Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ACarb1
Beginner

NUC i7 with Thunderbolt 3 - Power via Monitor

I just bought an INTEL NUC i7-7567U 4.00 GHZ Windows 10 Pro - DDR4 16 GB RAM - SSD 512 M2 - 1TB HD with Thnderbolt port 3. I would like to know if I can use the Type-C USB port of my Lenovo X1 monitor to power the NUC.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

No, you cannot. The NUC does not include any support for negotiating power format (voltage and wattage) nor does it have support for accepting power via the USB-C connector (its power is input via a separate connector).

Sorry,

...S

ACarb1
Beginner

so I have to power up the NUC with its power supply but I can connect it to the monitor via Thunderbolt 3... however the lightning symbol is present in the rear of the NUC!

Many tks

a

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Yes, that is correct.

...S

ACarb1
Beginner

Maybe something is not clear to me ...

I Kindly ask you to help me to understand if the connections are correct.

- I connect the NUC to 220v

- I connect the Monitor to the 220v (Monitor Lenovo x1 with USB input/output Type-c but no Thunderbolt)

I connect the NUC via Thunderbolt cable to the Monitor

In this way it should work both the monitor and USB 3.1 in the monitor... correct ?

Many tks

idata
Community Manager

Hello AC2018,

Thank you for joining this Intel Community.

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to get display in your Lenovo* monitor. If this is the case, then you can do it via the USB Type-C (DP1.2) port you are mentioning or via HDMI*. Additionally, in order to power your Intel® NUC, you have to use the power adapter that came with the unit.

Wanner G.
idata
Community Manager

Hello AC2018,

I hope you found the information provided helpful.

If you still need any assistance, I will be glad to assist you.

Wanner G.
ESpoe
Beginner

The lightning bolt is the Thunderbolt symbol. If it supports power it will sometimes have a symbol next to the port for PD or AC/DC.

- - -

___

If you look at a photo of the back of the Asus Chromebox 3 or the Acer CXI3 or the HP Chromebox G2 you'll see a USB-C port that also supports charging.

Most Thunderbolt ports do support power delivery output but not all support power delivery input.