, you may go according to my instructions and should be able to boot from Boot Menu after choosing your system drive.
  3. Once your drive will initialised to GPT partition and formatted, you will be able to use it as you intend.
  4. But again, I've wrote above, using a SATA drive as a system drive and MVMe drive as a data drive is wrong decision. You can use the M.2 drive for System and Data as well. The old SATA drive you may use for Data only.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi Leon,

I have gone through your instructions as you mentioned .. but i was stuck the at 2nd step it self.

1. While you see the Intel logo, press on F10 to enter into Boot Menu.-----> I can able see the drives both SATA and NVMe and selected the SATA drive which is the System Drive to boot.
  2. In Boot Menu, select your SATA drive to boot into Windows.------> Result was the Blank Screen, it`s not Booting the OS from the system drive.

i agreed with this

using a SATA drive as a system drive and MVMe drive as a data drive is wrong decision. You can use the M.2 drive for System and Data as well. The old SATA drive you may use for Data only..

But ,

Using a SATA drive as a system drive and MVMe drive as a data drive is the requirement for me.

according to my suspect , NUC`s will support only upto 1TB . if i am wrong just give me the instructions , how to resolve this.

Manideep Abbireddy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi Manideep Abbireddy,

1. I don't know any limitation for supporting 2TB drive in NUC. Any way, way for Intel confirmation.
  2. Did you enter Bios settings?
  3. Is the device recognised by bios? If yes there is your answer about supporting.
  4. Try to reset bios to default settings. While in bios, pres F9 confirmed by "y" and then F10 confirmed by "Y".
  5. You may also try (just for test), remove the SATA drive and to install Windows on the NVMe drive. You may check this way that this drive is working and not causing to this problem. May be this drive specifically is not compatible with your NUC (not because of the size, but the model). Please check the list of compatible drives: http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails/ExportPeripheralInfo?moduleName=Intel%C2%AE%20NUC... . In this list I can see Samsung 2TB 960 PRO NVME MZ-V6P2T0 drive, validated by Intel.

Regards

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi Leon,

1. First the NVMe Drive was detecting in the Boot Menu but not in the BIOS Menu.
  2. After Reset the defaults settings i was able to see the Drive in the BIOS Menu also, still the system was not booting from the system drive.
  3. Still i was at the Black screen after restarting the System.
  4. If it was Drive Issue the same drive i was connected to one of the NVMe support Laptop is booting with system drive.
  5. What might be the issue for the NUC ?

Manideep.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi Manideep,

1. Enter Bios settings Advanced > Boot and check that your SATA drive is first in the boot order on both: UEMI and Legacy boot.
  2. Try to boot from Boot Menu (F10).

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi Leon ,

Yeah, SATA is in the first boot priority, even though it's not booting from the system drive...

What might be the issue?.. I will try with another vendor drive which Intel validated.

If it's booting with ​the other vendor drive , it might be the issue from vendor specific ..

Manideep​.

Highlighted
Employee

Hello MAbbi, Please let me know if you were able to try a different drive and if it worked properly. Let me know if you need more assistance. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello MAbbi, Let us know if you need any more assistance. I will be here to help. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi David,

I will update you ASAP, Once I have done with the other drive,

It will take time to get the other vendor drive..

Thanks,

Manideep.​

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello MAbbi, Thank you for your response. I understand. For now then I will proceed to close this request but you can respond whenever you are ready if more assistance is required. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos