Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC i7DHNE BIOS Version 0069 won't install; freezes

When I updated to 0068 my computer got to this weird state where it won't boot up or come back from sleep unless it is power reset. So I just saw the new 0069 update and thought I would give it a try to see if it would fix these issues. When I ran the .MSI file it restarted, but I had to unplug the charger from the wall and plug it back in again to get it to boot. When it booted up, which is longer than it was before 0068 (black screen for 10 seconds and then all the sudden it just boots normally), it said "Please wait while we install a system update". Nothing happened. The keyboard and mouse froze (lost power) and I had to force shut it down to get out it. I also noticed when it booted back into Windows, that it gave a notification that said it needed to be restarted to finish setting up DN0069. I went into Device Manager and there was a warning icon next to DN0069 under firmware. Restarting it does nothing, and it's also a pain because I have to unplug it and re plug it in to get it to boot.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

1. Try to update BIOS using Recovery Method from Power Button Menu. If you have Optane Memory enabled, disable it before recovering BIOS.

2. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 (disable quick format option during format). Format your USB on Windows machine (rather than Linux or MAC). Save the Bios file  DNi70069.bio on this stick and insert it into rear USB port.

3. Press and hold Power Button for about 3 seconds. Count 1001, 1002, 1003,1004. Release the Power Button. NUC should reboot into Power Button Menu. You should release the Power Button before 4-sec shut down override or when the Power Button LED changes color from blue to amber.

4. Press F4 and the recovery shall start (it can take up to 30 seconds for messages to appear on the screen).

5. When the recovery finishes, press on Power Button and hold it, until NUC switches OFF. Pull out the power cord. Remove the USB stick.

6. Replace the power cord and press Power Button to switch the computer to ON.

7. Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.

8. Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.

9.If before update, you have customized bios settings, you can enter again to Bios setting to change the necessary settings. 

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor III

First off, don't use the Windows BIOS updater to flash to 0069 if you are having reboot issues. Having to pull power after the system reboots to start the flash will corrupt the flash process and may damage your NUC.  Make sure you are using the correct DN BIOS for your model of NUC. Use the DN0069.BIO file and F7 flash update to do the BIOS update.  Put the DN0069.BIO file on a FAT32 formatted flash drive and then power down the system. Power back on and press F7 to start a BIOS Flash. Select the DN0069.BIO file from your flash drive and press Enter. Your system should start flashing to the new BIOS.

DON'T touch the system until it finishes the flash and has rebooted back into Windows. Then reboot and enter BIOS Setup and load default settings (F9), add any custom settings you had before, then save settings and reboot (F10).